I met Hal

He is in charge of North America.

He says CDN sellers do 50% within Canada.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

I met Hal

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

I believe it, could have believed it was more then that,  becuase a lot of the biggest in Canada are Canada sales only or might as well be.   Not sure if "50%" means by $s or items, but it would take a pile of itnernational sales to offset this seller 191497085385 domestic sales  alone  

What am I missing?  Who buys a gift card on eBay that they can buy anywhere and not have to pay postage.

Message 21 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

@jt-libra wrote:

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

I believe it, could have believed it was more then that,  becuase a lot of the biggest in Canada are Canada sales only or might as well be.   Not sure if "50%" means by $s or items, but it would take a pile of itnernational sales to offset this seller 191497085385 domestic sales  alone  

What am I missing?  Who buys a gift card on eBay that they can buy anywhere and not have to pay postage.

They can put it on their credit card while watching tv and when it arrives they put it in with the greeting card to the person they bought it for.  Its $1.65 worth of convenience.

Message 22 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@marnotom! wrote:

I don't think it's as matter of doubters.  It's just that we have a hard time accepting the statement "CDN sellers do 50% within Canada" because we don't know what this 50% is and how it was calculated.  As it stands, it's pretty meaningless.

Are you quoting him verbatim, Mr Elmwood, or did you inadvertently use a bit of verbal shorthand?

Word for word.

You have to be here to get all of this. This is so not the Donahoe administration. Those people and their mindsets are all gone.

Wenig is pushing an agenda every seller wants to see pushed. The Structure Data presentation by Amit was amazing.

This is not the eBay of just one year ago.

Well, we're not here and we don't get Hal's statement.  If that's all he said about Canada, it's just as meaningless as all the feel-good soundbites edited together in the video on the page to which I linked.

Message 23 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

@i.am.vivian wrote:

@jt-libra wrote:

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

They can put it on their credit card while watching tv and when it arrives they put it in with the greeting card to the person they bought it for.  Its $1.65 worth of convenience.

I suppose .... but it's amazing to me that almost 4,000 people would do this.  Particularly when you can pick one up at any check-out.  I see them every day.  AND how much does the seller make on a card, especially after FVF?"  I'm still baffled.

Message 24 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

Online shopping is all about effortless shopping. Or, shopping for people who don't leave the house often.
Message 25 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

On an unrelated note, when I see people selling a pack of common kitchen sponges (for example) for $7314 CAD, I assume it's part of some elaborate laundering scheme I'm too dumb to decipher.
Message 26 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

@jt-libra wrote:
I suppose .... but it's amazing to me that almost 4,000 people would do this.  Particularly when you can pick one up at any check-out.  I see them every day.  AND how much does the seller make on a card, especially after FVF?"  I'm still baffled.

I totally agree.  I am thinking it is just the convenience of it all that is the incentive.  Also that the seller may have got the cards discount somehow.  I don't know what the FVF is it that category but on $100?  I can understand people shopping from home or work but no seller would do it without profit.  Your guess is as good as mine. 

Message 27 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

@mjwl2006 wrote:
On an unrelated note, when I see people selling a pack of common kitchen sponges (for example) for $7314 CAD, I assume it's part of some elaborate laundering scheme I'm too dumb to decipher.

Ha-ha!!

When I saw the gift cards, I immediately thought of something sinister and then I thought, what do 4,000 people know that I don't?

Message 28 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

Most of those gift cards get sold either when ebay has a coupon (there was $20 off $75 advertised on the front of .ca for part of a day last week), or the seller has a discount.  Occasionally they have 5-20% off/free shpping on certain ones and sell $hundreds of thousands within hours.   That seller is the same place behind some of the racks of gift cards in grocery stores/gas stations etc selling cards for other stores.  The same way once in awhile Metro, rexall, shoppers etc will have something like 20% off sportcheck gift cards once and awhile

Why they sell a few at full face value + $1.65 shipping is a mystery.  Though the shipping can be mroe or less offset clicking through cashback affilaite sites

Message 29 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

Also pretty sure that seller has a very special fee deal with that volume.  They are often one of the featured "deals" on the front page/emails.  Ebay also been doing a lot of targetted coupons in Canada, like $10 oof $50.  If you know of the gift cards that the easiest way to use them and would be some of the sales that dont look to make much sense

Message 30 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Most of those gift cards get sold either when ebay has a coupon (there was $20 off $75 advertised on the front of .ca for part of a day last week), or the seller has a discount.  Occasionally they have 5-20% off/free shpping on certain ones and sell $hundreds of thousands within hours.   That seller is the same place behind some of the racks of gift cards in grocery stores/gas stations etc selling cards for other stores.  The same way once in awhile Metro, rexall, shoppers etc will have something like 20% off sportcheck gift cards once and awhile

Why they sell a few at full face value + $1.65 shipping is a mystery.  Though the shipping can be mroe or less offset clicking through cashback affilaite sites

Thanks for the explanation.  I knew the seller had to be making some money, and I guess when you sell thousands, your profit adds up pretty quickly.

Message 31 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I tried using kitchen sponges on my laundry once.  They didn't do a particularly good job.  Smiley Wink

Message 32 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

Bus day, Meetings all day. Meeting people all day.

Cocktail party with ebay.ca.

I got to meet the famous Raphael. Amazing fellow. Met the manager for Canada, Andrea, amazing in all respects.

Hal, VP for North America stopped by, for all of 30 people.

Amazing day. Amazing people.

Photobucket
Message 33 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

Interesting coverage.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y16/m07/i28/s01

eBay CEO Lays Out Vision during Seller Event Keynote

Message 34 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

That article is fairly accurate. All the employees that I have talked to, like the direction the company is going in. Things are very different from Donaho to Wenig. Donaho was a hired gun, Wenig actually sells on eBay. I got the definite impression that he wants his executives to sell as well so that they know how we feel.

This whole Structured Data concept is mind expanding. They are deep into data mining and this is just in the last year. Those who want to do better will do very well with all the information they are going to provide.

It has been stated more than a few times that when the sellers make money, eBay makes money. The more sellers sell, the more everyone makes money.

Wenig very much wants to take over the e-commerce world. He is not going to be happy until everything that is sold, worldwide, is an eBay sale.

They keep hammering on the same point, sellers are the most important resource eBay has.

Photobucket
Message 35 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

Actions speak louder than words.

Message 36 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Actions speak louder than words.

That is what I am seeing. There is a very noticeable change in actions and attitudes.

Wenig is working to sweep away the five years of Donahoe. He has removed many of the former administration. He has removed their thinking. He has brought in his own team.

I get a very strong feeling of sellers first.

We had five years of being battered. That is over and done with.

Photobucket
Message 37 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

@mr.elmwood wrote:
I get a very strong feeling of sellers first.
We had five years of being battered. That is over and done with.

Do you think this will result in any change of policy?  What is meant by "sellers first"?

Message 38 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

At this point, I'm more interested in what plans eBay has to strengthen its presence in Canada.  I wonder if MrElmwood has heard Canada mentioned in any context other than Hal's statement.

Message 39 of 75
latest reply

I met Hal

Maybe you could ask all your good buddies if they are so technology orientated, when they are going to fix the cart issues between the US and Canada which has been a disaster for years?

Message 40 of 75
latest reply