Harper headed for majority

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Good news!!

http://www.mainstreetresearch.ca/author/mainstreet/

"A new Mainstreet/Postmedia poll finds the Conservatives with a strong lead nationally in the immediate aftermath of the new enhanced Universal Child Care Benefit (UCCB). The Mainstreet/Postmedia poll has a margin of error of +/- 1.37%, 19/20. With 5,147 respondents it is the largest ‘Federal Horserace’ telephone poll of 2015.

“It’s Christmas in July for Conservatives as the immediate response to UCCB cheques is overwhelmingly positive for Stephen Harper. It appears that along with recent economic turmoil in Asia and Europe and a strong desire to maintain balanced budgets has increased the chances of a Harper re-election this fall,” said Quito Maggi, president of Mainstreet Research.

Among decided voters, Conservatives now lead with 38%, the NDP is second with 27%, and Liberals follow close behind at 25% with the Green Party at 6% and the Bloc at 4%. 20% of voters remain undecided."

Message 1 of 151
latest reply
150 REPLIES 150

From the Wall Street Journal (a newspaper usually favourable to Business):

Economic slump and voter fatigue with ruling Conservatives help Liberals make gains ahead of Monday vote

LONDON, Ontario—Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper, after nearly a decade in power, heads into Monday’s federal election caught in a tight race for his political survival.

One of the West’s longest serving leaders, Mr. Harper is seeking to win a fourth term. But voter fatigue with his ruling Conservative party and a slump driven by a collapse in oil and metal prices have helped the opposition Liberals—led by Justin Trudeau, son of the former Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau—edge ahead in polls in the last weeks of the race.

Issues beyond Canada’s slumping economy have also dogged Mr. Harper’s campaign, including a scandal over lawmakers’ expense accounts and controversies over his government’s recent decision not to take in more Syrian refugees and to push for a ban on the right of women to wear the face-covering niqab while taking citizenship oaths. In a survey of 1,000 Canadians by Ottawa pollster Nanos Research last week, 71% said it was time for a change in government.

Running on the Conservatives’ economic track record hasn’t helped the prime minister. Canada—the biggest trading partner of the U.S.—has weathered commodities boom-and-bust cycles before, but its growth has become more heavily dependent on the engines of mining and energy.

As a result, the country’s economic performance this year has been the worst among a small group of rich countries that depend heavily on resources, such as Norway and Australia. Canada has been the only Group of Seven country to record two straight quarters of decline in 2015.

The weakened position of Canada’s once-robust manufacturing hubs, such as London in Ontario, shows the extent to which falling commodity prices have rippled across the economy and driven voter discontent.

Kevin Schildroth is general manager of London-based steel fabricator Abuma Manufacturing Ltd., which retooled its production to focus on the energy sector when lower-cost Asian competitors started beating it out of orders for water filtration equipment—only to run into the price collapse in crude oil. In the past three elections, he has voted Conservative. But in the hours before the polls opened Monday, he said he was contemplating a switch. “There is,” he lamented, “no federal plan to make manufacturing companies strong again.”

Companies such Abuma are staring unhappily at what now seems a losing business plan, having tied the future of their business on Canada’s once-booming resource sector. Trade numbers show that the weakened Canadian dollar, which has fallen 20% with declining commodity prices since mid-2014, has yet to give Canadian exporters the boost they expected. Some economists and policy makers say that puzzle is partly explained by a decade long decline in manufacturing that has hollowed out the sector’s ability to bounce back.

Across the country, more than 450,000 manufacturing jobs have disappeared over the past decade, according to the national statistics agency. London, a factory-filled city of 366,000 that, like its larger British namesake, sits on a river named the Thames, has lost more than 2,000 manufacturing jobs since the last federal election in 2011. After plant closures by major employers such as Caterpillar Inc. and Kellogg Co., the city’s unemployment rate of 7.3% hovers above the national average of 7.1%.

London and the surrounding southern Ontario region form a key battleground for Mr. Harper and Mr. Trudeau, who took the helm of the Liberal party at age 41 two years ago. Southern Ontario is home to Canada’s largest city, Toronto, and about one-third of all Canadian voters. Another party, the left-leaning New Democratic Party, is trailing in the three-way race. It will be difficult for either party to win the most seats nationally without capturing a healthy share of the towns and suburbs around Toronto, a region known as “the 905” for its area code, along with the farther-flung cities such as London and Waterloo.

The Liberals have benefited from an unexpectedly strong campaign from Mr. Trudeau, a former teacher who entered federal politics in 2008 before winning the Liberal Party leadership in 2013. Though he is untested on the economic and global policy-making stage, his youth and energy have captured the attention of a swath of voters.

The Liberals have also run on a promise to spend heavily on infrastructure to stimulate the economy, a plan that would include directing funds to speed building of bridges and border gateways to speed deliveries of manufactured and other goods. Mr. Trudeau says he would spend 60 billion Canadian dollars ($46.47 billion) and run deficits for a few years to do that. Mr. Harper has stuck to a balanced-budget promise, and said that there are enough strong areas of the economy outside of the resources sector that stimulus isn’t needed.

Mr. Schildroth will cast his vote in London West, a sprawling residential area of affluent and middle-class voters that is viewed as a national bellwether. London West has picked a candidate from the winning party in 12 of the past 14 elections.

The city’s economic wounds could translate into political pain for Mr. Harper’s Conservatives in the district, where long-standing Conservative incumbent Ed Holder, the Minister of Science, is in a tight race with Liberal Kate Young, a former local television host who is running for the first time.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/amid-slumping-economy-canadas-stephen-harper-braces-for-tight-election-r...

Message 141 of 151
latest reply

Toby, it's not the drop in oil prices but rather because the Liberals are against pipelines, the oil sands in general and they will put in place a nation wide carbon tax. Should create jobs eh! 

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 142 of 151
latest reply

Valve you know better than that.  The Liberals have supported the Keystone pipeline, have they not?  It will not make a difference in any case as the Americans do not want it built.

Please allow me to repeat this line from the Wall Street Journal:

Across the country, more than 450,000 manufacturing jobs have disappeared over the past decade,

Message 143 of 151
latest reply

This may be the majority clincher.

Whether just a complete brain fart or some sort of inept attempt at a reverse psychology tactic, NDP "star" candidate Andrew Thomson has come out and said the NDP would work with a CPC minority government.

This will send thousands of votes from NDP to the Liberals, to whatever extent this news gets out there...

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/19/andrew-thomson_n_8332058.html

FWIW, at least one backbench NDP MP has denied this but at last check neither the NDP or Mulcair have gotten back to the reporter Althia Raj on this question.

Message 144 of 151
latest reply

Smart lady, always was, she's just never been given a real chance because of our political system.

http://on.aol.ca/video/if-not-her--who-does-may-want-to-be-pm--519144216 

Photobucket
Message 145 of 151
latest reply

Well...the title of this thread seems ironic now!

Message 146 of 151
latest reply

@muscoviteman wrote:

Well...the title of this thread seems ironic now!

Yes, the usual noisy CPC camp has gone silent.  Don't worry, they'll be here to posit Harper's ouster on something other than himself and his party. 

Message 147 of 151
latest reply

Happy Mulcair is a non issue and his party forever heaved in the corner of the House. Sorry Pierre.

Here are some items that were tossed aside in lieu of Trudeaumania voting.  

The family split income is gone (up to $2000 off tax payable) but may be OK for this tax year.  Those monthly child cheques will be replaced by a Liberal version, no details. TFSA is reduced to $5500 per year. Incomes over 90k will see an increase in Federal tax It’s a Robinhood thing, take from the rich and give to the middle class which I guess I fall into that category. YIPPE me.

A country wide carbon tax is also on the Lib agenda which will tax us all in one way or another.

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Unknown
Message 148 of 151
latest reply

Well at least Harper is gone and taken with him his bigotry and hate mongering and splitting the country through fear so that he can continue to have dinner in some other country. Gone as well is his position as lap dog for other countries who told him how high to jump. Now all Canadians have to do is pay him a pension for the rest of his life for doing a lousy job in some areas and a bare minimum job in others. Harper can now take his place in the annals of history with his brown bag friend Mulroney, all his corrupt Senators and all his lies that he perpetrated on Canadians for all too long. 

Photobucket
Message 149 of 151
latest reply

Two points I would like to make:

1 - "Sorry Pierre."  Do not be sorry.  The goal of 70%++ of Canadians was to get rid of Harper and his brand of government.  Canadians have succeeded.  I am confident many Conservative supporters are also quite happy to see Harper gone,  Hopefully we will see a Progressive Conservative Party come back and bury the Reform.

2-  The election is over.  There is no point is continuing the fear tactics through misrepresentation. These very tactics were so repugnant to Canadians that they took Harper out.  There is nothing wrong with honest discussion with fair presentation of the facts. That is the true Canadian way.

You may want to take a few minutes to review the real platform as presented by the Liberal Party instead of the misrepresentations (I am trying to use a nice word here) presented by its opponents.

https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/

Message 150 of 151
latest reply

It could be worse.

Mulcare could have won.

I called a liberal majority after thanksgiving weekend.

Why does Trudeau talked about being a Quebecer?

I have never referred to myself as being an Ontarioan.

Is he a closet separtist?

Message 151 of 151
latest reply