How do you get out of sale to harassing buyer ?

Buyer paid, but gets aggressive about sale terms afterwards and you feel nothing you do will be adequate with this person. You want out with as little cost and damage as possible. Sending the item would be needless stress and waste of money.

I think seller is going to take feedback and DSR trashing one way or another, right ? Is there a way for seller to complain to Ebay and have sale cancelled ?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: How do you get out of sale to harassing buyer ?

Contacting ebay if the buyer leaves NFB might work, but it depends on the communication from the buyer.

Is the buyer threatening to trash FB?

If the messages are just pushy and uncomfortable, then that's just part of the job.

The worst thing to do is to retaliate.  Don't let it get personal.  It's not.

The best thing to do is to be extra nice to these buyers.  It's just business.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

"but gets aggressive about sale terms afterwards"

Could you please be more precise?  What exactly do you mean?  What exactly did the buyer do?

Has he paid?  Has he paid in full?  If so, have you shipped?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

You are located in the USA.  Why do you post on eBay.ca?  Is the buyer Canadian?

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

The messages are offensive and plentiful. I understand what you are suggesting. Someone defecates on my head, I scoop it and pretend to like it 😞

To answer some unrelated questions: I currently live in Canada, buyer is foreign. I have different Ebay login to buy and sell, don't want to use this one because some people who know me would have access to my shopping history and that may lead to some awkward moments. I am sure many of you take price-tags off gifts 🙂

Buyer haggled, paid in full and then started disputing handling time in offensive manner, but it was shown on Ebay and estimated delivery time is in weeks, so few days extra in handling makes no difference. I go to post office once or twice per week and advertise 5 business days handling, but I don't think I owe any explanation or apology, especially after buyer been so obnoxious.

You say don't take it personally, but how? Can you come to farmers market, tell farmer's wife her pies are stale garbage and then expect her to sell you some? Of course she will take it personally, how can she not to?

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

"Buyer haggled, paid in full"

And your posts indicates you have yet to ship.

Yes, you can refund the buyer, ask for a cancellation (expect the buyer to refuse), end up absorbing the FVF charged by eBay on both the item and the shipping charge, and most likely have a negative feedback and low DSR to show for this transaction.

"so few days extra in handling makes no difference."

You do have the right to feel that way if you wish. Most of your competitors do not and most buyers do not.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

"so few days extra in handling makes no difference."

With your attitude you will soon be an ex-ebay seller !

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Mr. Pierre Lebel, what your replies have to do with my question ? For example:

You do have the right to feel that way if you wish. Most of your competitors do not and most buyers do not.

Mr Lebel, I do not mean disrespect, but everyone defines sale to their convenience and these terms are there for everyone to review before entering into the transaction. If Mr. Buyer does not like terms, no problemo, please move along. And you, Mr Lebel, you are real sweetheart to make these nontopical judging statements.

What "competitors" are there ? Selling personal excess is no competition. I don't care if I come first or last, if I sell highest or lowest. Place an item out there, someone likes it, great. Nobody bites, no problemo, I tried to be environmentally friendly, did not work out and there it goes to the curb or dumpster.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Mr nuvistor, if selling on Ebay requires subservient attitude, then you are darn straight, I am ex- even now.

How people who preach unquestionable sweetness to their customers come to the peer board and become nasty and judgmental ?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

"come to the peer board"

???

You came here, you decided to hide your identity, you made accusation about your buyer that cannot be substantiated and you asked if you could cancel the transactiuon.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

"""You say don't take it personally, but how?"""

I find it incredibly easy not to take these things personally.

Simply because there is nothing personal about it.

This is not about you. 

It's about the person on the other end.

In this particular case you have a person on the other end who is very particular about handling times.

So, why not ship right away???

Thank the buyer very much, say you understand that he/she wants the item quickly, and then do it.

Why the heck not?

(((AND....... if there's a very good solid reason not to do it........... then go to paypal and buy your shipping label right away and the buyer will get a message that you have processed the item................... and ship as soon as you are able.)))

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

rafael........ then back to your original question and an observation as well:

You posted here because you do care about your FB and DSRs.  Right?

If you care then there are ways to deal with difficult buyers and going head to head with them does not work.

Of course you can refuse to complete the transaction.  Ebay has a lot of rules, but there is nothing forcing you to follow them.

(You might not be here long if you don't, but that's your choice and sometimes the best choice to leave is the right one.  Nothing wrong with that at all.)

You asked if eBay would step in and do something about threatening emails?

It depends on the messages, but so far it just sounds like you have a difficult buyer and nothing more.

Maybe the buyer has crossed eBay lines............ you're the only one who has the emails and so you're the only one who can make an educated call on that.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Mr Lebel, you are mistaken. You did not provide any value to my topic and I don't owe you any explanation.

i*m-still-here, I understand your point about not going head to head with the customer. Night-club bouncers may disagree. Thank you for your replies, although they were not what I was looking for. Thank you for maintaining civility.

The $200 watch was offered at $40 in Like New condition. I price my items to get rid of while not giving them for free and they are usually spoken for within hours. Nobody can make me sell it to someone I don't like.

I did "Open Unpaid Item Case / Cancel Transaction - We have both agreed not to complete the transaction - Buyer and I disagreed over terms". Payment was refunded and Ebay can keep their fees. At this point I don't care if there will be negative feedback or Ebay restriction.

Guys, I was really looking for a way to cancel transaction, nothing more. I am not a business, and people usually come because they want something. If this attitude will get me kicked out of Ebay, no big deal, this site is convenient, but I have other ways to rid of unwanted items. I usually have more buyers than items and some folks travel 50km to pick-up and every single one of them accommodates my schedule, because they know they are getting great item for fraction of the cost and I have people lined up. Unlike on Ebay, where culture is to be mean, grouchy and demanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply