Can't Contact Seller About Late Item

Usually if an item is 3 weeks late I email the seller to give the head's up that it's taking a long time.

When I tried that just now I was bumped right over to opening a case.

Is that something new?

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Maybe your seller is no longer registered on ebay.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

The seller is still registered.

Just thought maybe it was a new standard way of doing things.............

You know, the way they slip them in quietly now with no notice.

If not, then maybe he has his preferences set for no messages.......

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

It's been mentioned in the last couple of updates but I think that it was late in getting started. It sounds like a case isn't automatically opened but that the messages do go through the resolution center.

http://pages.ebay.ca/sellerinformation/sellerprotection/faircaseresolution.html

Additional protections coming February 2013

eBay has always encouraged buyers to contact sellers to resolve any issue with their purchase. Starting in February 2013, before opening a Buyer Protection case, buyers will be required to contact you first through Messages in My eBay specifying ‘item not received' or ‘item not as described'. This will ensure you have the opportunity to serve your customers before eBay gets involved.You'll have 3 days to respond and resolve any issues with your buyer before a case can be opened.Just having a case opened by a buyer will no longer count against your performance rating. Only cases not resolved in your favour will count t...

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Yes, I found this too.

http://announcements.ebay.com/2013/04/updates-to-the-ebay-buyer-protections-process-help-sellers-and-buyers-resolve-issues/

I guess that's it.

I've always given the seller a head's up around week 4 if an item hasn't arrived and then if it's still not here within 45 days and if we haven't worked it out I open a case.

Now, it looks like the seller won't get any warning first............ or.............

I guess I could use the private email address to communicate first.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I guess I could use the private email address to communicate first.

That is one possibility. The other option would be to chose another subject, like "Other".

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Good Idea...........

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Haven't bought from the States for awhile but noticed that items usually taking two weeks, now take just over three weeks to arrive.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

The other option would be to chose another subject, like "Other".

This is something an experienced buyer might realize, but I wonder how many buyers would think of this on their own.  Re-reading the new eBay policy on "direct communication", I don't think it's direct at all.  I see trouble for Canadian sellers, since items can often take 3 weeks or more to get to the U.S.  

The way I see it, this policy will force late delivery issues into escalation that might otherwise get worked out between buyer and seller directly.  This part concerns me:

Sellers: Now you will always have at least 3 business days to resolve any issues about transactions directly with your buyers through the Resolution Center, before a case is escalated to eBay for review.

So if a buyer sends a message about a late parcel, the seller will have to "make it right" within 3 days, or else.  What seller has any control over how much longer the P.O. is going to take?  The vast majority of deliveries get to their destination, but because of this policy, I imagine a lot of sellers are going to be forced into giving returns if shipping is slower than expected, or risk having a case counted against them - Yikes!  Saying to sellers that open cases won't count under the new policy is not very reassuring, seen in this light.  

Interesting that this coincides with the U.S. sequester, which the media reports is going to start seriously impacting and slowing down the U.S. Customs Services this month. 

Does this mean we're going to have to use tracked services to protect our seller reputations, or is this policy meant to soften up sellers to jump at the opportunity to use GSP when it's offered in Canada.  Just saying...

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I noticed later that the seller didn't ship for almost 2 weeks.  It just arrived.

Fabulous Piece!  

I'll leave a 4 for shipping time instead of 5 ............. :).

Another rule.

It looks like you can't even contact the seller without a kerfuffle after a purchase now.

How bizarre is that?

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

"you can't even contact the seller"

Actually any buyer can contact any seller at any time by sending an email to the seller's email address as shown on the eBay confirmation of purchase and PayPal payment.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

That is one possibility. The other option would be to chose another subject, like "Other".

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Ooops........... I meant to add............ yes, you are correct.

Many are not even aware of that or would think of it when needed.

For me, digging through old messages for the email address is time consuming and tedious.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Yes, get the email address from Paypal.

Learned that from the boards after eBay stopped us from inserting an email address in our eBay messages.

Had to do that this morning.

Seems a person bought a shirt & she wanted me to send her extra pictures after the sale was completed. The only way i could do that, that i know of, was get her email address from Paypal and then email her the extra pictures.

People are usually known to request extra pictures but never after a sale was completed.

First time for everything.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Yes, that's OK for some things..............  and I've done it many times.

However, when the transaction took place over a month ago and you have to dig back to find it, it takes time.

It's just too much effort when you just want to give someone the head's up that something may be wrong.

Much easier to use the ebay system................

So formal and unfriendly and threatening though.

But it is what they made it.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

BB, you can set up your sold page so that your buyer's email address is there. Just go to preferences and under Buyer Information, check off Buyer email/User ID

I agree that a buyer shouldn't have to go to the trouble of finding the seller's email address and shouldn't have to open a case to ask a question or make a comment.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

If the buyers need sellers' email address, buyers can click to PayPal transaction in their Purchase History account and the email address will be shown in there.  I usually do that.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply