Can you sell directly to another ebay member?

I want to sell an item(s) to a specific member. We want to set up a buy it now option. Is there any way for me to set it up so that only he can buy it. I am just worried that between the time I list it and when he buys it, someone else may buy it.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

By giving the buyer your email address they can put money into your palpal account. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

It is for a buyer I met on Kijiji that lives in another city. He has requested me to take our transaction to this platform for security.  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

A couple of ways.....

Create a listing with a (virtually) blank title, send a link to your buyer and tell them to act FAST.

Create a listing with a VERY high BIN and Best Offer, tell your buyer to make an offer for the agreed amount and then accept that offer.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

The buyer has an eBay ID? Post a Fixed Price 30 day listing giving a clear picture and precise description with the agreed price and shipping. This will cost you about 50 cents.

Use the customer's name as the title.

Tell him to search the site for his name as a title.

Give him a deadline for purchasing.  change the title to something saleable and let it ride, you may find another customer.

If he does not meet the deadline, add him to your Blocked Buyer List, change the title to something saleable and let it ride, you may find another customer.

In my opinion, with upgrades a few years ago to Paypal's own Buyer Protection Program, he would be just fine buying from you through Kijiji, using PP as his method of payment. You as the seller would carry more risk compared to payment by money order. So it is a balancing act.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for the replies. I have some options now. I do find it strange that ebay does not have an option to do a closed(private) auction for members to sell to one another. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

"I do find it strange that ebay does not have an option to do a closed(private) auction for members to sell to one another."

Because, quite frankly, there is no demand or market for such service.

If a buyer and seller independently agree to transact an item through contact outside eBay (kijiji in your case), why should they use eBay as the platform to complete the transaction and pay high fees for the privilege? There is no advantage to neither buyer or seller.

If a buyer wants some protection buying from an unknown seller, using PayPal as a method of payment will do it.  There is no need to go through eBay and generate unnecessary fees.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply