If your Global seller rating is above average but your USA average is top rated, what does that mean

What does it mean to me I guess, what do my buyers see.  I remember when ebay only counted us infractions against a seller but now I am unsure.  Because they tell my buyers the shipping rate is one amount but then blow me on the exchange rate when I buy the stamp for that item (as they give the buyer the XE.com rate and I get the jihad rate from paypal), and a lot of other exchange rate related issues and the fact we don't have media mail here so I can't list a CD with $4 shipping etc, I can not sell on .com only offer to it through .ca.

Anyway, because of the lovely way ebay offers buyers to inquire about their items, my global rate has dropped to 2.01% but my US is still under 1%.  I ship internationally and items take a long time.  Sure, I wish everyone was bright enough to know something about the ocean and distances and maybe about their own post system if they are already ebuying but be serious, not everyone is...apparently less people than one would think are.  Everyone thinks you are out to rip them off, after a while it makes you want to rip someone off or something.  Rip their head off maybe.  

Regardless, if no buyers are going to see me as top rated when it is pretty obvious if I had some selling issues one feedback somewhere in my list would say something other than great, then on the 20th I am cancelling all 500 listings and giving ebay the gift of the last bill as I am sick of it.  There is no more room in my mouth for what they are offering so I will just throw up the last little bit, roll over and go home.

Thanks, if anyone actually supplies some sort of help that would be great.  You used to be able to write ebay for help but at some point in time they must have figured out that they were never any help and just stopped taking the mails in.

My real question should be "Why are any of us here still?"

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: If your Global seller rating is above average but your USA average is top rated, what does that

When your seller rating is top rated for global, buyers who are shopping on .ca will see the TRS symbol. Also, those shopping on other sites who do not have their own TRS program would see the symbol. The bigger sites like .com, uk, de have their own TRS programs so global TRS does not show up on those sites.

When you are a top rated seller for the U.S., there is no TRS symbol on your listings  unless you are you TRS plus. In order to have that designation you have to have tracking numbers uploaded and validated for 90% of your U.S. transactions. Very few Canadians are able to do that.

Personally, I don't look to see if a seller has the trs symbol on their listings so I don't think that it matters that much from a buyers point of view.  It supposedly has a matter of search placement but there are dozens of factors so I suspect that trs isn't a huge factor.

I'm totally confused by your comments about the shipping rates vs exchange rate. You sell in Canadian so should receive funds in Canadian dollars and you would purchase your postage in Canadian dollars so where does the exchange come in?  If a U.S. buyer purchases your item with a C$6 shipping charge, they pay to exchange their U.S. $ into Canadian dollars and you receive $C6. What am I missing?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: If your Global seller rating is above average but your USA average is top rated, what does that

Your feedback is 100%

Your DSRs which most buyers don't understand are three Five Star and one 4.9 Star rating.

You have no neutral or negative feedbacks in the past 12 months.

For most buyers that is all they want to know about you. You would be amazed at how many buyers trust sellers with 95% FB, not realizing that guy is on the verge of being booted from the site.

As far as I can see, the TRS deals only with our fees. It might have some bearing on Search, but no one understands Cassini Searches, so we have to live with it.

I don't understand what you mean about exchange. The cost of buying foreign currencies is always different than the cost of selling foreign currencies. At the moment I a thrilled by the drop in the loonie, because I am buying in CDN and selling in USD. An automatic 15% in my favour.

I notice you are selling in Canadian dollars. If you plan to sell into the US market or internationally, I would strongly advise you to switch over to US dollars. Everyone in the world understands the US dollar and Americans understand nothing else. You can still list on eBaydotCA in USD.

In addition, US dollar listings automatically show up on dotCOM, so you get the best of both worlds.

I did not realize that toys also are subject to shipping price restrictions like media items like my books. I moved all my books to dotCA when those came in.

You do understand that the shipping cap only relates to Flat Rate Shipping? Your US competitors can charge whatever they like by using Calculated Shipping, but unless you have a way to get your parcels across the border and into the USPS system, you can't use that.

In some cases it might be possible to use Free Shipping to shut up the shipping whiners. Free Shipping just means including the cost of shipping in the asking price. If your item is unusual this can work quite well. And you get a break on all  shipping FVF if you offer Free Shipping for domestic sales. Even if you are using Priority Post to Kazahistan- no FVF!

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

When your seller rating is top rated for global, buyers who are shopping on .ca will see the TRS symbol. Also, those shopping on other sites who do not have their own TRS program would see the symbol. The bigger sites like .com, uk, de have their own TRS programs so global TRS does not show up on those sites.

When you are a top rated seller for the U.S., there is no TRS symbol on your listings  unless you are you TRS plus. In order to have that designation you have to have tracking numbers uploaded and validated for 90% of your U.S. transactions. Very few Canadians are able to do that.

Personally, I don't look to see if a seller has the trs symbol on their listings so I don't think that it matters that much from a buyers point of view.  It supposedly has a matter of search placement but there are dozens of factors so I suspect that trs isn't a huge factor.

I'm totally confused by your comments about the shipping rates vs exchange rate. You sell in Canadian so should receive funds in Canadian dollars and you would purchase your postage in Canadian dollars so where does the exchange come in?  If a U.S. buyer purchases your item with a C$6 shipping charge, they pay to exchange their U.S. $ into Canadian dollars and you receive $C6. What am I missing?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

HI, I was saying I can not sell on the .com site anymore because of the exchange rate discrepancy.   That is all.

Also it might interest you to know all Canadian sellers would be able to provide tracking numbers for shipments to the US if anyone was willing to pay for a tracked parcel service.  If I only offered traceable services to the US, the rates would be crazy...maybe not global shipping scam crazy but pretty high none the less.  No one would buy.  I can ASSURE you that ebay does not hold the same standards to US sellers as I have NEVER had a parcel come from the USA that was traceable, ever.

The system is set in all instances to favour the US sellers, even though ebay is unclear as to whether people in out two countries speak the same language, they are clear on that.

I DO appreciate your explanation of that system though. I have been warping on the math for the search engines but I think in the end I still will do ok as I offer worldwide and try to undercut everyone where I can.

Thank you again for that!

Kimmy

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I can not do flat rate shipping though on .com from here as it processes the rates using USPS or UPS and I don't know if having a Canadian UPS account would help with that.  I have thought about it many times, just too busy (or stupid maybe) to drive over there and ask.  

I appreciate your help as well, thanks.

Kimmy

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

My real question should be "Why are any of us here still?"

I can only speak for myself. I'm "here" to unload some of the junk I've accumulated over the past 40 years and make some easy cash.

Making some cash has definitely been easy, unloading the junk is a very slow process.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

"Free Shipping just means including the cost of shipping in the asking price. If your item is unusual this can work quite well. And you get a break on all  shipping FVF if you offer Free Shipping for domestic sales. Even if you are using Priority Post to Kazahistan- no FVF!"

The fees make virtually no difference if you include shipping in the price or add it.  Sure no fee on the "free} shipping, but pay extra fee on the higher price.  At best you get the trs discount on the domestic shipping.  Identical fees to anywhere else being the fvf on shipping

"In addition, US dollar listings automatically show up on dotCOM, so you get the best of both worlds.

is based on domestic"

no difference if  listed in CAN$

Message 7 of 7
latest reply