Global Shipping Program Deceitful - Warning!

pdks.ca
Community Member

I just had my first experience with ebay's deceitful new Global Shipping Program. The only fee I could see in the listing was a $15 shipping fee, which was reasonable for the item.  When an invoice was sent, the previously invisible - and mandatory - GSP kicked in and the fee spiked to $58.

This is obviously outrageous.   I've reported eBay and this program to the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC).  Perhaps if enough people complained, eBay would have to come clean with both buyers and U.S. sellers, who seem completely unaware that their ratings are being screwed by eBay's sneaky cash-grab.

Message 1 of 107
latest reply
106 REPLIES 106

@pierrelebel wrote:

"which brings my question: how can you see $42.57 Pierre?"

Better eyesight, maybe! Smiley Happy 

Or is it remotely possible that there is a provincial tax portion which is not seen in AB of course, and exempted in BC and QC but taxable in ON ?

I have no idea. But that still doesn't explain why we don't see the $42.57 when we change the location to Ontario.

It seems that there are a few glitches with the gsp listings...go figure.

Message 21 of 107
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

"which brings my question: how can you see $42.57 Pierre?"

Better eyesight, maybe! Smiley Happy 

Or is it remotely possible that there is a provincial tax portion which is not seen in AB of course, and exempted in BC and QC but taxable in ON ?

I have no idea. But that still doesn't explain why we don't see the $42.57 when we change the location to Ontario.

It seems that there are a few glitches with the gsp listings...go figure.

I just gave it another shot, and I got $18.38 in import charges to BC and $42.57 to Ontario.

Message 22 of 107
latest reply

"It seems that there are a few glitches with the gsp listings...go figure."

There are many legitimate questions that need to be answered.  Over a month ago, I suggested to the folks at eBay.ca in Toronto that they open a thread for questions to be answered by staffers at Pitney Bowes.  As usual, the idea has been discarded.

At this time, there is no way for a Canadian buyer to address concerns regarding possibly wrong tariff or taxes being applied to imports from the USA.  The eBay customer support staffers have no idea whatsoever what GST, HST or PST are.  The folks at Pitney Bowes know.  Why can't Canadian buyers communicate with them?

Way back in 1999/2000, before eBay purchased PayPal, eBay allowed PayPal representatives to answer policy questions on a special PayPal Discussion board.  Why can't the same concept be applied here?

Message 23 of 107
latest reply

I just gave it another shot, and I got $18.38 in import charges to BC and $42.57 to Ontario.

Odd...now I see the $42.57 to Ontario as well. I checked a few other provinces out of curiousity. It looks like ON, NL. NS, NB & PEI have rates between $42 and $48 and the other provinces are $18.38. I didn't check the northern territories. It looks like the extra charges are in HST provinces?

Message 24 of 107
latest reply

I should be allowed to filter out seller that signed up with the GSP, as I do not intend to buy anything from them.

Now they are all mixed up with the good ones and you need to click on them to find out. Recently I find that even newly enlisted member can sell item with the GSP. So a vast majority of listing ship international with the Program because they allowed everyone to enlist.

If they had made this in a fair and honest way, if only.
Greed knows no boundary.

Seller get rewarded with negative feedback removal just so that they buy in to their program.

Buyer lost some leverage.

Message 25 of 107
latest reply

@d-alex-l wrote:
I should be allowed to filter out seller that signed up with the GSP, as I do not intend to buy anything from them.

Now they are all mixed up with the good ones and you need to click on them to find out.

I'm not sure how you do your searching, but in my search results I see the note "Customs services and international tracking provided" with items that are being shipped through the GSP.  I don't need to click on the item in my search results to find out that it's a GSP listing.

Message 26 of 107
latest reply

I had not noticed that.

Either way there still there, does'nt change the fact that I would like to opt-out as a buyer of the Global Shipping Program.

Even if the means less item in search result, I would never feel that I'm missing-out, as long as there is a GSP.

Message 27 of 107
latest reply

@d-alex-l wrote:

I had not noticed that.

Either way there still there, does'nt change the fact that I would like to opt-out as a buyer of the Global Shipping Program.

Even if the means less item in search result, I would never feel that I'm missing-out, as long as there is a GSP.

Okay, but why just pick on the GSP?  Why not have an option to exclude sellers using FedEx or UPS?  Or Express Shipping?

I can see this idea opening up a real can of worms for eBay.  Besides, I suspect the suits at eBay would see it as biting the hand that feeds.

Message 28 of 107
latest reply

At the moment the real problem for most Canadian eBayer is the GSP, exept for those who moderate this forum.

Ideal would be that eBay.ca take this step, as it would benefit Canadian members.

Message 29 of 107
latest reply

@d-alex-l wrote:

At the moment the real problem for most Canadian eBayer is the GSP, exept for those who moderate this forum.

Ideal would be that eBay.ca take this step, as it would benefit Canadian members.

Why do you suppose Canadian buyers are getting into trouble with the GSP?

Message 30 of 107
latest reply

I think the moderators of these forums are employees of eBay, and not members (buyers and sellers). 

Unless you are referring to us busybodies who have no lives who are constantly hanging around here, and have been for years and years.

