Can I get some help re. raising DSR for ship time?

OK,

Today Xena's smug little bubble burst and her DSR for ship time dropped to 4.7, snivel LOL!

It was the FB from Italy that did it (7 weeks in transit) but it also demonstrated that I was teetering on the brink anyhow.

I always ship within 24 hours of receiving payment and send out a ship confirmation and request to leave FB when the package arrives.

I will be re-writing that mail to reflect a ship time clarification.

Could I get some input as to text? Your ideas, together with my thoughts will form part of my new confirmation email.

I am looking for ideas that make sense to the buyer without sounding condescending. Sine the DSR's will be a rolling 30-day window in the future, I believe that it can make a difference if we can "educate" the buyer".

Xena
Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

RE: post #55. Hi Judy, Maybe the last few lines are enough:

I think you are right ciderantiques. I remember trying to make it as short as possible when I wrote it, but the last line really says it all and gives them the information I wanted to convey to them

And thank you Jeff.

Judy
Message 61 of 75
latest reply

Just an update.

Began emailing my modified shipping confirmation aprx. 2 weeks ago and also included a similar note in my shipments.

My shipping time star went up to 4.8 again.

I believe that including a note in the shipment helps as it is a reminder to leave FB and, more importantly, it suggests how to evaluate the "shipping time". This is the note I include:

Hello and thank you for buying from me. I trust that the merchandise you received fully meets or exceeds your expectations.

When you get a chance, could you perhaps log into eBay and leave me some feedback? That would be greatly appreciated and I will certainly reciprocate in kind.

A NOTE TO FEEDBACK:
eBay has implemented a 5-Star rating system. When rating me for “shipping time”, please keep in mind that this refers to how quickly the seller ships after receiving payment (I ship within 24 hours) and NOT how long the package takes to arrive to you, as the seller has absolutely no control over Canada Post’s delivery times.

It has been a pleasure serving you, thanks again for your business and I hope that you will “visit” again soon.

Xena Look
(xenalook on eBay)
Message 62 of 75
latest reply

ciderantiques
Community Member
Good ! Glad to hear you got you numbers back. Karen.
Message 63 of 75
latest reply

My star is lower in shipping costs than shipping time. Would it be appropriate to include something regarding higher shipping costs in Canada?

BTW, I love the idea of including it in the package. I've been trying to figure out the best way to word it and love your example.

Shari
Message 64 of 75
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Photobucket

I'm trying this in some 99 cent auctions on a secondary ID I haven't used in 4 years. This ID has no DSR rating yet, so I can really get a good feel for If it helps the shipping DSR's.
Message 65 of 75
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
I've reduced it in size to fit in the forum window, it's full size in the listings. I think you can still read it though.
Message 66 of 75
latest reply

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
Tea, you are not afraid than instead of helping your DSR, you will loose buyers and sales with this message, which means in other words 'if you buy from us, expect problems with shipping"... ?

I always ship within 24h too, and also have 4,7 in DSR for shipping time... I think there is nothing to do against it.

The only good idea to help your DSR would be to include your business card in the package, with a message on the back :

Hope your local postal service delivered your item quickly, as I has very quickly been shipped within 24h. If it took longer than you expected, be sure it is not because you didn't also received the very prompt service that all our customers receive. Thank you for your understanding that we always do our very best to compensate the possible delay caused by customs and USPS/Canada Post lack of reliability.

... something like that.

Hope it helps!

Eric
Message 67 of 75
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Hi Eric, well so far so good. I have 20 items ending today on one of my other ID's that have this message in them. So far 15 have bidders, even some bidders from USA. Now the idea is, how can I get a bad rating from my buyers when they definitely knew up front how lousy the shipping services would be?
Message 68 of 75
latest reply

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
Hi Tea, great news for these items that sold. I just meant that you should keep an eye on how many items will sell and final price in the coming weeks, and compare with BEFORE the change.

Also, I tried a few calculations about having a DSR above 4.8 everywhere (this is exactly what I am trying to do these days, just like you and most Canadian PS here). For the moment I know I have 5% rebate on final value fees. To get another 10% to get eBay's 15% attractive offer, I will have to lower the shipping cost even if I convince each of my buyers to give 5/5 stars on shipping time.

This means I will have to pay shipping material from my own pocket and not make a cent on handling time (and you know just as I know that it is a time wasting process. And time is money here, isn't it?). But that money/time I will lose, is it really going to payback with 15% rebate on final value fees ? Not so sure... And we didn't talk about the constant anxiety related to your DSR. If you have to always keep 4.8 everywhere to feel good working here, I predict you will wake up at night to stress about it.

I am not trying to discourage anyone here, by the way. I am also trying to get at least 4.8 everywhere, this is about perspective I am talking here. Do you best to get it without loosing too much time/money, but the world won't collide if you don't have take advantage of the 15% rebate.

In other words, just take care of not going berzerk with your DSR. You probably wanted to work at home and not have a boss always asking more from you. Just like me, you felt trapped being an employee, and you had the guts to jump from the cliff. You wanted more freedom probably, so take care of not becoming too anxious with it, result could be worst than having a 9 to 5 employee job, with someone else making a lot of money on your back.

Do you best, do not stress !
Message 69 of 75
latest reply

It would be so easy for eBaY to notify USA Buyers that shipments from outside of USA can and will normally take much longer to arrive than local domestic shipments.

eBaY just refuses to get involved and create a level playing field. So any solution that a sellers can come-up with that helps them is a good one - not to say that their solution may work for everyone - it may for some and not for others.

On our end we are trying the FEEDBACK insert notice which sofar has not produced any results that we can measure since our DSR ratings have not moved despite several pages of positives with comments like FAST SHIPPPING, etc.

Without knowing the secret formula eBaY uses to calculate your DSR rating kinda hard to measure your performance.

Anyone know or have an idea of how many low vs high DSR ratings one needs to move up the scale. If you get a low DSR Rating how many positives will it take to overcome that low DSR rating?

Oh well, back to work.

Cheers,

TIM @ FTL
Message 70 of 75
latest reply

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
So far 15 have bidders, even some bidders from USA. Now the idea is, how can I get a bad rating from my buyers when they definitely knew up front how lousy the shipping services would be?

Thing is, did they read this part of the description. I have clear PAYMENT, SHIPPING and RETURN sections on each items description, answering 99% of possible questions, but I still receive many questions that are answered in description... People don't read entire items descriptions, that is the problem. Nobody needs a test of IQ to get a PayPal account and make purchases on eBay, if you know what I mean...

The best way would be to definitely include also a short letter in the package to recapitulate what you said in your description. I found one great example above in this discussion, from westernstargifts .
Message 71 of 75
latest reply

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
futuretech_liquidations,

About what eBay could do to improve buyers' undestanding about items shipped for outside USA, I think the problem is about the meaning of the word SHIPPING in the sentence

"Was your item shipped quickly?"

...Instead, many buyers will read

"Was your item delivered quickly?"

I hate the word SHIPPING, it is a confusing word X-(
Message 72 of 75
latest reply

purse_of_the_legionary
Community Member
from outside USA, I meant
Message 73 of 75
latest reply

I ship my items almost immediately. The shipping to US takes usually 5 days (check my feedbacks!). Of course, I still have DSR 4.7 for the shipping time. In this situation, I decided to ship the items BEFORE THE AUCTIONS STARTS. It works like that: the buyer wins the auction and the item IS ALREADY in his/her home! Just after the auction finishes, he/she goes to the kitchen (bedroom) and opens the box with the item! How it sounds? 😉 I am sure, I will get 4.8 or even 4.9 very shortly! 😉
Message 74 of 75
latest reply

LOL - just wondering how you figure out who to send the item to before the auction ends - or do you just mail one out to all current bidders on the item.
Message 75 of 75
latest reply