Hi, new to this board

niko_and_co
Community Member
Just saying hello. Just got my bronze men's room icon on Sunday.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Hi, new to this board

niko_and_co
Community Member
I haven't yet but its on my list of things to do. I do make swabs for oboes, clarinets and saxes that I hand-dye in various colors and they do well. I know what you mean about the instruments. Also colored bow hair is hot. I was thinking guitar gig bags that were more "hip" than the usual black might sell on Ebay. I use black because most of my clients are professionals. Will let you know when I have some worked up.
Message 21 of 31
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Janet
I could almost guaranty that you would have a very hot seller with great profitability and not be able to keep up with the demand.

I sold about 150+ colored violins in 2003. Now the violin is typically a conservative instrument, unlike the electric guitar. Alot of these went to professional muscians (teachers and performers).

I had considered setting up a post production facility and air brushing violins as well as custom painting them (still in the back of my mind).

Besides, when a band stacks up their gear, what easier way for someone to pick out which instrument is theirs without having to open 5 black gig bags or read the labels.

My cost on the plain gig bags is incredibly inexpensive (high-end, fully padded inside) becuase we normally order 300-500 at a time however it would be interestsing to offer some alternatives or point people in the right direction.

Malcolm
Message 22 of 31
latest reply

niko_and_co
Community Member
I have a similar idea to the air brush one. Have you ever seen the silk bags that violinists use for humidity control? Well I make them from Saris and Kimonos right now but I'd really like to do some custom painted ones too.
Message 23 of 31
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
For myself, I find that the only problem when selling custom-made things on eBay is I can sell 10 less-expensive, high profitability items in the time I can sell one custom-made item.

I recently tried selling hand-crafted 2 and 3 cigar count pocket humidors, made from exotic woods with COA signed by the crasftman and the market just wasnt there at $60 US

Yet if I were selling ones made from tin made in India costing me $2 each for $15 US, I could probably sell 100 in a month.

I find that my market for musical instruments lies in the $150 to $400 US range. Anything below that and it isnt worth my time, anything more than that and I list the instrument 3-5 times before selling it, maybe.

I am looking at one of my supplier's brochures right now and see they make Paisely gig bags and coloured ones in tan, red, rust, purple or blue as well as leather and leatherette/vinyl.

However none of them would be my choice as a Buyer or as a Musician. There is nothing that distict about them.

Some of the cases for DJs carrying their LPs or CDs are good examples of pushing the edge a little with brilliant colours of more notable patterns and materials.

Anyway, you know your market better than I. I just hate the normal, run of the mill, status quo all the time!

Malcolm

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

niko_and_co
Community Member
I was going to ask you how many times you have to list the high end stuff to sell it but you answered it already. It's the same with my stuff. That's why I don't have a lot listed, even in my store. I can't say I'd blame anyone for not wanting to spend $300 on a trumpet gig bag say, that they've never seen when they can go to the local music store and get one off the rack for $150. I'm really thinking you're right - has to be something different that nobody else makes or has, and don't expect it to fly off the screen on the first listing.
Message 25 of 31
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
Very well. You will be killed at 12:30, but it's going to be more painful and less funny than if it were done at 12:00. NOTHING comes free here.

If you ask for another extension, you will simply be shot immediately. We have no tolerance for rule breakers.
Message 26 of 31
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Janet
Do you have an actual store in TO? I am there frequently (like this Friday). As a matter of fact for the last 4 years I commuted weekly for 8 months/year between Ottawa and Toronto (drive in Sunday, drive home Friday).

I couldnt see you this week but I will be in TO for a couple of weeks in September before heading to Sudbury for a couple of months.

Malcolm
Message 27 of 31
latest reply

niko_and_co
Community Member
Malcolm

I don't have a store. I sell wholesale to retail stores in Toronto. September would be good.

Janet
Shooger, I never break rules. (What rules? This is capitalism 101 - every geek for him/herself.)

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Starting to feel like I'm eavesdropping now ...

take it to email, guys?
Message 29 of 31
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Naw, thats no fun! Leave it as an OT and let everyone read and comment.

Malcolm
Message 30 of 31
latest reply

niko_and_co
Community Member
I would but theres some glitch with the new Q4B system. Not getting emails.
Message 31 of 31
latest reply