Multiple DSR from combined shipment

I recently had a new bad ebay experience I think is worth highlighting.   I sold three items to a buyer in Australia (I"m in Canada).   The total winning bids from the three auctions was a bit over US$600.   The buyer wanted me to send by untracked mail (in breach of Ebay's and Paypal's rules).   I said I would be happy to combine shipping in one box, but I would only ship by tracked and insured surface or airmail.   I sent an invoice with both options.   The buyer paid for airmail (about twice the cost of surface mail).    It arrived on schedule, and the buyer left me three positive feedbacks, stating "Thanks", "Thanks" and "Thanks All OK."   He also left me a 1 or 2 on the DSR for the cost of shipping!    Apparently as retribution for my refusal to send by untracked mail. 

Now here is the interesting part.   Because this was effectively a single transaction, with one payment, one package, and one postage payment, the three positive feedbacks only increase my feedback total by 1, not 3.   However, the three 1 or 2 DSR ratings show up as three new 1 or 2 DSR ratings for the cost of shipping (even though it was one combined transaction, from one buyer, with one payment, and one package).    To really add insult to injury, by combining shipping, two of the three items were effectively sent for free!

We all know that the DSR for the cost of shipping is unfair because sellers have no control over the price Canadapost charges to send packages.    What I didn't know until now, is that a combined shipment allows the buyer to leave multiple DSR's which are each individually counted!

I phoned ebay, and explained my situation.    I was transferred around, then finally was connected to someone who agreed it was unfair, and said she would appeal the DSR's.   She also told me if nothing changed after 48 hours, then my appeal was denied!    Well nothing changed, so apparently ebay decided to uphold this situation.

So in summary, multiple positive feedbacks from items bought at the same time by the same buyer, only increase your feedback total by 1, but DSR's are counted individually!    This is asymmetrical, and makes it even harder for sellers to achieve/maintain top rated status.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Follow up.  I phoned Ebay again to ask about this issue.   This time I was told that if you send multiple items in a single package, with a single selling fee, then the buyer can leave a DSR shipping cost rating for each item item included that single package.

ie, this means if you sell 10 items to one buyer, and send them in one package, with one combined shipping fee.  That buyer can royally screw up your DSR ratings by leaving you 10 low DSR ratings for the cost of mail - even though the buyer only paid one mail fee!

After this was explained to me by ebay CSR Emanuel, I asked her if that policy was fair, and if she believed it was fair.   She stated that it is a fair policy, and she personally believes it to be a fair policy!

She also told me, if I don't like it, then I should ship for free.

I pointed out that combining shipping makes shipping free for the combined items, but she refused to accept that fact.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Sounds like you should be leaving a Response to each of those positive feedbacks.

Responses do not affect feedback ratings in any way.

The most effective Response is calm and factual.

But Responses are not required to be positive.

Think carefully and remember your future customers will read your Responses, but other sellers won't.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Buyers that do this kinda stuff make me sick.

I try to stick to positive messages but I also wanna warn other sellers when they're rude or leave negative feedback that isn't your fault. Them not reading the description, shipping time & shipping costs aren't the Sellers fault. Buyers just seem to always blame us for everything.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

From time to time I browse some of my competitors feedback to see what's happening. Often I also browse their negatives and neutrals. When I see bad feedbacks that look to be buyer caused, I block the buyer from being able to buy from me too.....

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Well, just another headache to add to the list of woes for sellers relating to shipping:_|. 

I must admit I hadn't considered the combined shipping/multiple DSR might be an issue, but I will now. 

I've always found it useful to try and be proactive where shipping is concerned: empathize, even to the point of melodrama, and explain, explain, explain to the buyer beforehand, in as gentle and sweet a manner as possible.  I accept that buyers are by and large ignorant of shipping issues (except price of course!), so I try to head off any bad feelings (and potentially rotten DSRs) from the start. 

Can I play devil's advocate?  When you told the buyer you'd be happy to combine shipping but "would only ship by tracked and insured...", did you say exactly that, or did you take some time to explain how this protects both parties, how you recognize the cost is higher than uninsured, but that you were able to save her $X by combining shipping, and how you wished there was a cheaper way to Australia, but want to be sure she got her valuable items quickly and safely,... etc., etc.?   In a situation like this, where I just know shipping is going to end up being an issue, I send a separate, personal email to the buyer before doing up the invoice, so I have room for a more detailed explanation.  Would that help next time?

Oh, when will we have a way to "beam it up Scottie" instantly?  Until then, we're stuck with shipping charges so have to be both public relations managers and teachers where our buyers are concerned. 

Also, I must say, shame on eBay for not accepting your DSR appeal! 

Cheers,

Patricia

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I was transferred around, then finally was connected to someone who agreed it was unfair, and said she would appeal the DSR's.   She also told me if nothing changed after 48 hours, then my appeal was denied! 

I was once told something similar by an ebay rep, but they also told me the message would be delivered by an elf on a Unicorn 🙂

The lesson I learned that day was that if there is no ability to follow up, they can do as they please. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

I think you should report this buyer if it's still possible. If not, try contacting Raphael here at eBay. He's good at helping members. His email is raphael "at" ebay.com

Message 8 of 8
latest reply