Global Shipping -- double the cost, double the delivery time

I'm looking at a small item from the US (less than 6 oz.) for $19. Shipping through the dreaded GSP is $13.94 + $4.86 for Import Charges = US$18.80. The same item sent as a USPS First Class International Package would cost $9.45. So exactly double the postage. Plus double the shipping time, as the item is sent first to Kentucky and then reposted from there.

And who gets the import charges? I've been on eBay for 8 years and have bought hundreds of items from the US in the $1-200 range and NOT ONCE have I been charged custom fees on arrival. Someone, presumably Pitney Bowes, is cleaning up on these so-called import changes. It's money out of the buyer's pocket, increasing the cost of an item, that doesn't go to the seller, which is pretty poor business.

Perhaps the US is such a large market that no one cares if foreigners suffer through Global Shipping. However, my experience is that items that I would otherwise have bought go unsold, so I don't think it's necessarily the case that American sellers are always going to find American buyers.

GSP seems to be nothing but a scam that hurts both buyers and sellers.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

marnotom!, I didn't say that you passionately support the GSP.

I did that while you weren't foaming at the mouth (your words), that you are more passionate about the GSP than those upset by it.  The fact that you respond to almost every GSP post attests to your fervour.

In addition, I did not say that you lack an understanding of the program.

I did say that you lack understanding and empathy the Canadians shopping on eBay on a day to day basis.

Big difference.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

This is why I keep asking if you're Canadian.

For some reason you don't respond one way or the other.

You may be Canadian, I don't know.

However your approach to our GSP issues always leaves me wondering.

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

marnotom!, I didn't say that you passionately support the GSP.

I did that while you weren't foaming at the mouth (your words), that you are more passionate about the GSP than those upset by it.  The fact that you respond to almost every GSP post attests to your fervour.

In addition, I did not say that you lack an understanding of the program.

I did say that you lack understanding and empathy the Canadians shopping on eBay on a day to day basis.

Big difference.

And no research into anything I've said to back up your claims.  No examples at all.

I think you're just picking up on what you feel is the emotion behind my posts but not really understanding what I'm posting.

You certainly can't seem to be bothered to locate and read a few posts that would give clues as to where I'm from if you don't trust the information on my feedback profile page.  Those posts are pretty recent, too.

I think we know who's really being different for the sake of being different.

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

marnotom!,  I have no interest or time to dig into your posts to find out if you are Canadian or not.  It's not an essay question.

Why would I trust your profile page?  

In any case, you love to debate, but there is nothing here to debate.  I understand your posts.  I just don't agree with them.

Yes, you're right on:   I do pick up on the emotion behind your posts.  That is exactly the point.

You are not connecting with the way Canadians shopping on eBay experience the GSP.

As you said:  To you we are "foaming at the mouth."  (your words)

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

marnotom!,  I have no interest or time to dig into your posts to find out if you are Canadian or not.  It's not an essay question.

Why would I trust your profile page?  

In any case, you love to debate, but there is nothing here to debate.  I understand your posts.  I just don't agree with them.

Yes, you're right on:   I do pick up on the emotion behind your posts.  That is exactly the point.

You are not connecting with the way Canadians shopping on eBay experience the GSP.

As you said:  To you we are "foaming at the mouth."  (your words)

You've created nothing to debate, either.  You've merely taken issue with my posts and their "emotion," whatever you mean by that.  It's strange that you find "emotion" behind my posts when they're generally pretty factual and quite the polar opposite in tone to many of those by buyers who feel--rightly or not--that they've been done wrong by the GSP.

I don't have issue with you disagreeing with my posts, but when you don't explain with what you disagree and make baseless accusations of not being empathetic with my fellow Canadian buyers, this verges on a personal attack.

In fact, it verges on trolling.

I should have known better than to try to encourage a reasoned discussion of your concerns.

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

This topic has been locked due to hostile comments and interpersonal disputes.
-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 26 of 26
latest reply