Message 31 of 107
latest reply

There are many items that are not charged any duties at customs to NAFTA. Electronics, cars parts etc. that meet NAFTA are not charged. Customs do not collect sales tax for Provinces ( except combined HST), but then again if no Duties under NAFTA no sales tax collected. I think GPS is another way to line someones pocket

Message 32 of 107
latest reply

"then again if no Duties under NAFTA no sales tax collected"

I am sorry but somehow you have been misinformed.

NAFTA has nothing to do with consumption taxes (GST/HST/PST).  NAFTA deals with tariff (rate of duty) and quotas.

For more information on NAFTA I suggest you read the actual document:

http://www.naftanow.org/agreement/default_en.asp

General background and frequently asked questions:

http://www.naftanow.org/

"Customs do not collect sales tax for Provinces"

Actually, Canada Customs does collect Provincial Sales Tax if and when applicable.  For more factual information, please take a look at the official government site:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

"You may have to pay duty, the goods and services tax (GST) or the harmonized sales tax (HST) and the provincial sales tax (PST) on items mailed to you."

There is a lot of misconception among readers on the subject of consumer taxes (GST/HST/PST) as they apply to Canadian buyers.  It is worth a few minutes to learn the facts.

Message 33 of 107
latest reply

"I think the moderators of these forums are employees of eBay, and not members"

Actually, the moderators are employees of Lithium Technologies who replaced Live World at the end of June.

eBay.ca employees do contribute from time to time including a regular weekly session on Wednesday at 1:00pm (Eastern).

Message 34 of 107
latest reply

By the way, that information was supplied on June 12th by an eBay staffer:

"Lithium, the new provider, will moderate the Community platforms."

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Board-Hour-Session/June-12th-Weekly-Board-Hour/m-p/73398#U73398  Message #4

Message 35 of 107
latest reply

dtmmoore
Community Member
All I know is last time I bought an exhaust pipe from a US seller about two years ago before this "program" was introduced I paid a shipping fee that is roughly what is being sought this time. However I was not required to pay a further $70 that this program requires I pay under its terms ... This is a cash grab pure and simple and something should be done about it!
Message 36 of 107
latest reply

@dtmmoore wrote:
All I know is last time I bought an exhaust pipe from a US seller about two years ago before this "program" was introduced I paid a shipping fee that is roughly what is being sought this time. However I was not required to pay a further $70 that this program requires I pay under its terms ... This is a cash grab pure and simple and something should be done about it!

Please elaborate. What do you mean by "cash grab"? Who's grabbing the cash?
Message 37 of 107
latest reply

marnotom............ Canadians buying via the GSP are not happy that they suddenly have to pay taxes because in the decades prior to the GSP that was not the case.

dtmmoore has just told you that in the past taxes for this item which would cost roughly around 1,000 (if taxes are $70) were waived by our government, and so of course buyers expect that to continue.

in my case the expectation is that I will have to pay taxes on a very very small percentage of items over $20, and not the 100% billed that way by the GSP.

It's wrong to constantly accuse buyers unhappy with the GSP of somehow being "bad" citizens because they don't care for this new way of doing things as if it's an issue of tax avoidance...........  and that is utter nonsense.

The GSP is not a plan our government has decided is in out best interest.

The is something that P-B has decided for us and who the heck are they to determine how our Canadian laws will be put into the practice and how our governent will collect taxes????

THAT is the problem with the way the GSP collects taxes, but there are many other issues with the system as well.

Of course we resent the intrusion............ and we should.

Message 38 of 107
latest reply

"The is something that P-B has decided for us and who the heck are they to determine how our Canadian laws will be put into the practice and how our governent will collect taxes????"

Wow!

Based on your substantial volume (according to the claims made in the totality of your posts over the years), you are GST/HST registered and as such you MUST by law remit GST/HST on all taxable sales made within Canada.

It is exactly the same situation with Pitney-Bowed who is registered with GST/HST.  They must by law - like all other GST/HST American retailers and forwarders and customs brokers (UPS, Fed-Ex, etc) - remit all taxes to the government on behalf of the buyers.

This is not a choice you have, nor Pitney Bowes has.  That is the law.

You do not have the option to waive it if you feel like it for transactions over $20, nor has Pitney Bowes.

The fact Canada Customs does not properly assess taxes as it should on all parcels imported by mail containing taxable goods valued at $20 or more is regrettable and obviously confusing to many who think they are entitled to the "tax free" import but the law is the law and it applies to all GST/HST registered merchants.

I really find it hard to believe you do not already know that.

Message 39 of 107
latest reply

Pierre, you are talking about the way the GSP assesses taxes, and surely you know that's not what I'm posting about.

My posts are about the way our government collects taxes.

I don't know why they opt not to collect when they could, but the fact is that they don't.

You and I have not authorized that system.  It is what it is.

Accusing buyers time and time again who do not like paying taxes via the GSP of tax avoidance is utter nonsense.

((As for your attack on me personally............. I've told you before:  My business is none of your business!  In fact...... suggesting that my views are about tax avoidance is exactly what you do with upset buyers time and time again, and you are wrong on both counts!

However, since you ask note that I have stated numerous times that I'd have no problem if our government collected on all items over $20.  That could only help me out and wouldn't hurt me a bit.)))

Message 40 of 107
latest reply