How would you deal with this?

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
I have a bit of a situtation. A customer bought 2 of my labelers for a total of about 100.00 U.S.

They emailed me to say it was not what the wanted (they wanted a labeler with letters) and asked if they could return it. I told them to return it by USPS if they are not satisfied and we will refund the purchase price - shipping.

I get a call today from UPS saying they have a return for me and the brokerage fee will be $35.00. I was planning to email the customer and give them the choice 1) allow me to deduct the brokerage fee from the refund as I requested the return by post or 2)have me refuse the shipment and they can resend it by post.

Any input??
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

e-scrooge
Community Member
If you requested the return by post, send it back, it's their fault for not listening to you. I hate brokerage fees on returns, I've had it happen a few times and UPS sent me to collections on one already which I've refused to pay. Although you can probably write it off as it's a business expense.

I get people to declare the itemm as a warranty return with a value of $1 if they send it back via UPS.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
I would not accept the return. Let it go back to the customer and allow them to sort it out. You did them a favour by allowing them to ship it back for refund. Sometimes it just doesn't pay.

UPS assesses the brokerage charge on a sliding scale depending on the value of the importation. They are not a bonded carrier and must clear everything through customs at the border crossings. It has long been a bone of contention but they have been doing it for years and will continue to do so. CanadaPost, on the other hand, charges a flat rate of $5 CAD. They are a bonded carrier and thats why you pay the taxes when the item is delivered to you.

If you do plan to use UPS as a carrier, but don't want them to do the customs clearing, it would be best to designate a customs clearing broker at the border crossing provided you have one and you know where the goods will cross. It still would not be a lot cheaper. UPS is competitive with most brokers.

Bill

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
I have had this happen , I reject the payment
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

www-labels4less-com
Community Member
Gave customer option and he emailed back. Said to deduct all fees associated with brokerage. Nice!
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

thebidwatcher
Community Member
Glad to hear there are reasonable people in the world. You handled the situation with class and the results show.

Well done!!
Message 6 of 6
latest reply