Cancellation of an order due to address issues

Why does Ebay give a buyer 10 days to confirm they have received a refund when they have not even paid yet?

New buyer wants time to pay as is moving. Many flags for me as to correct address I would ship to and Ebay is giving them 10 days to confirm refund when they have not even paid yet.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I know. It's d-u-m-b. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank your buyer for his order.

Ask for his move in date.

Ask him to add the new address* to his Paypal account immediately, because you can only ship to addresses on the account at the time of payment.

Remind him that it will take about 10 days for the item to arrive, but that within North America he should allow 20 days.

Ask him if he would prefer you to Request a Mutual Cancellation, which will release both of you from the transaction immediately. (You get your fees back when he agrees or if he ignores the MC.)

If the item is a multiple, you could make up a private auction for him.

Fixed Price, 30 days, using his name as the title so he can quickly find it when he is ready to pay.

I wouldn't offer this if your item is unique.

Your communication should point out the benefits to him. He doesn't care about you.

If he is not helpful, open an Unpaid Item Dispute four days after purchase.

HMMM-- is he a student? Remind him that he can also have things shipped to his parents' home and they can handle getting it to him.

*And it doesn't hurt to remind him to purchase a Change of Address for at least six months of forwarding. Otherwise he may miss, among other things, charitable tax receipts for his 2015 income tax.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

"...remind him to purchase a Change of Address..."

From my experience earlier this year when we moved, change of address purchased at Canada Post (4 months or one year) only cover lettermail, magazines, etc....  It does not cover parcels

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=types_of_mail_for_ma&cattype=kb&cat=receivi...

"Parcels (e.g. Expedited Parcel™, Regular Parcel™) and prepaid envelopes are excluded from this service.

If you’re expecting parcel deliveries you must advise the sender(s) of your new address, even when you have the Mail Forwarding service in place."

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

My concern is

1. he is new, 0 feedback and just signed up.

2. I have no idea what his old address is or his new one or anything else regarding shipping address

3. I can't use tracking in Canada due to cost

4. I am between a rock and a hard place.

I am more curious why buyer gets 10 days when they have not even paid even though Ebay puts message in to ensure you have received refund.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

The cancellation system is poorly set up...another 'one size fits all' scenario.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply