How do I list an item in US dollars from ebay.ca?

I would list on ebay.com but unfortunately the postal options are only for US carriers. This is frustrating because I often buy things in US currency from ebay and Paypal's currency conversion rates are horrible.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: How do I list an item in US dollars from ebay.ca?

You can use U.S. dollars if you list on .ca using the advanced listing tool rather than the quick listing tool. There is a link on the top right corner of the sell your item form so that you can switch from the short form to the advanced one.

Also, if you are going to sell to other countries than Canada and the U.S. you should use that form because the short one only allows you to list one price for outside of Canada and the advanced form gives you more options. Since it is less expensive to ship to the U.S. than overseas, they should be set up differently. Right now your shipping to the U.S. seems super high for some of your items.

You are aware that if you sell in U.S. $ and you want to transfer the money to your bank account, you will still have to pay the exchange rate unless you have a bank account in the U.S.? You mentioned that paypal rates are bad...they are actually about the same as most banks...2.5%.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

you will still have to pay the exchange rate unless you have a bank account in the U.S.?

And this is NOT the same as a Canadian bank account in US dollars.

The reason has nothing to do with Paypal or eBay, it's the US Treasury Department and various US anti-racketeering laws.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thanks for the answer and advice. I didn't know that paypal charges bank rates, last time I checked (years ago) there was a BIG difference. I haven't had the time to calculate rates for shipping so I set flat shipping and decided to refund or take a loss until I have time. I've had to send some items UPS due to fragrances being considered  "dangerous goods."  So far I've only been taking 10-20 dollar  *losses* on my shipping.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply