Is it fair to charge American funds for a purchase from a Canadian seller to another Canadian buyer

Hello I would like to ask your opinion on my issue. I purchased a raccoon coat & a scale set from a seller who is selling her item's out of Nova Scotia, Canada. I made an offer on both items, she counter offered and I accepted the counter offer. She said she would combine the shipping and she came through on her promise. When I went to pay for my item's purchased through PayPal I noticed the invoice said "Non US funds". However when I paid for it, I was charged American funds and thought possibly this was a mistake, as she is selling out of Canada to a Canadian in Ontario and pointed out to her that the invoice also stated Non US funds, confirmed. She began by telling me that 90 percent of her customers are from the US and she chooses to sell in US funds due to Ebay didn't have an option to change that as of yet. I told her that wasn't true, as I sell out of Ebay as well and you get to choose what currency you would like to be paid in. I asked if I could get the exchange rate refunded, as I am in Canada. She refused, told me she charges everyone American funds even in Canada and  I am the first to complain. She didn't try to mediate or resolve the situation, instead got angry and cancelled the order stating I was unhappy with the items. I said I liked the items or I wouldn't have offered on them that I didn't like her style of selling as I have never run into this in my 12 yrs as a purchaser on Ebay. She refused to mediate, got offended and I told her she left me no choice but to tell others about my story. I asked her if she would be happy if I charged her in the English Pound when I sold my item out of Canada to a Canadian resident. I also asked her if she would ever pay for an item sold in Canada in US funds and she simply didn't answer. I think this is totally unacceptable, wrong and would like others opinions please and thank you.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Is it fair to charge American funds for a purchase from a Canadian seller to another Canadian bu

She wouldn't consider any type of resolution just cancelled. Juvenile in my opinion. However we could of came to an agreement but she wouldn't consider???
Message 21 of 32
latest reply

Re: Is it fair to charge American funds for a purchase from a Canadian seller to another Canadian bu

She flatly refused I tried and got no where

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

She could of tried to resolve the problem rather than being sooo juvenile, hostile and immediately cancel the sale saying I wasn't impressed with her items and then accuse me of trying to grab more money from me?? That is a no no on this site, as her selling tactics are pitiful, no matter the scenario. You should try to come to an agreement, not just cancel and call names??? So I disagree.
Message 23 of 32
latest reply

That was exactly it, she was wanting US funds because of our low Canadian dollar, you got it!!!

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

@bella196913 wrote:

That was exactly it, she was wanting US funds because of our low Canadian dollar, you got it!!!

Still very unclear.  

It sounds like your saying that it was listed in US funds and you wanted to be billed in Canadian funds for the same amount without adjusting for the rate of exchange.

Is that what was going on?

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

antonella196913 the FB you've left for others suggests that you're cancelling one order after another.

It sounds like you want sellers to convert to Canadian from American dollars without adjusting for the rate of exchange.

Are you?

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Good morning 'sylviebee', 

<< It sounds like your saying that it was listed in US funds and you wanted to be billed in Canadian funds for the same amount

without adjusting for the rate of exchange.>>

That is exactly it, yes.  Rereading the messages in the thread, that is precisely how it unfolded.  Still, not bad reading so long

as a sense of humour isn't lost.  The seller, doubtless having read the outgoing FB, was disinclined to comply, and is now

described as "juvenile, ... hostile, ... grabbing more money, ... pitiful"  and further denounced for "calling names". Smiley LOL  

<< the FB you've left for others suggests that you're cancelling one order after another.>>

Got it in one. Smiley Wink

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

My thoughts exactly sylviebee

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

If you send an offer on a US $ listing, and want to pay in C$, the best way to handle this is converting your canadian price to US $ before sending it. Let's say your offer is C$ 26. When you send your offer, you must write US $20 and not 26.

I guess you could also specify it in the message box if you type 26, but then it would be impossible for the seller to change the listing. She would have to either create another listing or send a PayPal invoice.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

antonella196913:  You asked for opinions and IMO you should contact the seller you left that NFB for (2 NFBs!) and ask her to send you a request to change the FB and then change it to PFB.

When you buy something listed in $US you have to pay in $US unless the seller is kind enough to convert to $C and send a paypal invoice.

No seller has to do that.  Some may be willing as a courtesy to the buyer.  Those who do not should in no way be penalized for it.

Expect to pay the equivalent of your bid in $C and expect the number to be quite a bit higher.  IF the seller adds a small fee for doing that extra work for you, the seller should not be penalized that either.

The conversion is not 1:1.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply

Why revise the feedback to positive?

The negative feedback comment stated "Horrible seller, cancelled my order without trying to resolve the issue & lied"  So there may be more than just conversion to Cdn$ involved.

Let's not assume anything.

Message 31 of 32
latest reply

Yes, that's the  way I read it also. In that case, the seller is right. It's not because your seller is from Canada selling to a Canadian that the auction currency changes.

Message 32 of 32
latest reply