PayPal does not understand customer service outside of the USA...

treasure-pot
Community Member
Ok, the background story will take a minute...

I recently received my PayPal debit card which I though was going to be great to give me virtually instant access to MY money. I was going to use it to purchase inventory from vendors, eBay fees, etc.

Little did I know.

In the past week I made purchases with the card of about $4K without a hitch. Got the cashback so that kinda made up for what I was losing in exchange.

Then I tried to switch my eBay account to my PayPal debit card. I was instantly denied. Now, I know the funds are there but I was kinda rushed when I was doing it so I figured I made a simple mistake and that I would go back to sorting it out later.

Today I tried to make a $900 CAD purchase from one of my vendors and it was denied. Tried it again - denied again. I know the money is there so I pay by another means and rush home to call PayPal.

PayPal customer service advises me that a block was put on the card on the 12th by their external 3rd party security company. Apparently they monitor card activity and had noticed my purchases and decided to throw the switch.

Here is the kicker - nobody bothered to let me know. No phone call - no email - nothing. So I'm walking around with I card that no longer gives me access to MY money.

PayPal customer service tells me to call the security company to ensure that the block is removed and to give them heck for not letting me know that a block was put on in the first place. I call them up and get the block removed but learn something unexpected. PayPal has given them express instructions not to contact customers outside of the USA by phone. They can call any USA customer if their is a problem but they don't want them talking to foreigners.

So I ask the security company rep why didn't they even bother to email me. No can do - PayPal has not given them access to their customer email database. The security rep suggests it is a matter to be taken up with PayPal as they are simply following the instructions they receive from PayPal. I ask if it a block can be put on after every three or four large purchases and I'm advised "probably".

Back on the phone to PayPal and the CS rep is surprised to learn that PayPal has these rules that security cannot contact Canadian customers but confirms that it is true. There is nothing that can be done. He is going to send an email to advise of my frustration - oh, goody!

He then suggests I write a letter to the PayPal Board of Directors to advise them of my displeasure. I would but I'm not sure they would put down their donuts long enough to read my letter when they next meet.

So to summarize...

PayPal can throw the switch on your card access at the drop of a hat but lacks the will to contact their customers to tell them they have done so. They will not telephone internationally and will not make the email address available to their outside security to have their customer advised that access is blocked.

If you live in the USA apparently your poop doesn't stink but if you live in Canada, while your money may be good enough to take, apparently you don't rate even the most basic of service.

Ah yes, PayPal, an eBay company.

Bill

Bill

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
I have had the block placed many times on my paypal account . Generally it happens when you purchase a large item out of the ordinary . However the third part is misinforming you , I have been called 12 times from the third part working for paypal . Each time I have told them , who I am . Each time they say ok? Then they STILL place the block on the account.

I have spent many the time on the phone with paypal , asking how to prevent this . We dump the money into our business account through our credit card machine in the office , This means once or twice a weeks we are dumping large volume through it , getting 1.5% back into the paypal account . We also only have to wait 24hours and the funds are in our hands . We also get a better exchange rate because it done through the credit card company .

But yes i have been tier , however they do call Canadian's
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
No, they don't Todd. That was the whole point of my post. Sheesh, did you think I was making it up?

Would you like the toll free number for their outside security to verify this? They have clear instructions from PayPal not to call outside of the USA. PayPal has confirmed this as well.

I just spent an hour and twenty minutes on three phone calls trying to get the full story on this. PayPal customer service confirms that there is nothing that they can do to modify these instructions to the third party company who provides their card security. Thats when they gave me the address for their Board of Directors.

For other PS'ers wanting to confirm this you are welcome to email me directly for the toll free telephone numbers for PayPal and their security firm.

Bill

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

mahsauction
Community Member
I got an email from Paypal when my debit card was blocked and it had a 800 number included in the email to call. I called and got unblocked in about 10 minutes.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
Ok I can not comment on what you have been told . However I can comment on the fact I have been called in Canada by this party. As I have stated they ask info related to the purchase. So All I can state is I have been called by the 3rd part in Canada several times

Todd
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Can I have the 800 # for the Security line? to unblock my card?
They block my card everytime I take money out of my account at a teller. So basically I don't do it anymore but had to unblock it the other day and it came out of my pocket. For future reference, what is the toll free # for security thanks!
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
mikers99, email me and I will be happy to supply it.

Bill

Bill

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

momosworld
Community Member
Very strange, I remember I was on my way to Florida in the summer and I used my card for gas all the way down, but at some point my card wouldn't work anymore so I called paypal and they gave me the third party #, I called them and they lifted the ban right away...I guess I was just lucky.

Good luck with it and let us know what happened.

Momo

My mommy says i'm cool

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Bump.

Care to comment, Randall?

Bill

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

randall@ebay.com
Community Member
treasure-pot,

I'm checking with someone for clarification and should be able to update more tomorrow.

Regards,
Randall
PayPal
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

atticmania
Community Member
I have spent much on the phone with paypal as well, asking how to prevent this ((card block)), and it seems that there is nothing that they can do, and that there is no way to change their policy. The whole process of having my funds blocked and having to phone the third party security company to unblock my card has become quite routine for me - Grrrr. (usually happens about once a week !! ) For the record, I have never been contacted prior to a block either.
It is interesting to see so many others experiencing this. Nice to see that Paypal is reading what we have to say and I am Looking forward to what Randall's response.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Randall, I have quit using my debit card until I get some clarification.

Thanks

Bill

Bill

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

randall@ebay.com
Community Member
Bill,

PayPal is already in the process of correcting this problem. I'm told that the statement suggesting PayPal "prohibits" calls is innacurate. There were apparantly some issues with ensuring that Non-US phone numbers were relayed and displayed correctly.

Regardless, this should be fixed soon. I can't give you a specific date, but if you have other debit card issues that need clarification you can email me and I will have someone research further.

Regards,
Randall
PayPal Consumer Relations
Message 13 of 13
latest reply