M.W turner

kouloulou
Community Member

I bought this painting, and I think, I mean, I hope this is by M. W Turner. I took some photos that I have attached here. I did my research and I came to believe that this is a study of The Bay of Baiae with Apollo and the Sibyl. The original is in a museum in the united states. Note that the painting has not been completed, see the tree leaves. It is smaller than the original, it measures about 54 inches by 36 inches, including the frame. In the back of the canvas, There is the  logo of windsore and Newton, written in large letters, and on the frame in smaller letters. Windsore and Newton provided  M.W Turner with materiel. Theonlyproblemisthatthispaintingisnotsigned, butitisstillbeautiful and I have a feeling that this painting is from a master. ItissurethatI want to know whetheritis an original or a repro. and if  it'sworthtoinvestigatemoreAnyhelpmuchappreciated. Thanks!

userimage

userimage2

userimage3

userimage4

userimage5

userimage6

userimage6

a

b

c

d

e

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

M.W turner

I don't see how we could help you from photos, sorry.  You should have a professional look at it for authentication.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

M.W turner

Thank you, I will see a professional today and let you know.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

M.W turner

@surplusdealdude wrote:

I don't see how we could help you from photos, sorry.  You should have a professional look at it for authentication.

This is a job for The Antiques Road Show😄

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

M.W turner

If you take the painting to a professional be prepared to pay for the authentication. Also be prepared to be turned down by many experts who do not feel comfortable with authenticating or appraising certain artists.

You should expect a written appraisal on the expert's letterhead, and be prepared to pay even if she decides that the item is not what you hoped. You are paying for the time and knowledge of a professional, not for egoboo.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply