June 22nd 2016 Weekly Session

Hello everyone,

Welcome to our weekly chat. As it is now common, the thread will remain open for the next 24 hours or so, to help those who couldn't make it during the day.

Open issues:

• Errors when uploading more than one tracking number at a time (repeated, erroneous numbers saved)

Updates:

• Printer friendly Order Details page missing items - Resolved - fix to roll out soon.
  • Odd missing gallery picture in search results - There was a general bug fix that was supposed to address this. Will now remove it from the list, if anyone still has that happen to their listings please let me know.
  • FVF on shipping charged on international sales even when there was free domestic shipping - Resolved
  • Selling limits live items count discrepancy - We are investigating further.
  • Missing Tracked Packet destinationsstill no update from PayPal and Pitney Bowes
  • Combined shipping offers not shown to international buyers - ticket open

If anything is missing, please let me know. Thanks!

Message 1 of 90
latest reply
89 REPLIES 89

@ight.coin wrote:

How about Negative Feedback.

How will ebay protect against negative feedback from buyers that may be upset about what they will perceive as 'poor service'?

Sellers will be blamed for long delivery timelines. As everyone knows ebay's system is not able to handle removal of negative feedback without a (hours) long phone call to ill-informed customer service reps. 

Since negative feedback doesn't bear any effect on a seller's performance rating anymore, we wouldn't remove those as part of the seller protection in case of a postal disruption. I understand that receiving negative feedback can be upsetting, but now more than ever before it is nothing but an expression of the buyer's opinion, whether it is founded or not. If a buyer was to leave a seller negative feedback because of longer than normal shipping delays due to a postal disruption, despite eBay's and the seller's best efforts to warn the buyer about it, the seller's best response would be to post a reply to explain why there was a delay and so that other buyers can see that the negative feedback was unfounded in the first place.

Message 41 of 90
latest reply

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good morning.

Does management at eBay-Canada offers an official suggestion to Canadian sellers considering the potential postal strike scheduled for ten days from now?

Hello Pierre,

We do, and we posted a first announcement on this topic yesterday: http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/06/21/7803/

Since we will have solid protection against defects caused by the postal disruption, we recommend for sellers to continue running their business as usual.

Does this include items sent Canada Lettermail and US / International Light Packet where there is no tracking available? Or does this only included items that include tracking?

We will protect all sellers impacted by the postal disruption, regardless of whether they used tracking or whether they were shipping from Canada or into Canada.

Defects aside. Are sellers protected money wise by ebay and/or PayPal from buyers opening claims for items not received and automatically be refunded for any item or items shipped via. Lettermail, Light Packet or Small Packet because there is no tracking available for those methods during a postal strike.

Hi merritt-motorcycle-salvage, sorry I missed seeing it was you and not Pierre I was replying to earlier.

The additional measures that I unfortunately can't elaborate on at this time will protect sellers against this scenario, yes. Watch for our upcoming announcement as we get closer to the July 4 date.

Message 42 of 90
latest reply

dutchman48 wrote:

I am sorry if you feel it is abusive.

As a buyer and a seller, I feel it would be professional and good business practice for Ebay to let us know exactly what they intend to do before the situation comes into play. After is too late and they have had a great deal of notice in regards to a potential strike.

Why does Ebay take this casual approach to something that is very important to buyers and sellers? This is probably why a lot of sellers and buyer do not have a great deal of faith in Ebay's decisions anymore.

All I'm asking you to do is keep it civil. Everyone else does it. I, and by extension eBay, never muzzles any of you when you have a bone to pick with us.  We could, since these forums are on our site, but we don't, because we believe in allowing people to think of us what they will. It's a very small courtesy to ask in return that the conversation be kept respectful. Obnoxiously large bold caps are not respectful. This last post from you is respectful. Thanks for adjusting.

I understand that this is important to you (you as in eBay sellers, collectively) and it is very important to us too. I am just being cautions to not tell you about what we are doing in detail before these things are 100% locked down, that's all. I assure you we take this very seriously.

