Message from eBay re: Postal Strike

Just received an email from eBay-Canada:

As you are likely aware, there is a possibility that Canada Post services will be impacted by a labour disruption as early as July 2, 2016. We encourage you to visit canadapost.ca/update to read about the latest developments and sign up for email updates.

In the event of a Canada Post labour disruption, eBay will remain open for business, and we’re asking you to do the same. There is no need to put your store on vacation hold, to end listings, or to zero out quantities on multi-quantity listings.

Should Canada Post service be disrupted, we recommend that sellers:

• Continue to list and sell on eBay; and
  • Be considerate and accommodate buyers who may wish to cancel orders if they have not yet been shipped.

eBay will be monitoring, and where possible adjusting, estimated delivery dates and eBay Money Back Guarantee timelines to ensure that sellers are not penalized for shipping delays.

eBay will communicate with buyers who purchase Canadian items prior to, or during, a labour disruption to ensure they are aware of the likelihood of shipping delays.

The eBay Canada Team will post additional details on the Announcements Board as they become available.

What this message tells you is to keep listing, keep selling so eBay keeps on collecting fees..  What this message does not tell you is that if an unhappy buyer leaves negative feedback because of delay caused by the postal strike eBay will NOT remove it.

Message 1 of 114
latest reply
113 REPLIES 113

The message is replicated on the announcement board too.

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2016/06/24/7805/

What are your thoughts on the 'official' recommendation that sellers not put their stores on Vacation or end listings? The prevailing wisdom until now is that many sellers are doing exactly that. 

Message 2 of 114
latest reply

No... No... No... Not Thank you

I need a good vacation   

Message 3 of 114
latest reply

Yes, it is as important what ebay will do as what it will not do. Removing negative feedback is something ebay will not do. Also there is no mention of whether final value fees will be returned when a transaction is cancelled. Since it was not mentioned I would have to think that also will not be looked after.

Message 4 of 114
latest reply

Not putting the store on vacation could end up a nightmare.....

Buyers will adjust.

eBay's approach to the strike is NOT the best recommendation for a seller....

I am already on vacation

Sitting on the sidelines  ready to watch the war between  Canada Post  and the Union

also  I am still in recovery from a messy flu bug....

Message 5 of 114
latest reply

Don't forget the where possible clause below which I also mentioned in my post as lots of people are posting this info

eBay will be monitoring, and where possible adjusting, estimated delivery dates and eBay Money Back Guarantee timelines to ensure that sellers are not penalized for shipping delays.

That leaves a lot of outs. Ebay can do as they please without the outs and clauses,  but they refuse to commit to help sellers. Just more wishy washy of the same non concrete answers

Message 6 of 114
latest reply

I took this up with Raphael at Board Hour. He said he would look into it and get back to us. We must ensure that he does.

Personally, with my handling time now set to 20 days and a note added to the bottom of my Item Description PLUS whatever ebay will do to get the message out to people, I don't see how it is possible for ebay to allow neutral or negative feedback to remain if it is left for 'slow shipping' because it should be as easily removable as a buyer complaining their clearly-stated Used item is used. 

Message 7 of 114
latest reply

"What are your thoughts on the 'official' recommendation"

I posted on the weekly board hour that I would not accept their recommendation.

My priority has always been to service my customers (all of them: eBay and outside eBay customers).  Taking their money while they wait for me to ship a week or two later is NOT good customer service in my book.

And then there is the announced policy that eBay will NOT remove negative or neutral feedback left by unhappy buyers experiencing a delay due to the strike.  While I do not expect negative feedback, others may experience them and I think it is unfair for eBay to push us to sell so they collect our FVF while not adequately "protecting" sellers who received bad feedback.

Message 8 of 114
latest reply

I think you will find in the future Ebay will not longer care about negs and neuts as they no longer impact a seller as far as defects.

They will probably in the future not remove any left for sellers.

Message 9 of 114
latest reply

Continue to list... YES

Continue to sell.... No... No... NO

It is my business..... my choice

Message 10 of 114
latest reply

"Ebay will not longer care about negs and neuts"

I know but, quite candidly, I do NOT care what eBay cares about.

Buyers do care about feedback.  They are the one I care about.  Not eBay.

Message 11 of 114
latest reply

With all the problems coming into play with the EU vote in England, I don't think Ebay can afford any problems from Canada.

Their stock dropped about 6% as England is a big player with Ebay.

Message 12 of 114
latest reply

Pierre. I am agreeing 100% with you or did you misunderstand what I posted.

Message 13 of 114
latest reply

With an Anchor store.....  my fees for a store on vacation will be $300 Canadian dollars per 30 days

No problem!

Message 14 of 114
latest reply

That's quite expensive but do you really trust Ebay to protect you, I certainly don't.

I closed on the 15th to be safe.

Message 15 of 114
latest reply

No way in H E double hockey sticks am I staying open. Customers buy from me because they want it "not now right now". Often, they need a car part to either safety their car or to sell it. "Please wait to use your car for a month while we sort this out"? Nu-huh!

I have lots of other things to do.

Stay open and in business? Not a chance.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 114
latest reply

Has there been any messaging regarding INRs processed through Ebay or Paypal as a result of this postal disruption? I have only seen talk about shiiping time defects.

Message 17 of 114
latest reply

I have asked on chat twice and got another non answer.

Message 18 of 114
latest reply

Each seller  must decide what to do ....  Their own specific decision

To Vacation... Or... Not to vacation

Message 19 of 114
latest reply

Just closed down as well we like to keep our customers happy !

Enjoy the break guys see you soon.

Message 20 of 114
latest reply