Can buyer start "Cances transaction" case?

I was browsing other sellers' listings and saw the phrase "If you want to back out of the purchase, you will need to follow eBay's procedures to cancel the purchase do not ask us to cancel your purchase." Is this possible? I thought only seller can do that. Thanks.
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Can buyer start "Cances transaction" case?

5 REPLIES 5

I suspect the seller in that listing was referring to a buyer asking a seller to cancel a bid. 

Basically, that seller is telling potential bidders he will not cancel bids.  If the buyer wants to cancel a bid, the bidder will have to follow the proper bid cancellation procedure (and the bid retraction will show on the bidder's feedback page)

For more information: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/bid-retract.html

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you very much, I missed this point. Is there something similar for "Buy it now" items?
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

No.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@golden-stone-bazaar wrote:
Thank you very much, I missed this point. Is there something similar for "Buy it now" items?

Well, if the "buy-it-now" item has actually been purchased by a buyer (i.e. buyer has committed to buy but not yet paid), then yes, the buyer can ask the seller to cancel the transaction, and the seller then initiates the formal "cancel transaction" procedure. 

This process involves an email request that eBay sends to the buyer, asking if he/she will agree to the cancellation.  If the buyer agrees, the transaction is cancelled.  If the buyer doesn't respond to the request to cancel, the seller can close the matter after a few days (I believe it's 7 days).  However, if the buyer refuses to agree to the cancellation, the buyer is obligated to pay for the purchased item, and the seller is obligated to carry through with the transaction.

One caution I would point out about transaction cancellations:

Even if a buyer agrees to a cancellation, he/she can still leave FB and DSRs.  For this reason, IMO a seller should really never request that a transaction be cancelled unless the buyer has asked first (buyers cannot initiate the formal cancellation process themselves). 

Usually buyers ask for a "buy-it-now" purchase to be cancelled because they've either purchased an item in error, or realized they can't pay for it -- and they're happy to have the seller let them out of the transaction.  In my experience, most of them just vanish and don't bother leaving FB anyway, which is fine.

So yes, a procedure does exist to cancel a "buy-it-now" transaction once a commitment to buy has been made by the purchaser, but obviously not before.  However a seller can end an unsold "buy-it-now" listing early at any time. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you both, it was very informative. I did cancel transactions myself of buyer's request, but after finding new information thought that maybe there is a way for a buyer to do that.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply