I will refuse to do business with any Ebayer who uses the 'Global Shipping Program' (CDN tax grab)

I believe that this 'Global Shipping Program' is a collusion between the Canadian Govt. and Ebay/Paypal to collect taxes on private online sales. These tactics are underhanded to say the least. While the 'Program' has certain benifits for the seller it adds further costs to the buyer.

In the future I will not be doing business with any site using this shipping method. I urge others to do the same.

Munytabern

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I will refuse to do business with any Ebayer who uses the 'Global Shipping Program' (CDN tax grab)

i noticed while trying to list an item that i cannot offer international shipping..when did this change? I agree with you about not having to pay tax..we pay tax on shipping and packaging materials already

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

Keep in mind, munytabern, that items sent by mail can also be dinged for taxes due on them.  It just doesn't happen as often as it used to in the old days before online sales exploded.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html

Formulabrd, I responded to your question on the thread that you started.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@formulabrd wrote:

i noticed while trying to list an item that i cannot offer international shipping..when did this change? I agree with you about not having to pay tax..we pay tax on shipping and packaging materials already

It's not really an option, you know - it's the law.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

a collusion between the Canadian Govt. and Ebay/Paypal to collect taxes on private online sales

Well, yes, That’s what the law states and requires. Paying those taxes (and duty where applicable) is your responsibility as a resident of Canada.

But the collusion is with Pitney Bowes.

i noticed while trying to list an item that i cannot offer international shipping..when did this change?

You should start your own topic. International shipping is still available but the explanation of how to find and use it is long.

we pay tax on shipping and packaging materials already

The OP was complaining as a buyer who apparently has never been charged by Canada Post applicable fees and taxes. CP is notoriously lax about this. I don’t think I have ever been charged in over a decade of buying. But I am also aware that I might be and factor that into my buying decisions.

Sellers pay sales taxes on stamps, on postage (though not on postage for international shipments where the postage is over $5),  and on packaging materials, This is why eBay allows us to add a handling charge to our Shipping and Handling, to cover the procurement costs of shipping. Many sellers factor these costs into the asking price.

The Global Shipping Program makes no difference to the costs of sellers.

FWIW- the program was meant to protect US sellers from bogus international non-delivery claims. And again FWIW, apparently Pitney Bowes, who run the program, have a service charge that is half that of Canada Post . But they always charge while as mentioned Canada Post often does not. ($4.95 vs $9.95 according to current reports. The PB fee may rise with the value of the item shipped, not enough information available yet.)

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

"Sellers pay sales taxes on stamps, on postage (though not on postage for international shipments where the postage is over $5),  and on packaging materials,"

However, Canadian sellers receive full refund of all these taxes if they are registed with GST/HST.

Canada sellers with annual worldwide revenues (including shipping charges) of $30,000+ must register and remit GST/HST. Many sellers with lower revenue still register with GST/HST to be eligible to Input Tax Credits (ITC), allowing them to get back 100% of the taxes paid on their purchases and business related expenses.

Registration with GST/HST is of great benefits to sellers with a high percentage of sales going to the USA or overseas.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

FWIW- the program

What does it mean, FWIW? Thanks in advance!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

FWIW = For What It's Worth

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I will not do business with sellers that subscribe to this 25% additional fee
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@yachtcrew4u wrote:
I will not do business with sellers that subscribe to this 25% additional fee

What will happen when you get an item by mail from the U.S. that gets stopped by the Canada Border Services Agency and charged GST/PST or HST plus a ten dollar service fee?

Message 10 of 10
latest reply