First negative - Bound to happen eventually

cbsalesnb
Community Member

Hello,

I just received my first negative. 😞 I am a bit surprised as the person did not contact me. I always send an update message which includes an ETA and any other info regarding the order. Even though my ETA was March 19th, which is 2 weeks for a package from Canada to USA, I received a negative yesterday.

I'm pretty sure the buyer did not realize it was coming from Canada, or perhaps this is their first order from Canada and they didn't read my message.

I sent them a polite message this morning letting them know when it should arrive, and reminding them that it's an international shipment which can take a couple weeks. I also asked if they would consider revising their feedback once the item arrives, which should be soon.

I think what's going to hurt me the most is the DSRs. I'm not sure at this point, but that may drop my top rated seller rating. I have 2 low DSRs in the shipping time category from back when I started selling. Back then, I did not send the update emails with ETAs. Since I started doing that, people have been very happy with me.

Just wanted to vent a bit I suppose, most of you know what your first neg was like. Much like the first scratch on a new car, lol!

Have a good one folks!

Chris

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: First negative - Bound to happen eventually

The joys of it all.. I once had a neg 6 days after shipping with a sad face .. no contact nothing ...

i know what happen but the buyer didn't contact me so nothing i can do .. Item was Entourage UMD for PSP and I would guess the buyer never read nothing not even title just used pic which was still of a umd movie and just bought it ....

Sometimes it's just so annoying but nothing we can do ... enjoy 😉

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Wow, only 5 business days? This buyer had really too great expectations. I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope he will revise his feedback. Please keep us informed.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I've been there!  7 days after shipping the item to the USA!  He did receive the item, then I requested a revison on feedback.  He was a newbie, thus I I sent links to enable him to enable a revision of the "negative" feedback.  He responded that he could not figure it out,.. and that " the feedback wasn't that negative; "don't worry about it!".  Yikes!  

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I feel for ya.

You've got yourself an American nOOb!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Oh, I feel for you!  You're right about the first scratch on a new car - especially if it's not your fault.  I see your "neg" is a "newb", so he may not have any idea how important FB is to a seller, and think FB is just a forum where he can gripe.  You did the best thing in attempting to get him to revise, and as one other poster here said, many new eBayers aren't knowledgeable about using the tools on the site, so you may have to walk him through it. 

A couple of suggestions you might consider, depending on whether you get a friendly or not-so-friendly response to your email request to have him change his FB:

a)   If his reply seems friendly but not very cooperative about revising his FB, consider telephoning him.  Yes, we often forget that as sellers we have access to our buyers through the phone if need be.  I once managed to sort out a problem with a buyer in 2 minutes over the phone that was taking days (and a number of complicated emails) to try to solve.  It taught me that email isn't always the best way to communicate. We both ended the phone call feeling really good about it. If you have a nice, cheerful phone voice this can work very well.  Have your computer in front of you so you can access eBay while you're on the phone, and explain to him about US Customs - many US buyers don't realize there's a border ?:|.  If he seems receptive you can also tell him how important FB and your good reputation is to you, what DSRs mean to you as a seller, etc.  You might want to email him first to ask if he'd mind if you contacted him, and ask for a convenient time. 

b)  If his email reply isn't friendly, see if you can get eBay to remove the FB - it's worth a try, especially if you can convince them it was due to Customs delays -- see the 2012 spring seller update re customs disclaimers.  I've had to deal with this myself.

What else can we do as sellers, as long as the shipping process is out of our hands???  Best of luck to you!

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

You should not receive a negative feedback BEFORE the arrival of the package. Secondly in a world of instant gratification waiting a week 10 days is too much for some individuals. You did well by communicating with your buyer. Has he/she a good record, see their feedbacks left for others. If at the end you receive no communication and no answer to your request, you can add your own answer to their feedback and ALSO report this eBayer to eBay.There is a link titled "Report this Buyer" or something very similar to this effect.If he/she has the bad habit, eBay could cancel the negative feedback. Don't count on it but it may happen.Good luck.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply