PLEASE HELP! When you change your account billing currency...

aabros
Community Member
Hi there. I have changed my account billing currency yesterday from CDN$ to U$. I have now been charged 3 X $1.00 and 1 X $1.03 from EBAY SAN JOSE CA on my new PayPal credit card. How come? Thanks for your help. -Anthony
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

retrorescue
Community Member
I had a similar problem..(long explanation)

When I switched my billing currency from CAD to USD this summer, I started to get charges on my new USD account, which was fine, but I also continued to get charges on my CAD currency account, which got me worried that I was being double-charged.

Upon detailed investigation, and lengthy discussions with ebay on the phone, I found out that for any items that were originally listed during the period in which I was a CAD currency account holder and that I chose to RELIST, a new charge for listing, and for final value if sold, would accrue in the CAD account, rather than map into the new USD account.

Second problem was, I was told that I had to settle the CAD account remnant via cheque and that I could NOT have the amount settled via Paypal credit card. So, I did as I was asked, paid the outstanding CAD account via check, and THEN I got charged with a Paypal credit card for the same amount.

Third problem was, settlement of the CAD remnant amount, even if no further transactions go thru it via relisting, may NEVER get settled because of the way the amount gets translated from a nominal base USD first into CAD on a daily exchange rate basis, hence it remained unsettled by a fraction of a dollar.

Fourth problem was, the unsettled amount continues to age until eBay sends a nasty warning that my Account would be
suspended due to the overdue status of my account.

After two months of discussions, the only solution was:

1. eBay had to apply a CREDIT for the double charge that came from my manual cheque payment and the charge via Paypal credit card..

2. eBay had to INACTIVATE my CAD account so no further charges would accrue and so no Suspension of the account would take place.

3. The only way to resolve this is to CALL eBay on the phone. Don't use email because you'll get a new person every time and they more often than not get confused and give you a quickie answer solution that involves minimal to no research on their part.

Good luck,
RAY(retrorescue)

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
Thanks Ray,
Do you have their telephone number? Does this happen all the time? Or you were just unlucky ? 😉 Thanks
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
I have a CND account which has been sitting at $3 or so for almost a year. I've had the "nasty email" which says I'll be banned from eBay, but so far nothing has been done. I'd love to pay the $3, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. I plan on leaving it there until eBay gets their act in gear.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
did I make a mistake by switching my account billing currency? I'm kind of afraid now!! Please post!
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

retrorescue
Community Member
Switching to US billing currency was worth it for me because there is a cleaner alignment with doing business in US dollars from revenues to selling expenses so you avoid the foreign exchange issues.

The fact that US dollars are weakening vs the CAD is also a plus, although that is not a permanent benefit.

RAY

Message 6 of 6
latest reply