New compulsory "Import Fees" from USA to Canada

Member since 2010 (632 100% feedback). I have been experiencing the new compulsory "import fees" policy on items from USA. Surprising! I am disappointed with this policy. It is a negative one on many levels notwithstanding for USA and eBay revenues, as many like myself will now be sure to be motivated to resource items outside of USA, and outside of eBay.

Also disappointing is a story I was told that USPS recently (January 28, 2013) redefined Canada from being an 'intermediary' to an 'international' country, and therefore shipping fees from the USA to Canada have risen 80%!

Must be people in rooms in the USA racking their brains on how to support the USA economy versus just printing money.

Message 1 of 485
latest reply
484 REPLIES 484

Re: Another bad ebay blunder

The worst thing is when the seller is shipping via Fedex or UPS.

I' ve bought a watch, 250$, shipping was 30$, import fees: 25$ (approx). Fedex added the brokers fees above all (35$). They are taking us hostage. It's a racket. bottom line!

Message 341 of 485
latest reply

While trying to fix another problem problem, ebay is aggravating the very element that keeps them alive - the buyer.  A definite blunder on the part of ebay and the more they push to make this work the more people will consider other options. I’m sure Amazon is watching this one with delight.

What can you do?

1. It seems like others are catching on to this, but I will no longer contribute to this money grab on ebays part. Buy only from buyers that do not take part in this new global shipping program.
  2. If an auction requires an import fee be paid, demand from the buyer that they remove it before you will commit to a purchase.  This will alert the buyer to the fact that he is losing business because of this global shipping program.
  3. Complain to ebay.  Use their customer support page and request a phone call from them.  

Message 342 of 485
latest reply

demand from the buyer that they remove it before you will commit to a purchase.

I hope you are kidding.

How about asking politely if it is possible to remove the GSP before you commit to buy.

Any message with a demanding attitude & you will see yourself on a Blocked Buyers List.

Message 343 of 485
latest reply

@alphabet.soup.1971 wrote:

While trying to fix another problem problem, ebay is aggravating the very element that keeps them alive - the buyer.  A definite blunder on the part of ebay and the more they push to make this work the more people will consider other options. I’m sure Amazon is watching this one with delight.

What can you do?

1. It seems like others are catching on to this, but I will no longer contribute to this money grab on ebays part. Buy only from buyers that do not take part in this new global shipping program.
  2. If an auction requires an import fee be paid, demand from the buyer that they remove it before you will commit to a purchase.  This will alert the buyer to the fact that he is losing business because of this global shipping program.
  3. Complain to ebay.  Use their customer support page and request a phone call from them.  

1.  You haven't made your case that this is a "money grab on eBay's part".  Remember, "import charges" include the taxes (e.g. GST/PST/HST/QST) one would have to pay if an item is sent by mail and assessed those taxes by CBSA.  What's left after taxes (and possibly duty) is what Pitney-Bowes takes to run the GSP.  eBay may get a small cut from that or something out of the shipping charge.

2.  I agree with the previous post:  How do you expect sellers to remove the import charges when they haven't put them there in the first place?  You can certainly ask if they'll consider relisting the item without the GSP, but try to do your number crunching first if it's a larger or more expensive item.  It may work out to be a better deal for you with the GSP.  Just make sure you factor in the sales taxes you might have to pay and work out what the chances are of you paying them if the item is sent by mail.

3.  I just compared the same mobile phone on the .com and .ca sites of the eCommerce juggernaut you mentioned.  I went through almost all the checkout process.  While I wasn't charged taxes at all (on a $300+ phone!) on the .ca site, it was considerably more expensive than on the .com site, where I couldn't purchase the phone at all, and it was from the same seller!  Since that phone was being co-sold through that site's fulfillment division and the number on hand differed between the two sites, I'd have to conclude that the phone on .ca was already on Canadian soil and taxes and other fees were already factored into the item price.

In other words, import charges and taxes are likely more hidden on that other site than they are through the GSP.

4.  Make sure you have all your facts straight before complaining to eBay.  I haven't purchased anything through the GSP and will only do so when it looks as though it makes sense to me.  The GSP undoubtedly has its problems.  However, I think it's unfair for faulting the GSP for doing the job its supposed to do.  Nobody likes to pay taxes on their items, but to couch your issues as a "money grab" on eBay's part is grossly inaccurate.

Message 344 of 485
latest reply

I buy diabetic test strips and have been using Ebay for them since January 2011.  Sellers would usually label them as diabetic test strips and they would pass through customs free, regardless on value paid.  Diabetic test strips are not subject to import duties, nor are they subject to GST and also PST in most provinces as they are a medical aid.  Only once (out of approxiamately 50 purchases) was I charged for GST & PST and I was able to be reimbursed by customs Canada when I showed them the error.

Now, with Global Shipping, Pitney does not charge for test strips costing less than $20.  When the price reaches $20, they charge a flat fee of $4.27 plus a 5.1% charge for any value over $20.  So for a purchase of $500, the charge is $4.27 plus 5.1% of $480, for a total of $28.75.

All this program has done for me is add about a 7% surcharge as I usually spend about $180.  There are not any duties or taxes paid to Canadian governments or agencies, just a money grab of a flat fee of $4.27 plus 5.1% of the purchase price over $20.

Message 345 of 485
latest reply

Glucose test strips are generally considered "zero rated" (no GST/HST) when prescribed by a physician.

I do not know if the "zero rated" status applies to imports if no prtescription was issued.

Since I am over 65, the cost is mostly covered by the Ontario Government.  For those under 65, I do not know.

I suggest you make a claim through PayPal for the tax portion of the Pitney Bowes invoice.  That will get their attention!

Message 346 of 485
latest reply

Since they've implemented the new compulsory Import fees I have not spent one penny with US sellers. That and the super high shipping costs. The prices USPS now charge, make it unapplealing to buy from US sellers. I use to spend at least 10k a year with US sellers. Now things I use to buy for $20 and $5 shipping now cost me $40 to buy. Ebay better wake up soon because there will be a mass exodus. I now buy primarily from China not because I want to but because I have to!

Message 347 of 485
latest reply

interesting to note....apparently there has been so much flack that has finally drawn the attention of Ebay to the point they added an option to cancel a transaction that says cancelling due to Global Shipping Program-

Message 348 of 485
latest reply

When this global ship program 1st came out I got an email which I clicked the link. It had the agreement and 2 options agree or don't agree. I clicked don't agree. It took me to another page that says "how to close your account" I found that to be a real punch to the balls. I've spent well over 100k on ebay fees over the yrs and for them to do that really disgusted me. They have since changed it. It now says accept or review later.

Message 349 of 485
latest reply

@isis1313 wrote:

interesting to note....apparently there has been so much flack that has finally drawn the attention of Ebay to the point they added an option to cancel a transaction that says cancelling due to Global Shipping Program-

I imagine they did that so they could track how often it happened. It will be interesting to see what happens down the road.

Message 350 of 485
latest reply

marnotom!
Community Member

@slickdecals wrote:

When this global ship program 1st came out I got an email which I clicked the link. It had the agreement and 2 options agree or don't agree. I clicked don't agree. It took me to another page that says "how to close your account" I found that to be a real punch to the balls. I've spent well over 100k on ebay fees over the yrs and for them to do that really disgusted me. They have since changed it. It now says accept or review later.

My understanding is that those emails were supposed to go out to American .com members only and the page the email was directing them to was for the updated user agreement. If users didn't like the new user agreement, they were directed to the page giving information on closing their account.

The click-through for the GSP is supposed to be something separate. In any event, if you're a Canadian eBay user, you can't use the GSP as a seller so you should continue to ignore that page's pleas to welcome the GSP into your heart.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you got that email in the first place. Do you have an older eBay ID that you originally registered on .com? I'm wondering if you've been "grandfathered" as a .com user rather than "converted" into a .ca user.

Message 351 of 485
latest reply

I was going to buy a pair of headphones today from a US seller. It costs around $20 to ship and $20 for the import fee. So if I do this, what are the chances of me paying MORE money at the door?

Message 352 of 485
latest reply

@exoteeth wrote:

I was going to buy a pair of headphones today from a US seller. It costs around $20 to ship and $20 for the import fee. So if I do this, what are the chances of me paying MORE money at the door?

In theory, none.

Message 353 of 485
latest reply

Just curious if you are actually following all the feedback coming about this, because you don't seem to follow. We're not talking about $300 items. Many $20 items cost 50% more with import fees. Ridiculous if you are bringing items into Canada. Any experienced ebayer knows it's a rarity to get charged duties/taxes under $100. Noticed you have a feedback of 1??? Do you have experience on ebay relating to the statements you make?

I stand by my statement that this is a big blunder on ebays part.

Message 354 of 485
latest reply

The headphones I'm looking at are $200. $23.09 import fee seems reasonable AS LONG as I don't get doubled dinged. I'm just curious how the carrier knows I've alreay paid. It says "International Priority Shipping" so I assume it will be handled by Canada Post.

Message 355 of 485
latest reply

Weird, a whole wack of posts here have been deleted.  Mine included.  Can anyone tell me how does Canada Post know that I have paid the duty through ebay?

Message 356 of 485
latest reply

Ok, I think my answer is here... Post 15 on this thread.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Canadian-buyers-and-GSP/td-p/124659

Message 357 of 485
latest reply

@exoteeth wrote:

Weird, a whole wack of posts here have been deleted.  Mine included.  Can anyone tell me how does Canada Post know that I have paid the duty through ebay?

The discussion boards were down supposedly for maintenance on both the .com and .ca sites a few hours ago.  What we may be seeing right now is some sort of restore point.  I'm hoping the missing posts come back up in the next twelve hours or so, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, I know that you have an answer to your question now, but to put it simply for anybody else who may be reading this, Canada Post doesn't charge taxes (and duty if applicable).  They just collect it if instructed to by the Canada Border Services Agency.  Since the package won't be going through CBSA, they won't be getting instructions to collect any taxes/duties owing on it.

Message 358 of 485
latest reply

Ebay obviously doesn't believe in freedom of speech my posts were deleted too!

Message 359 of 485
latest reply

@pimpbike_undertails wrote:

Ebay obviously doesn't believe in freedom of speech my posts were deleted too!

As the post above you says, the boards were down and not all posts were restored when they came back up. Freedom of speech as nothing to do with it.

Message 360 of 485
latest reply