Listing says three places shipping is $4.25, in print on ad it says international is $12 , seemed like 2 dif things? 150941610987

HI, when I search to buy, I always use advanced search to show items available to canada, and sort by price+shipping lowest first so I only see items I can actually buy.  I tend to only buy off those that are fair with shipping...so if an item will be $5 actual cost to ship I might pay up to $8 if I really want it sort of thing.  This listing showed me on the mobile app and at home that the shipping was $4.25 to my postal code, seems pretty specific.  The listing itself didnt mention canada separately but showed international to be $12+ which is about what it would cost me overseas so it seemed right.  Anyway invoice comes and it says the 12+.  Seller is giving me option to get out but are others getting same deal and just paying the higher amount? 8 profit off shipping is more than the shipping company stands to make off it...almost 200% markup, no?  Anyway, thanks for any information, it seems impossible to get help with a lot of things from ebay and even at this late point in the game, their support to non americans is crap and their site works for and favours american sellers.  SO many of the tools and such are a joke, like add photos to a ebay mail, that button did nothing and shipping calculators in general.  Anyway, one prob at a time, thanks for your attention, happy ebaying!

Kimmy

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Listing says three places shipping is $4.25, in print on ad it says international is $12 , seemed like 2 dif things? 150941610987

Some American dealers are not aware that there is a different, lower, rate for Canadian destinations than for overseas.

In addition, many US sellers prefer to have Delivery Confirmation on all their shipments, and that will cost over $20 minimum.

Your search may not be bringing up the listings you think it will. I believe that "Available to Canada"plus Lowest Price plus Shipping" are discrete.

The item may be available to Canada but the price plus shipping may only be sorting for American shipping.

Personally, I think the mobile apps are oversold. When you find something you want, put it on your Watch List until you can access a full screen and read the whole listing.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Re: Listing says three places shipping is $4.25, in print on ad it says international is $12 , seemed like 2 dif things? 150941610987

Hello ''Kimmy',

That post-sale shipping increase you describe is not uncommon.  It is, however, not allowed.  A seller is required to be clear about what it costs to ship an item, and cannot charge more than what it says in the listing on the shipping tab.  I look at this listing and it clearly says $4.25 to Canada.

But you're right, - it also says 12 bucks in 2 other places.  When you see something like that, the best thing to do is ask what is intended before you bid.  He'll say $12 of course, but you can at least decide then it you want to bother at all or not.  It is misleading to clearly show a low fee to Canada but hide it in the listing that you will be charged three times as much.  See the following link regarding shipping and handling costs:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html

So what to do about it now is entirely up to you.  By right, the seller should ship it to you for the $4.25, - and just so you know, depending on the weight of it, it won't cost anywhere near 12 bucks, not for First Class, which he claims to be using.  Have a look at the USPS rate finder:

http://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10054

Go down to where it says Select Shape, choose Package, enter the weight, and on the next page near the bottom click on First Class Mail Options. 

If the seller has offered you an exit, you can decide if you want to pay the $8 premium for the item or cancel the sale. 

And if you pay or go the cancellation route, - you get to leave feedback. 🙂  You only have 60 days in which to do it, and the more level-headed you sound in stating the facts, the more likely you will be believed by other buyers.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Oh, and a word about the way you are searching, - If you use the left side Location to choose Canada, - you are pretty much limiting yourself to Canadian sellers.  Depending on what you are trying to buy, you may never find any.  If you shop from ebay Canada most everything you look for in search will be available to you.  Just don't go to ebay.com, unless you are very careful to read if the seller ships worldwide.

But if you use the Canadian ebay site all those sellers around the globe who are willing to ship here will have their items appear.  If a seller does not state a shipping fee to Canada, simply send a note and ask for it.  

If, however, you prefer to shop from Canada and the US only, choose North America from the left side.  Doing so also eliminates a lot of that Asian rubbish which, depending on what you're looking for, floods the search with garbage in the thousands and can be infuriating to look through.  You can alleviate that a bit by searching "price + shipping highest"  and scrolling down to your price range,  - experiment a bit and see what works for you.

Happy hunting. 🙂

Message 4 of 4
latest reply