Message 43 of 90
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

tch_ca wrote:
Oh....So it is about Ebay Canada and not the seller....Sure sounds like trying to force an unwanted and unpopular option on the sellers for the sake of survive-ability of the Canadian brand...

I think you are mis-reading me. All I was trying to do was use logic to explain how we wouldn't have made this decision if we weren't 100% confident that it was the right thing to do, based on real life data from real life transactions. It isn't about the viability of our brand, it is about the viability of the marketplace, which is essential to your and our success. Nothing can be about eBay Canada and not the seller. If sellers don't succeed, we don't succeed. That's how the eBay model works, and what separates us from other marketplaces.

Raphael

This is not borderline abuse as has nothing to do with you personally so here goes.

Is Ebay so far gone that they believe this type of info themselves.

Ebay is only interested in one thing, their bottom line. They do what they want, when they want, without any regard for sellers or buyers, as long as they can make more profit for themselves, shareholders, and bonuses.

Hence why everything is a secret that they refuse to discuss. It may prove this to be true and Ebay to be wrong. Unfortunately, Ebay is still the only game in town so buyers and sellers put up with it.

The way the eBay business models work means that if our sellers fail, we fail. Our marketplace is only healthy if sellers succeed. Sure, like any publicly traded company we have to please our stakeholders, but none of that works unless our sellers sell, and buyers choose eBay to spend their dollars. There isn't a way where we can disregard our members and still succeed. With that said, you are free to believe what you want, and I hope we can prove you wrong in the long run.

Message 44 of 90
latest reply

Folks, I have to leave for now but will return tomorrow to respond to any remaining posts. See you then!

Message 45 of 90
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@tch_ca wrote:
Great!. Another  stick it up your's and suck it up response by Ebay. Overkill? What's wrong with you????? This is functionality  sellers with multiple listings had before and now you've theoretically removed it (And by the way charging me 10$ per month more for the store). There are numerous functions that cannot be performed from the  .ca SMP and must be performed directly on .com. You know that!!!! You've assured me on this very board before conversion that the functionality for sellers and the interfaces would not change. Now what you're saying is that I have to use two.....That's ridiculous!! Why not give the functionality of SMP on both sites for the appropriate tiers?  You forced the change on sellers. I didn't chose it!!!!

Can you give me examples of SMPro features that you can't use from eBay.ca for items listed on eBay.com?

If you commit to working with Canadian store subscribers to make sure that functionality is restored to what it was before the conversion (assuming both sites) then I will revert back and put the time and effort into documenting the issues. Saying that, I'm not sure why I should be doing your job for you, it's your product, you should know how it works and what the differences are. This kind of stuff should have been thought out before the conversion. 

@tch_ca wrote:

Seriously?? You've burdened Sellers with a dysfunctional tool that caused countless of hours of manual effort and you're not going to apologize? Not your fault eh? Can you explain "health" and how it benefits/applies to specifically the sellers?

I have been apologizing profusely for the tool and its issues. I'm not hiding from that at all, and when I apologize for that I speak for the entire eBay Canada team, Andrea included. Please show me where I said that anything isn't our fault.

A healthy marketplace is pretty self explanatory. It benefits sellers in that they can run a healthy business on it.

You said "As for how we can justify the decision, logically, we wouldn't be making this decision if we weren't aptly convinced that it was better for the marketplace. Without a healthy Canadian business, our jobs are at risk."
Who's jobs are at risk????  Ebay.com is not going anywhere so as a seller I don't particularly care what happens to Ebay.ca. My sales (or anyone else) wouldn't be impacted with it's disappearance so the continuance of a "healthy" market place isn't dependent on Ebay.ca. .And surely Ebay Canada isn't so bold as to say that without Ebay Canada the online marketplace would collapse? Is it? So the statement is kind of obvious in that Ebay.ca is more concerned with it's own survival than anything else. All the more reason why it should be making it's version more flexible and more in tune with the Canadina marketplace....Not the opposite that it chooses to continuously do. 

Message 46 of 90
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@ight.coin wrote:

How will ebay protect against negative feedback from buyers that may be upset about what they will perceive as 'poor service'?

Sellers will be blamed for long delivery timelines. As everyone knows ebay's system is not able to handle removal of negative feedback without a (hours) long phone call to ill-informed customer service reps. 

Since negative feedback doesn't bear any effect on a seller's performance rating anymore, we wouldn't remove those as part of the seller protection in case of a postal disruption. I understand that receiving negative feedback can be upsetting, but now more than ever before it is nothing but an expression of the buyer's opinion, whether it is founded or not. If a buyer was to leave a seller negative feedback because of longer than normal shipping delays due to a postal disruption, despite eBay's and the seller's best efforts to warn the buyer about it, the seller's best response would be to post a reply to explain why there was a delay and so that other buyers can see that the negative feedback was unfounded in the first place.

This I have a problem with. Negative feedback may not impact a seller's metrics any longer, but it certainly impacts their reputation and drives away future purchasers.

Here is my case in point:

I am staying open and switching to courier service or, in certain cases, a day-trip southward to utilize USPS to support my Local Pickup payment/shipping option. In preparation for any hurdles I may encounter doing so, I have increased my handling time to 20 days and added the following information on my listings at the end of the Item DescriptionPlease note our temporary extended handling time and increased postage cost is due to the expected mail strike/lockout at Canada Post Corporation. McQueen and Mo Mater will endeavour to continue delivering your orders with all due haste using alternative methods. We appreciate your patience, and value your business. Thank you for choosing McQueen and Mo Mater! 

You cannot tell me that a buyer should be allowed to potentially leave me negative feedback for 'slow shipping' if it is made abundantly clear shipping or delivery may be slow. It should fall under the same removable rule as buyer complaining their explicitly-stated used item was used. 

Furthermore, it would be nice if, since this is the second time in five years that ecommerce will come to grinding halt in Canada due to Canada Post fighting with their employees, that CPC would not be the only option available to ebay sellers like me who use Calculated Shipping. Why isn't at least one of the main couriers included? I can't go flat-rate without grossly under- or over-estimating costs and, worse, losing all my calculated shipping settings. It seems like there should be a better way to make this work for sellers.

Message 47 of 90
latest reply

Hi Raphael, 

Just read the thread so far and I can see a lot of us are frustrated.  I am having an issue with promotional shipping on .ca.  I have taken all my listings down both from .ca and .com for the pending mail strike.   Here is my problem:

Raphael, recently Chit Chat Express has come to BC about 35 KM from where I live.  This will allow me to use USPS shipping when I have a large order (too far to go unless large order).  As the savings are significant, I want to pass that on to my buyers.  I have used promotional shipping rules on .com and indicated that if they purchase 20 they get free shipping.  So on .com they see this big flag on my listing:

free shipping 20+.jpg

Unfortunately this is only for the listings created on .com.  I would like to do the same thing for my US buyers on .ca. 

When I read the information on .ca below it states I can do it, but it also states that it only applies on .ca in USD, that is impossible now.   Any idea when this will be fixed. 

for raphael re shipping discount.jpg

Creating promotional shipping rules

When you create a promotional shipping rule, you can offer buyers discounts when they buy multiple items or spend a certain amount. You can also specify a maximum shipping amount for a single order.

Example 1: You can create a rule that gives buyers free shipping when they spend at least $25 and buy 2 items.

Example 2: You can create a rule that buyers be charged no more than $5.00 for shipping if they buy more than one item.

Promotional shipping rules apply to all listings that have combined shipping discounts (for both flat and calculated charges). When buyers qualify for your promotional shipping rule, the promotional rule takes priority over existing flat and calculated shipping rules.

To create a promotional shipping rule:

1. Go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences.
  2. Next to Shipping Preferences, click Show.
  3. Next to Offer combined payments and shipping, click Edit.
  4. Under Promotional shipping rule, click Editor Create.
  5. Make your selection, fill in the details, and click Next.
  6. Review your rule and click Save.

Note: Listings must be revised and Apply my promotional shipping rule must be selected for a promotional shipping rule to apply to active listings.

No promotional shipping block on .ca listings.

Message 48 of 90
latest reply

You do see how borderline outlandish that sounds now, don't you?

Message 49 of 90
latest reply

Hi Raphael, sorry I'm late to the chat this week. 

I recently had a buyer message me directly to say that she'd been unable to use the "Request Total from Seller" button when checking out.  Apparently she got an error message along the lines of: "This seller doesn't offer combined shipping discounts", which is completely untrue in my case. 

She was in the U.S., buying 2 $US items on .com.   I usually will offer lower (combined) shipping on 2 or more items, but I need to know the size, weight and thickness of the items in order to provide the buyer with an accurate shipping amount.  (I do offer free shipping for 4 or more items, but that is set up as an automated discount, which is completely separate and different). 

Do you know what's going on there?  If the "Request Total" button is on the checkout page, it should allow buyers to do just that. 

BTW, I had precisely the same problem in purchasing from a U.K. seller.  I had to back out and message directly.  

Also, leaving this issue in place clearly benefits eBay, since in my case as seller, I had to tell the buyer to purchase the 2 items, pay the total shipping, and I'd calculate the actual shipping and refund -- i.e. FVFs for eBay on the excess shipping.  

Message 50 of 90
latest reply

@snoopwiz wrote:

It seems to me Raphael is confusing punishment by eBay with punishment by the marketplace.  Of course negative FB affects a seller. 

Negative FB is still something buyers look at before they buy, and make their decisions accordingly.  I know that I do as a buyer, and I'll bet that's true of most. 

Message 51 of 90
latest reply

Although no doubt eBay is sick of hearing from upset Canadians about the change to $CDN-only listings on .ca, I feel obliged to add my voice to the crowd.  

This change -- together with the continuing US cart disconnect -- has basically destroyed a successful business plan and selling strategy that I built up for years on eBay.  What stings especially is the thought that this move will benefit eBay's cash flow in a very surreptitious way that many Cdn sellers who feel forced to move to .com will not realize.  I don't mind being told upfront that I have to pay more to sell here.  But I do mind feeling a knife quietly being stuck in my back. 

So my question is this: is the following true or false?

"It will make a difference to eBay if more Canucks move to .com  They will be making more money in FVFs from Canadian sellers like me on practically every sale because it will no longer be reasonable for a Canadian seller listing on .com who has mainly U.S. buyers to use free domestic shipping (which on .com is actually shipping to the U.S.) in order to avoid FVFs on shipping elsewhere."  

Message 52 of 90
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@snoopwiz wrote:

It seems to me Raphael is confusing punishment by eBay with punishment by the marketplace.  Of course negative FB affects a seller. 

Negative FB is still something buyers look at before they buy, and make their decisions accordingly.  I know that I do as a buyer, and I'll bet that's true of most.

eBay Canada employees speak double talk and candy coat every bad thing about anything. Very discouraging to buyers and sellers. They live in their own eBay virtual reality world and know little about real life buying and selling on eBay. Buying and selling on eBay is successful despite their idiotic moves and glitchy serices but is getting harder and harder to buy or sell on eBay.

My confidence in eBay for buying and selling is gone. I am not done yet but very close to it.

Message 53 of 90
latest reply

This year 2016 has to be the worst year ever for Canadian sellers and it is not even half way through the year!

The new defect system based mainly on shipping requiring proof of shipping which does not work well with Canada Post non tracked services. The elimination of CAD option creating needless extra work and a horrible migration tool implemention. The impending postal strike by Canada Post. The new eBay store fees hike whether you need the extra free listing or not. The useless eBay store coupons for shipping supplies because the prices are so high. The constant eBay technical issues and glitches. Slow sales for many sellers.

eBay and eBay Canada just sucks big time this year.

Message 54 of 90
latest reply

tch_ca wrote:
If you commit to working with Canadian store subscribers to make sure that functionality is restored to what it was before the conversion (assuming both sites) then I will revert back and put the time and effort into documenting the issues. Saying that, I'm not sure why I should be doing your job for you, it's your product, you should know how it works and what the differences are. This kind of stuff should have been thought out before the conversion. 

