Has anyone had to pay an import tax to have an item shipped through a Global Shipping program?

rachel-36
Community Member

I just won an auction and for the first time i am asked to pay an import tax of $10. I've ordered many items on here and never had to pay this before. Does anyone know what this is? Do i have to pay it?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Re:Has anyone had to pay an import tax to have an item shipped through a Global Shipping program

Hi.. You purchased an item from a US seller using ebay's Global Shipping Program..

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

Can see that when viewing listing..import charges under shipping.

Canadians can only import up to $20. free of duty and taxes. Usually if Customs assigns  , Post Office collects on delivery and charges a $9.95 fee for doing so. With GSP , paid at checkout.

The difference is when not using GSP ,  many low value items slip through Customs without being assessed.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Re:Has anyone had to pay an import tax to have an item shipped through a Global Shipping program

Hi.. You purchased an item from a US seller using ebay's Global Shipping Program..

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/shipping-globally.html

Can see that when viewing listing..import charges under shipping.

Canadians can only import up to $20. free of duty and taxes. Usually if Customs assigns  , Post Office collects on delivery and charges a $9.95 fee for doing so. With GSP , paid at checkout.

The difference is when not using GSP ,  many low value items slip through Customs without being assessed.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Did you order from a mobile device? Much information is hidden on these devices.

Best Practice would be to window shop on your phone, but to buy from a desktop computer, where all the information is veiwable.

If you are very unhappy about the additional fee (and slowed delivery) from the Global Shipping Program, you can ask the seller for a Mutual Cancellation. If she agrees, leave glowing feedback.

Sellers get a tiny discount if they use the GSP, but buyers are faced with a substantial fee paid to PitneyBowes which runs it, and delays since items are sent to a central office rather than directly to you. In addition, PB will definitely charge you all the applicable taxes and duty, while Canada Post is often lax about this on small or low value items.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Wrong Canada wavers import fees on ALL USED EDUCATION AND READING MATERIALS/ITEMS. This just a rip off of international buyers. In fact any charges collected by GSP does not mean you have actually paid said fees. Read the fine print. If fees are paid it is best if collected by Canada custom since it will always be none if the item cost under $100. I have not paid any fees through Canada customs for any item up to a cost $200 US. NEVER, NEVER buy from anyone who uses the GSP. And make sure they are not before buying. If it gets tacked on DON'T pay for it and tell the seller why!!!!
Message 4 of 4
latest reply