Can a seller charge me for Paypal fees they incur?

This is a message I received from a recent seller (translated from French):  "According to my ads, I sent you the invoice with shipping by registered letter and Paypal feesIf you choose another payment method, all necessary information is included in the message accompanying the billI must also say that there is a way to transfer money through Paypal absolutely free. If you are interested, I can explain the procedure."  

My question is.. can a seller put the onus of Paypal Fees on me the buyer because they feel they are exorbitant?  He did state it in his Ebay Ad,  but I did not notice.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The seller cannot charge a separate amount. They must include all incurred costs into his item price or single ship price.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

He sent you an invoice by Registered Letter?

This guy is weird.

And no he can't add anything to his advertised shipping cost. It is firm once he puts it on his listing.

Personally, I'd send a note . "Thank you for your correspondence regarding payment for lot #xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Title, which I ordered on December 28, 2014.

I have recieved an invoice from eBay for $X,xx, which was the amount I understood would be the total price when I made the order. Since you are apparently unwilling to sell at your advertised price, please send me a Mutual Cancellation which will free both of us from a transaction which cannot be completed. "

If he does, agree immediately and leave appropriate feedback.

Don't overlook the Detailed Seller Ratings. The lowest Rating is ONE Star.

BTW, I'm thinking he is trying to move the transaction 'off-eBay'. Which is pretty dumb, because he does not realize that Paypal's Buyer Protection is just as strong as eBay's.

So you have a seller who is sneaky and dumb.

Move on.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply