Did I do the HTML description incorrectly?

I used to sell on eBay many years ago.  I want to try again so I listed one small item to test the water.  I used HTML for my descriptions and pictures.  The first time I went to check my listing it looked normal.  But I checked again today, the description part (with pictures) got compressed and hidden in a small window.  If not because I knew the description was there I would think it didn't exist.  

Could someone go to check out my listing to see if it's just a glitch or I did do something wrong?  The item number is 151405092640.  Thanks in advance.  

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

nan*55
Community Member

I see the small window, but I'm sorry I have no suggestions on how to fix it

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

The listing looks fine to me.  I tested both MS-Explorer and Firefox.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

It looks fine to me too. I am using Firefox 32. I wonder if it varies based on the size of a viewer's screen.

Instead of putting the pictures in the description, you should consider putting them in the ebay gallery. That way, mobile viewers don't have to click on a separate area to see the pictures and you don't have to worry about html for the pics.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

What PJ says about pictures. Poco got me doing that over a year ago for the exact reason PJ states. Plus? It is a lot faster and easier to do.
Photobucket
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

"mobile viewers don't have to click on a separate area to see the pictures "

That is interesting.  Never considered that.

For sixteen year I have always incorporated my images in the description.

Why?  I trust my server (I pay for them) more than I trust eBay's.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Your listing description HTML has errors in it. There are some mismatched HTML tags and some orphan HTML tags. There is a TABLE definition that is out of place and not used. Most likely this was an outer table border for the description.

What happened most likely is you had one or two simple HTML mistakes and eBay editor did not know what you wanted to do and it "fixed" it making the current HTML in the description. This HTML is then interpreted by different browsers and browser versions in different ways and fixed again. The result is a description that sort of works for some of the viewers of your listing.

I will take a look at the HTML in more detail and try to fix it as you intended (or my best guess).

As for the listing itself, the description content says a lower shipping rate than the shipping & Payment tab shows. You need to fix this. Just remove it entirely from the description to avoid conflicts like this that makes buyers not buy.

As others have mentioned, just use eBay pictures and not use PhotoBucket for images in the description. Faster, easier to list and the ever growing number of mobile users (35% or more ???) will see the photos as well as users of the traditional computers and laptops. The mobile app makes the eBay photos available without clicking in the mobile listing but makes the description a separate line that has to be clicked to open and see. So potential buyers using mobile devices may never open the description and see your other photos.

Another comment is on your auction starting price. It is 99 cents US with a BIN of $35. Big difference between the two. eBay recommends 99 cents as an auction starting price. Not a good idea. There is very little bidding on items like you have in your test listing in today's eBay. Most likely it will not sell or will sell with one bid at your start price. So you will lose money on the sale.

Best to use a start price at the minimum needed to cover costs and make a profit. Or better still, use a fixed price listing format and price it competitively with a profit built in. Researching sold items is so easy now on eBay since you can search Sold listings for an idea of worth of an item. Be careful when researching because there will be items that sold below value because the seller used auctions with too low a start price like you.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Pierre, I had several email discussions with Poco, about this, last summer. I, too, had all my pictures in the description. That was a lot of work.

eBay is the industry leader in sales through mobile devices. It is the way of the future.

I was going to do both and then, why? Pictures and title are all there on one line, basically. That is my chance to "hook" the buyer, not later. Problems with eBay hosted pictures has been nil.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I see that the listing sold for the BIN price of $35.99. So much for my discussion of how to price it and where to put photos, lol.

A newbie eBay buyer (less than 30 days based on the new eBayer flag on the scrambled eBay id) bought the item. Hopefully the sale will not be a problem. Hopefully the buyer understands it is a pattern and not a made costume.

PS I will not bother to look at the HTML since the item sold.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Mr E/Pierre, I have 3 styles of picture incorporation I use:

1) everything in the gallery - this is the vast majority of my items for the reasons PJ says
2) 12 in the gallery and the rest in the description, because some of my items need more than 12 pictures
3) 1 in the gallery and the rest in the description when "caveats" are required, some of my items have highlights pictures and are at higher risk of INADs so I place caveat text around the pictures which has helped. My "colossal" mixtures are an example of this. Unfortunately one can't put caveats around the gallery pictures so far.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Wow, thank you very much for all your replies.  I am surprised to see a few familiar users still around.  It has been such a long time that I feel like a newbie once again.  

Yes, the item has been sold to a new eBay user.  She has also overpaid the postage by $3.85.  The eBay default postage for USA was $5 while the actual postage I listed was $3.15, and she ended up paying $7.  I have emailed her this morning asking to confirm her mailing address.  Once it's confirmed I will refund her $3.85.  

In a way, I am not surprised the pattern was sold quickly because this particular pattern is in high demand.  On average the same pattern is sold between $35 and $50 depends on condition.  Mine is a cut pattern so I decided to put a BIN price in the middle range for those who didn't want to wait for the item to end.  

I sure hope this transaction will go smoothly.  All those years of selling on eBay I experienced almost no hiccups and I would like to keep it that way.  

Oh thanks for pointing out the mobile viewers problem.  Back in the day most people used their computers for eBay so I didn't even think of that.  I will consider putting pictures on both the gallery and in the descriptions because some of my future listings will have more pictures than the gallery allows.   I will also try to figure out where the errors were in my original listing.  I did use a HTML practice page to test my HTML descriptions but everything seemed to be fine.  I need to start it over again to make sure the same problem will not happen.  I know the item has been sold but I would like to use a similar HTML format for my future listings.  

I have mixed feelings about returning to eBay.  In a way I am glad to be back.  At the same time I feel very nervous about reality.  Shipping cost has been doubled since I shipped my last eBay item so it's almost shocking for me to put the shipping cost on my listing.  I don't know how most Canadian sellers compete with our US counterparts.  Most of my potential buyers are in the US and shipping within the US is still much cheaper than shipping from Canada.  A lot of my future items are very heavy, between 25 and 75 pounds so I don't know how this is going to work out for me.  Until I figure out a good strategy I still have only one foot in the eBay door.

Once again thank you everyone for your inputs.  I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed as I start over.  Cheers!

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@althetrainer wrote:

I sure hope this transaction will go smoothly.  All those years of selling on eBay I experienced almost no hiccups and I would like to keep it that way.  

I don't know how most Canadian sellers compete with our US counterparts.  Most of my potential buyers are in the US and shipping within the US is still much cheaper than shipping from Canada.  A lot of my future items are very heavy, between 25 and 75 pounds so I don't know how this is going to work out for me.  Until I figure out a good strategy I still have only one foot in the eBay door.

I'm glad to see your item sold, but as for selling on eBay now (as opposed to even 4 or 5 years ago), the key is to expect the hiccups and deal with them as best you can, to protect yourself against defects.  It used to be all about good feedback for good customer service, but now they've turned us into bean-counting defect-avoiders.  The buyer definitely rules on today's eBay, and the bar for sellers is being raised with each successive Seller Update.

As far as competing with US shipping rates, I've competed mainly by lowering my expectation of margins, cutting necessary (small) corners wherever possible, "subsidizing" my US buyers' shipping (and providing free shipping promos), saving money wherever I can, and taking a hard look at where I can either lower the shipping weight or reduce the thickness of my items to stay within the Light Packet service range.  If Canada Post removes or significantly increases Light Packet costs, I'll be in a real pickle.

You will probably find that those 25 to 75 pound items will give you a lot of shipping grief now because of recent changes by Canada Post.  Depending on where you live (anywhere near the US border?), it may even be worthwhile to cross over the line and ship via USPS, or find a service (like Chit Chat Express) that does so. 

The other issue is that recent eBay policies have heavily discouraged anything but a 1-day turnaround time for shipping out parcels, so unless your volume is high enough, it might not be cost-effective to use anything but Canada Post.  And surface shipping these days on eBay is just a recipe for defects, as many are finding out. So you're pretty much stuck with Canada Post Expedited Parcel (tracked and insured air service) to the US for anything large or heavy, and the rates are pretty outrageous these days.

Quite frankly, my impression is that if you're selling items of those weights, they have to be valuable enough that buyers will be willing to pay the shipping costs to get them.  For example, I quite often ship items to the U.S. weighing around 2.5 kilos in a box about 40x30x10cm.  The cost runs between about $35 - $40, even with the eBay/Paypal label discount.  At those prices, the item has to have a substantial value. 

Accordingly, the only items I sell that I know will have to ship by Expedited are usually worth between around $150 to $300.  The rest go by Small Packet Air, but there is, as you probably know, a size and weight restriction on that service.  Most of my items are small enough to go by Light Packet Air to the U.S., but even that is getting pricey, and means it's hardly worth it to sell anything under $10 anymore.

The best suggestion I could offer if you're planning to jump back into this is, unfortunately not to make assumptions based on your experience.  Read through the last 4 Seller Updates (Spring and Fall), as there have been some massive shifts on eBay over the past couple of years.  And do drop in to these boards on a regularly basis, since most of us are hashing out the new issues as they arise and generally get to a resolution after a few back-and-forth sessions. 

The picture issue is a good example.  I've always used a 3rd party service provider (Auctiva) for most of my listings, so I've always had the luxury of quick and easy listing preparation, including up to 24 photos in the description section.  However, slowly I've switched over to using the eBay Gallery too -- the belt-and-suspenders approach.  Mr. Elmwood has a point in that, depending on your category, you may need to capture people's attention the first time through, so having photos in the description area may just be a waste of time.  I know that my buyers tend to be "grown-ups" who do want to read, so I provide both Gallery and embedded photos in the descriptions. 

Remember too, that once you have one listing that looks good, with the photos set up properly, you can now save it as a "Draft" (if you have Selling Manager, which I believe is still free to access).  That way you can use it over and over again as a template without having to start at zero every time, for every listing.  Still, I would strongly suggest making use of the eBay Gallery, for all the reasons others have pointed out. 

As for concern about eBay servers crashing and losing your pictures, you can always back up your photos onto a flash drive.  Personally I've never had a problem losing listings/photos on eBay, but for $2.95/month I rely on Auctiva (where I can store tons of photos and hundreds of listings as a backup. Not that I'm a salesperson for Auctiva (Woman Very Happy), but they also have free scheduling of listings too, which saves me a lot of trouble.

Best of luck to you!  Just keep telling yourself this is a different place than it used to be a few years ago, and that you need to keep informed  -- when I think of it, OMG it was so easy to sell here then!

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Wow rose-dee thank you so much for all the tips.  I definitely will take your suggestions to heart.  

Shipping cost probably is the biggest reason I almost didn't come back.  You're right about how ridiculous Canada post rates are these days.  I used to ship paper goods all over the world.  I remember a sewing pattern to Europe was about $7 but now it's almost $20!  With that punch my potential European buyers are cut out from the radar.  And of course, when eBay began to charge a % on shipping it was another nail in my coffin.

The big items I mentioned are sewing and knitting machines.  I used to sell them on eBay and I was a power seller at one point because of the high $$ sales.  But those were the days when I could ship a set of knitting machines (main bed and ribber, both over 4' long) for under $100 via Canada Post oversize parcel or Fedex.  The machines are worth somewhere between $350 and $1,000 per set.  Of course, that was almost 10 years ago!  The only reason I decided to give eBay a second try is that I still see a couple of Canadian sellers listing their knitting machines.  They're probably close to the US border, like what you said, so they can ship their machines via USPS.  I am in Calgary so I am not anywhere near the border.  If I can't figure a way to go around it,  I will stick to selling paper goods or just quit all together.  

If I decide to continue selling on eBay I will look into Auctiva.  It's too soon to jump on the bandwagon.  I save my HTML descriptions in a document file so if I want to sell something else I just swap out the descriptions and images.  That's how I used to do it.  My items were rather expensive, I embedded a lot of close-up pictures along with descriptions and my potential buyers liked it that way. At least that's how it worked back in the day.  But I do like the idea of using eBay gallery to catch people's attention so I consider doing both.  

So far, I haven't heard back from my newbie buyer.  I will go ahead to pack the pattern for shipping.  Once I get a reply from her the envelope will have to go to the post office for I've promised mailing it in the next business day.  I've heard a lot of eBay sellers complaining about having to bend over and backward even they didn't do anything wrong.  I will try to avoid this especially dealing with someone brand new to the online auction business.  Still keeping my fingers crossed for my first transaction.  

Until I get both of my feet wet again I will continue with my reading.  Thanks again.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Site-Issues/pictures-not-showing-on-listing/m-p/265359#U265359

That is one reason I continue to use html to show my images within the listing.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

In those cases all of the gallery pictures did show up once you clicked into the listing so having pictures within the description wouldn't have made a difference.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply