Got an idea about fees

thebidwatcher
Community Member
I was talking to a person in my silver discussion group about fees. It was a thread debating the use of reserves, divulging reserve prices and fees in general.

I came up with an idea.

What if eBay had a fee plan like our cable, internet or cel phone companies do? A member could choose a level of service based on their needs and pay a monthly fee. This could then allow us to list our brains out and not pay everytime we hit the buttons. eBay would have their money up front. They could even have a discount for Power Sellers, or a Power Seller Plan - a tangilble benefit for us!!

Maybe the plan could be tied into your feedback score, as an incentive for great performance? Maybe that would be too complicated.

Anyway. What say you my fellow PS's?
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Got an idea about fees

firedept10
Community Member
I think it is a fantastic idea. I quit using reserves when eBay decided to hike the fees. I also opened a store recently to avoid the high price of fees being charged on auctions. As good an idea as it is bid, I honestly do not believe eBay would ever go for it. They will just say this does not create a level playing field for all sellers. But you certainly would see me put larger priced tagged items up for auctions. Great idea.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Got an idea about fees

thebidwatcher
Community Member
OK. Let's see what the Yanks have to say...
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Got an idea about fees

treasure-pot
Community Member
Hi bidwatcher;

There would be very few powersellers who could find fault with a program similar to the one you describe.

The real obstacle would be... eBay!

They would be giving up substantial revenues in such a scheme. Thinking it through a little - it would also have some negative impact on many sellers.

The only thing that keeps me (an most others) from listing 1000 items a week is the fees. Now if all PS were to start listing 1000 a week the traffic on any particular auction would drop dramatically. The only thing that keeps the auction hits coming in any quantity is the limited number of auctions. The more auctions there are the more diluted the availablity of buyers.

IMHO, in some respects thats what I dislike about free listing days. People list until their fingers bleed. I'm not sure (from my experience) it has ever shown any significant benefit to my sales.

By the way, I think you have one of the coolest and cleanest logos I have seen on eBay in a while.

Bill

Bill

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Got an idea about fees

thebidwatcher
Community Member
Well Mr Bidwatcher, who is a pretty smart feller, (after all he married me) says that eBay just has too tight a hold on the market to consider a fee plan, since thay do not have to worry about us all jumping ship soon.

But he says that as a long term strategy, if the members stew and breed a lot of resentment over fees, the current structure could end up hurting eBay. So perhaps in the future a fee plan might work.

Thanks for your compliment about my logo, Bill. I spent a LONG time in the graphic design biz before landing at eBay's doorstep and it really came in handy! Can you keep a secret? I have a tatoo to match.
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Got an idea about fees

treasure-pot
Community Member
I won't tell a soul. heh heh

Bill

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Got an idea about fees

deltone
Community Member
Bid I have to agree with what you said. I think it's a great idea, but yes, now that you mention it, I wouldn't like to see the auctions flooded more than they already are. And yes, you do have a great logo. I don't see the flag that you mentioned though. I looked on several of your auctions! (I must be going blind....;o) LOL
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Got an idea about fees

brcyclesalvage
Community Member
I have to agree. A better fee structure would be great. I also agree with the free listing day point. I don't list anything on free listing days except items that have never sold. There is so much stuff on ebay during that period that I get very few bids.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Got an idea about fees

thebidwatcher
Community Member
deltone,

Look at the bottom of my listing, under my photos.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Got an idea about fees

thebidwatcher
Community Member
About free listing days, I take advantage if I am ready to pop on those days. But I list in batches when I have a group of stuff, usually three times a week. If I miss the day, I do not sweat it.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Got an idea about fees

I believe there are other (struggling) auction sites with a flat-fee system much like you describe - listing is free, no final value fees, but sellers can opt into a monthly flat fee for options, gallery, etc. Sellers love it -
pity buyers don't go there.
A.
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Got an idea about fees

deltone
Community Member
Bidwatcher, I can't believe this but seriously, I seen no flag!! I see your great pics, and I see all the nice graphics (your logo) on your auction, but no flag. How strange is that? I'm using IE v6. Also, I've found that in a few threads people have spoken about a link up in the top right corner of the main page that there is a link to the US Powersellers board. Well, there isn't on mine!!! Could it be that some are using Netscape and for whatever reason it's not showing on IE? Is anyone else having the same trouble as I am? I've looked at several of your auctions and I can't see it on any of them!!!
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Got an idea about fees

thebidwatcher
Community Member
If you do not see my flag symbol and a power seller logo under my photos on auction #2557684329, then we may have just figured out the main sympton of alot your grief on eBay.

If you can see my photos then I cannot understand why you cannot see these symbols. They are loaded in the exact same way. They are part of my html. This is more info than I certainly understand. But now you can ask the question and show a tangible example of your trouble.

Good luck.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Got an idea about fees

treasure-pot
Community Member
deltone, I am also using IE6 and the flags are visible to me.

Bill

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Got an idea about fees

e-scrooge
Community Member
I only use free listing days to list very high end items with high insertion fees that would get bids regardless because so few are seen on eBay. The inventory I deal in falls outside most eBay trends I guess, as I get bids any time of day or week.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply