How quickly did the seller ship the item? FEEDBACK Question UNFAIR

helifreak306
Community Member

This question is NOT In CORRECT text. The buyer would have to look up date on package then reference when it was label printed. Then decide about the weather ETC<<<<<<

The SELLER does NOT ship the item...The seller is NOT the Shipping Company. The Seller arranges shipment and the Seller is penalized with low details ratings when the buyer thinks it is a seller problem when it is foot dragging, bad weather...Long weekends. ( On and On) Seller has NO Control of insufficient couriers. Making that detailed Rating UNFAIR and NOT APPLICABLE. That information is already gathered by eBay and PayPal. GET RID OF THAT QUESTION> A Seller will never make reasonable profit and will not stay here selling with NON top rated seller fees and listing fees applied because of the how fast did the Boat travel????????????????. This Website! what is a POLL OPTION? Ebay Can say I need some entered below but does not say what they are after..I am almost had it with this place!

I know a seller that just sold 250 items and a couple low ONE star feedback rating because of weather etc..They still wont give Top rated seller Statis. 4.8/5.0 is UNFAIR!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Shipping charges are only as much as you agree to pay .. If a seller charges me double the actual cost of the method of shipping it is not going to get to me any quicker cuz I paid more ..

Most buyers who complain about high shipping charges know they are high before they buy then they complain after like it wasn't obvious before they paid ...

I think most of this stuff is better understood buy those who sell simply because most buyers do not realize all the work sellers do and all the fees they pay ...

Example Shipping cost $2.26 and say I charge $5 well some buyer would say It only cost you $2.26 why are you charging $5 Well that would be because my envelops cost 10-40 cents a piece then their is Handling on the item in my case included 20 km drive to the post office then their is the 13% fees I pay to ebay on shipping .. Which I always offer free shipping but this is stuff that buyers do not realize..

I agree that sellers should stick to what they state but mom and pop shops usually still have to work a 9-5 and have appointments and become ill just like anyone so I have always given breaks to any mom and pop shop because as a buyer I am always on top of things and know what I am doing when I am doing it...

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Most people Leave DSR rating based on the door to door time not just how fast you shipped and they delivered Agreed...

I am pretty sure most buyer also know that how fast a seller ships just means how fast you got the parcel to UPS,Canada post,fed ex yada yada ...

Where the misconception is I think is in what they rate you on .,.. I mean they know full well that your not deliverying it that it is a delivery service that delivers it and carries it etc. ..

When Stating How quickly did they ship the item i think most realize what is meant by that but most will still judge you on the overall delivery time ..

So I agree with you on how they judge but I wouldn't say they don't understand the question I think they just disregard the question and rate you how they feel like rating you

hello mr hammer! meet mr nail!

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

fernsevern
Community Member

I agree that both shipping time and shipping charges ratings are at times unfair to sellers. Obvious examples are a seller mailing promptly but item taking a long time to arrive, or a buyer being unhappy because Canada Post shipping is more than they think it should be. Dinging a seller for these things is certainly unfair.

From eBay's perspective though it still makes sense. eBay wants happy buyers because ultimately getting lots of buyers buying lots of stuff makes them a lot of money. DSR's can boost sellers in search ratings. eBay wants sellers that produce happy buyers to sell more items. From eBay's perspective an unhappy buyer is an unhappy buyer. It does not matter it that unhappiness stems from the seller's actions or uncontrolable circumstances like their postal service being slow or expensive.

Life is simply unfair at times. The best of seller's here cannot hope to compete with sellers offering certain items from certain locations.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

I have said for years that the wording on the shipping time DSR could be improved. My opinion is something along the line of........" how quickly did seller dispatch item to shipping carrier?"

I think there are a lot of uneducated buyers out there who do take the current wording of the question to mean "right to my door"

When I buy, I usually go to leave feedback at a later date, and sometimes I can't even remember how long it took the seller to get the item in the mail, and I'm not about to waste 15 minutes trying to figure it out either, so I end up giving a 5 out of 5. Therefore, assuming that most other buyers do the same thing, how accurate is the rating anyhow?

And the reasonable shipping price question, that too is also ridiculous, especially now that ebay charges fees on shipping, thereby most sellers don't overcharge as much for shipping as maybe they did before. Postal rates are through the roof and some of those uneducated buys might look at the shipping price and blame the seller.

Or maybe some US buyers who are used to the US postal rates, buys from a Canadian seller and then kills us on the DSR because they think we inflated the rate, when in fact we charged exact price from the post office.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

The question is...

How many buyers actually read eBay's guidelines with respect to DSR?

Link to

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/feedback/detailed-seller-ratings.html

(1) How accurate was the item description?

Review the item title, description, and condition to see if they match the item you received.

(2) How satisfied were you with the seller's communication?

Recall if the seller addressed any questions or concerns that you had, and did so in a professional manner.

Consider only business days when evaluating the timeliness of the seller's communication (sellers might not check email on weekends and holidays).

(3) How quickly did the seller ship the item?

Rate the seller only on the time it took to mail the item, not the time it took you to receive the item.

Don't hold sellers responsible for delays in mail services, international custom delays, or for the time it takes for your payment to clear. If you picked up the item locally, you won't be able to provide a rating for this category.

If the seller met specific shipping time requirements, the seller will automatically receive a 5-star shipping time detailed seller rating and you won't be able to provide a rating for this categ...

(4) How reasonable were the shipping and handling charges?

Remember that sellers may charge for the cost of the actual packaging materials, along with a reasonable handling fee to cover the seller's time and direct costs associated with shipping.

If the seller provided free shipping, you won't be able to rate the shipping and handling charges, since sellers who provid...

For international transactions, buyers are expected to pay duties, taxes, and customs clearance fees as required by country laws.

If you picked up the item locally, you won't be able to provide a rating for this category.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Many buyers have never read this information about DSR

and when it come to Shipping Time  they do look at the total time it takes.

That is where communicating how long delivery will take is most important.....

Ultimately the buyer is evaluating the seller on the basis of the whole transaction... from purchase to receipt at the buyer's residence...

Seller who communicate effectively about postal delivery time will do better on  the Shipping Time rating.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

The DSR system is a pos 100%.

The only way it can be fair is if it becomes automated (reflecting proof generated by ebay/paypal/ shipping company)  and personal emotions and feelings are removed.

The shipping time dsr is completely flawed.  1% of buyers can understand its rated on  dispatch time only - not door to door shipping time.

I called and ragged out (big time) some 20yr old csr about this, and I encourage all of you to do this right away.  These reps have a lot of nerve telling us what to do to 'comply'.  I started selling when she was bloody 4 yrs old!!   Personally,  I wanted to end my call when she was crying!!

My trs discount is $300 monthy and its important - too important to let knucklehead buyers ruin without any cause.

call and rag please!!!

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

The only way it can be fair is if it becomes automated (reflecting proof generated by ebay/paypal/ shipping company)  and personal emotions and feelings are removed.

I'll have to disagre with this sentence. Let's say I pay for an item I won on November 22. The seller marked it as shipped on November 23. However, when I look on USPS two weeks later, it shows that the item was ACCEPTED at the Post Office on December 5! Would you give an automatic 5 star to this seller just because they printed the label with PayPal?

I never mark an item as shipped if it is still on my desk. But some sellers think because they packed an item, they can mark it as shipped when in fact it should be marked as shipped when it is actually put in the mail.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

"The only way it can be fair is if it becomes automated (reflecting proof generated by ebay/paypal/ shipping company)  and personal emotions and feelings are removed."

That is nonsense and your own feedback rating (100%) and above average DSRs (5.0, 4.9, 4.9, 4.9) prove it!

Buyers are a lot smarter than most sellers think - based on comments made on this subject.

Message 28 of 28
latest reply