Dealing w/ a question that has a racist remark - help!

original_polish_princess
Community Member
Hi there!
I've been an ebayer for some time now, and like many of you I'm sure, I've dealt with LOTS of strange and odd questions from potential bidders.

Just today, I had a bidder comment to me (after they bid of course) that my shipping cost of $10 to ship a corduroy skirt to the USA expedited was too high. They said "it costs only $1.50 and you shouldn't n**ger up the price". [I of course added the ** in this comment.]

I know that one thing I've learned being a seller is to clearly outline your terms and conditions, such as shipping. I go into great lengths explaining it too!

My question is this: How do you deal with rude questions or comments? What would you do??
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Me - Ignore
You - Ignore or report
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

orbitdrop.ont_01
Community Member
You - Ignore or report
recped - Ignore
Me - Let bidder stay as top bidder until 20 seconds before end of auction then cancel her bid.

If bidder is only bidder on your skirt you'll probably not sell it and lose the listing fees but knowing that your bidder will have smoke shooting from her ears for a few days will be worth losing the listing fees in my opinion.

I find by explaining your shipping to a rude bidder, you are just asking for a negative feedback eventually. Even if you think they understand they won't, and when the item takes more than 3 days to arrive you'll be in for even more "fun" with this bidder. Besides canceling the bid I would also block the bidder from future bidding so you know they will never get to file a negative feedback comment.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Right on Orbitdrop!!! My sentiments exactly. In fact just his past week I have had two bidders question shipping rates and added both to my blocked bidder list. One wanted to know why an extremely heavy large piece of pottery cost what it does to ship. LOL Also, I agree, leave an unwanted bid until just before the auction ends, even unwanted bids can make you a bit of money sometimes.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
orbit-good one my man..
Kat
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

original_polish_princess
Community Member
Hahaha Orbitdrop - well I wouldn't have thought of that!
I did cancel their bid since I had another bidder anyways.
Not often, but sometimes I get the odd ebayer sending in my a comment about the cost of shipping, saying it's too high. $10 for expedited to US isn't too high! Very annoying...Expedited with tracking is my preference for shipping to the US - covers my butt!
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

*stealthtech*
Community Member
I agree original_polish_princess ... a lot of buyers in the US think our shipping is high too, usually i just block them from bidding if i get rude emails, the last thing i want is a negative or issues with getting them to pay! I love what Orbitdrop said... i will have to remember that!!! Click to visit sell-ur-stuff.com

Click to visit sell-ur-stuff.com
http://pages.ebay.ca/theme/mystoryarchive/sean.html

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
A lot of Americans don't have the slightest clue as to our costs. They think ours are comparable to theirs and they still B & M about their own thinking it's too high. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Report the loser and ad them to your block list ASAP.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

We also, on occasion, receive an ASQ about our clearly posted shipping rates. We always respond, calmly, professionally and, if situation warrants it, send the person a link to my shipper (Fed-Ex) along with the pertinent info (box dimensions, weight, originating Postal Code. Doesn't really take a whole lot of time and, we have received wonderful thank you notes for taking the time to explain as well as new clients for having done so. I have always felt too many sellers are far too quick to fill up their BBL at the slightest rumble, each to our own I suppose.....
Message 10 of 10
latest reply