I know my product well. I'm not asking you to point out differences. With my question I was hoping to show you that there is nothing to gain in having Selling Manager Pro on eBay.com as opposed to just Selling Manager. SMPro's only additional features are marketing (emails) and reporting functions. Those aren't attached to a specific site. You can have SMPro on eBay.ca, which comes with your store subscription, and SM on eBay.com, which if free, to have Selling Manager features coverage across both sites.

tch_ca wrote:
You said "As for how we can justify the decision, logically, we wouldn't be making this decision if we weren't aptly convinced that it was better for the marketplace. Without a healthy Canadian business, our jobs are at risk."

Who's jobs are at risk????  Ebay.com is not going anywhere so as a seller I don't particularly care what happens to Ebay.ca. My sales (or anyone else) wouldn't be impacted with it's disappearance so the continuance of a "healthy" market place isn't dependent on Ebay.ca. .And surely Ebay Canada isn't so bold as to say that without Ebay Canada the online marketplace would collapse? Is it? So the statement is kind of obvious in that Ebay.ca is more concerned with it's own survival than anything else. All the more reason why it should be making it's version more flexible and more in tune with the Canadina marketplace....Not the opposite that it chooses to continuously do. 

I'm sorry I think I was unclear again. I was merely trying to illustrate that we aren't, that we couldn't be making this decision to retire USD from the eBay.ca selling flows if we weren't 100% sure that it was better for Canadian sellers. I meant nothing else than that with my previous post.

Message 55 of 90
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

As mentioned previously, I disagree with the whole premise of the statement in bold above.  This is precisely why I will be closing down by store and hiding my listings a few days prior to July 1st.  
After more than 8 years of selling on eBay, I don't want my first and only negative FB to be as a result of a postal strike.  And I certainly don't want my valued customers to be sitting waiting, perhaps for weeks, for a parcel that doesn't arrive, previous disclaimers or warnings or reassurances from eBay about defects notwithstanding.  
As in previous postal strikes, my store will shut down.  Since eBay has left measures concerning protecting sellers and buyers to almost the 11th hour to solidify, I'm taking control of my own reputation.  

Message 56 of 90
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

@ight.coin wrote:

This I have a problem with. Negative feedback may not impact a seller's metrics any longer, but it certainly impacts their reputation and drives away future purchasers.

Here is my case in point:

I am staying open and switching to courier service or, in certain cases, a day-trip southward to utilize USPS to support my Local Pickup payment/shipping option. In preparation for any hurdles I may encounter doing so, I have increased my handling time to 20 days and added the following information on my listings at the end of the Item DescriptionPlease note our temporary extended handling time and increased postage cost is due to the expected mail strike/lockout at Canada Post Corporation. McQueen and Mo Mater will endeavour to continue delivering your orders with all due haste using alternative methods. We appreciate your patience, and value your business. Thank you for choosing McQueen and Mo Mater! 

You cannot tell me that a buyer should be allowed to potentially leave me negative feedback for 'slow shipping' if it is made abundantly clear shipping or delivery may be slow. It should fall under the same removable rule as buyer complaining their explicitly-stated used item was used. 

Hi Maureen,

I'm not saying that feedback won't be removable under these circumstances, all I was commenting on were our proactive efforts, which as of now only cover defects and not feedback. I'll check with a colleague who specializes in defect removal (what used to be feedback removal is now tucked under the defect removal umbrella) and see if the removal rules you mentioned can apply in your example.

mjwl2006 wrote:

Furthermore, it would be nice if, since this is the second time in five years that ecommerce will come to grinding halt in Canada due to Canada Post fighting with their employees, that CPC would not be the only option available to ebay sellers like me who use Calculated Shipping. Why isn't at least one of the main couriers included? I can't go flat-rate without grossly under- or over-estimating costs and, worse, losing all my calculated shipping settings. It seems like there should be a better way to make this work for sellers.

I wish we could offer that as well, but setting up the same kind of real-time rating as what we have in place for Canada Post rates is quite the endeavour, which leans on a lot more than development resources on eBay's side, which as you know are already pretty sparse when it comes to Canadian projects. The carrier also needs to develop the appropriate systems to manage and feed rates to eBay.  So far we haven't been able to make something like this happen for another carrier. We hope to be able to in the future.

Message 57 of 90
latest reply

Thank you for the clarification, Raphael. I am keenly interested in learning more about what you hear back in future.
Message 58 of 90
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Hi Raphael, 

Just read the thread so far and I can see a lot of us are frustrated.  I am having an issue with promotional shipping on .ca.  I have taken all my listings down both from .ca and .com for the pending mail strike.   Here is my problem:

Raphael, recently Chit Chat Express has come to BC about 35 KM from where I live.  This will allow me to use USPS shipping when I have a large order (too far to go unless large order).  As the savings are significant, I want to pass that on to my buyers.  I have used promotional shipping rules on .com and indicated that if they purchase 20 they get free shipping.  So on .com they see this big flag on my listing:

free shipping 20+.jpg

Unfortunately this is only for the listings created on .com.  I would like to do the same thing for my US buyers on .ca. 

When I read the information on .ca below it states I can do it, but it also states that it only applies on .ca in USD, that is impossible now.   Any idea when this will be fixed. 

for raphael re shipping discount.jpg

Creating promotional shipping rules

When you create a promotional shipping rule, you can offer buyers discounts when they buy multiple items or spend a certain amount. You can also specify a maximum shipping amount for a single order.

Example 1: You can create a rule that gives buyers free shipping when they spend at least $25 and buy 2 items.

Example 2: You can create a rule that buyers be charged no more than $5.00 for shipping if they buy more than one item.

Promotional shipping rules apply to all listings that have combined shipping discounts (for both flat and calculated charges). When buyers qualify for your promotional shipping rule, the promotional rule takes priority over existing flat and calculated shipping rules.

To create a promotional shipping rule:

1. Go to My eBay > Account > Site Preferences.
  2. Next to Shipping Preferences, click Show.
  3. Next to Offer combined payments and shipping, click Edit.
  4. Under Promotional shipping rule, click Editor Create.
  5. Make your selection, fill in the details, and click Next.
  6. Review your rule and click Save.

Note: Listings must be revised and Apply my promotional shipping rule must be selected for a promotional shipping rule to apply to active listings.

No promotional shipping block on .ca listings.

Hi musicyouneed,

You can change the combined shipping discount rules currency in the settings on eBay.ca, so that you get rules that apply to your listings in CAD.

Combined_Payments_and_Shipping_Discounts.jpg

Combined_Payments_and_Shipping_Discounts 2.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 10.59.57.png

Message 59 of 90
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:
The way the eBay business models work means that if our sellers fail, we fail. Our marketplace is only healthy if sellers succeed. Sure, like any publicly traded company we have to please our stakeholders, but none of that works unless our sellers sell, and buyers choose eBay to spend their dollars. There isn't a way where we can disregard our members and still succeed. With that said, you are free to believe what you want, and I hope we can prove you wrong in the long run.

Yes, but with all due respect to you personally Raphael (since I expect the decision to force $CDN-only listings was thrust unasked on you as much as on us), eBay has been doing what many governments discovered they could do long ago -- finding back-door means of increasing cash flow without having to directly announce such cash grabs.  

I'm speaking here of the longstanding problem of FVFs on shipping charges that honest sellers refund to their buyers.  As I pointed out above, it seems to me that moving more Cdn sellers to .com will enhance the effect of this "hidden" pool of fees a thousandfold.  That, combined with the announced store fee increase, must surely have made dropping $US listings on .ca an attractive move.  Add a few vague data announcements and eBay is covered.  

I'm sorry to sound cynical, but I can't help feeling there is a lot of manipulation of sellers going on behind the scenes.  I think eBay needs to recall what their product really is.  It isn't the things so slickly advertised on their landing pages.  It is the sellers they attract (and keep!) on their site who understand how to sell.  How many of those sellers are you going to lose completely as a result of the never-ending contortions eBay puts us through?

Message 60 of 90
latest reply