Is Selling on Ebay really worth it to Canadian Sellers

Hi Everyone,

A little confused on what to do and your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I am a fellow Canadian and currently have 2 stores on ebay. It may be me but I am really starting to think that Canadians should not be selling on Ebay anymore.

I sell on .com because this is where the majority of business comes from. My fees are well over $1500.00 min. a month between the 2 stores with a average of 275 auction listings a week. And now this.

First, Paypal has decided that Canadian accounts are all being converted within the next couple of week. I am not sure yet how this will effect us but I am sure there will be some major changes.

Secondly, Canada Post decides that they are no longer going to offer Power Sellers any special benefits. Then we are informed that they have a new light package for us to use with a increase in costs.

** US Customers do not understand why we charge so much and I am already constantly explaining Canada Post rates. Protential customers always think Canadians are inflating the shipping costs to make a profit.

Last but not least Ebay, Store fees are going up because they want people to buy the majority of items on auctions?

I will not be able to compete with US sellers with either store after the huge increases. The only one benefiting from this increase that I can see is US sellers ( because I will have to increase all my prices to reflect ebays decision and will no longer be able to compete with US buyers )and Ebay itself.

So should we pay more for auctions and close the stores ??

I can honestly see fellow ebay sellers walking away and either going to other auction sites or just opening their own website and save themselves from making everyone else rich while we are forced to close shop.

Honestly, I feel as though Canadians are being deterred from selling online.

Ok I vented. What's your thoughts ?

TracieDawn
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

busywizzie
Community Member
I agree. All I've done is lose money by selling on eBay.
The fees are outrageous - no one in their right mind can believe that eBay is LOSING money on the fees! Is everybody aware of the "Pay a quarter for a penny" concept? The fact that inexperienced sellers and eBabies are getting ripped off in fees infuriates me. I tell every one I come in contact with. But that's a different topic. Yes I agree with you and have noted that eBay.ca does not compare in features or exposure.
In my short selling life I have had to close 2 attempts at having a store.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

It depends WHAT YOU ARE SELLING
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I sell crystal beads and beeswax candles. Either way the fees with both ebay and postage increases are killing my businesses.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I think javax has the point. The decision whether to stay or go has to depend on your particular niche.

It doesn't matter what anybody... ANYBODY else is doing in response to the recent and future fee hikes. If you do the math and in the end YOU come out with an acceptable profit, you stay.

There's no doubt that being a Canadian seller brings disadvantages that U.S. sellers do not have. However, today's announcement means that ALL store sellers' fees are going up. If you are concerned about competing, keep in mind that your U.S. competition will have to also increase their prices or take a loss.

I know that today's announced fee hikes is very frustrating. However, it's better to now analyse what has to be done in reaction to this to stay in business than to
defeat yourself with overwhelming negative thoughts about things not even related to the fee increases.

If you stay you may find yourself a little ahead of the game if some of your competition decide themselves to pack it in and leave, leaving more of the market for you.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thank you wonderlandartifacts for your comments. They are greatly appreciated. A lot to think about and consider.
Keep Smiling 😄
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I have my own online shop as well as my ebay shop. Problem is, my online shop doesn't get anywhere close to the amount of traffic that my ebay store does. 85% of my sales this year were through ebay. I make less profit with my ebay store, but at least it's some profit. I'm doing my best through advertising and cross promoting to bring more traffic to my online shop in the hopes of one day not needing ebay anymore.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Sunshyne - you need to fix your store for one thing. That pretty blue banner is taking away your sales. Ditch the picture and put a description of your store in there. Search engines like Google pick up what you put in there.

Don't go with something cutesy. Think keywords. Put 'em in there and get more hits! I'm not saying all of a sudden you're going to get tons of buyers but give yourself a fighting chance girl! 🙂

Go to the Stores board and get ideas on how to improve and get more exposure for your stores.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

jasonsportscards
Community Member
sunshynecraftsbeads i am right there with you, problem i have been having specially is delivery and cost of insurance outside of canada, 12.00 is what canpost charges, for registered mail, and since i sell sports cards they bubblemailer is small enough to cclassify on that. one thing i did put in all of my listings is the cost of canada post and made sure the buyer was aware as to what they charge. most buyers though believe those rates are rediculous and even some american buyers have wrote letters about those cost as they would prefer insurance on thier items.
jason
Message 9 of 9
latest reply