Privitize Canada Post?

With their looming losses ahead, Canada Post needs to do an overhaul in order to survive.  Every year, postage goes up and the service stays the same.  I just received a shipment from Isreal - it was mailed on Sunday, probably left the country Monday and was at my doorstep Friday (5 days!).  The parcel weighed at least 2 pounds and I was charged only $12; this same parcel on the other hand if I was sending it to isreal would be an exorbitant $40 and probably take up to 20 days to receive.  I am afraid that if something doesn't happen soon, Canadian sales will fall into the toilet due to the high cost of shipping.  I get asked all the time if there is a cheaper rate.

What does everyone else think?

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Privitize Canada Post?

Skills are intangible.

Bingo.

Photobucket
Message 41 of 47
latest reply

Funny in 2014  year end over   and Canada Post is reporting  millions of dollars in profits    That will all go to management bonuses again this year.   They will tell you it is because the raised the letter postage rate up.  What a crock  when they say letter mail is going down but now we make money on it since we raised the price.    Fire all upper management CEO and Directors  total dead weight

Message 42 of 47
latest reply

"Canada Post is reporting  millions of dollars in profits"

Please take the time to read the financial statements carefully.

One does not need a degree in advanced mathematics to see that the reduction in pension liabilities more or less match the total "profit" for the year.

Without that reduction in pension plan liability for its employees and retirees, there would have been no profit.

Message 43 of 47
latest reply

USPS is financed by U.S Taxpayer and postage fees.Canada Post is Not! financed by the Canadian government and taxpayers but receives funding from postage fees.So to compare profit source is not the same.That is why USPS rates were lower and now the mass of job losts in USPS is a result of the government not wanting to finance but see a increase of profit by means of lay offs and rate increases and no Saturday delivery.Canada Post was at one time financed by government until went crown corporation.

And if it were to go private your postal rates in Canada would be 2 or more times costly.

The new boxes and removal of door to door with new automated system will cut staff and reduce operating costs.Will it go private totally?Not in our life time.

Message 44 of 47
latest reply

Also they have changed pension type from federal pension plan to a more cost effect plan for anyone who started after 2012.As the previous plans are federal plan Grandfathered by government civil servants funding.

And Canada Post neglects to mention that they loaned out monies years ago from pension fund which they lost as was never repaid to date.

Worked there 35 years and there's a lot they are not disclosing.

Message 45 of 47
latest reply

If Canada Post is showing a profit it would due to parcel delivery and the fact that two thirds of Canadians are using community mail boxes.

Message 46 of 47
latest reply

Interesting ....only had one parcel lost after shipping 800 Parcels . Quick in settling claim for $1,000 .

Message 47 of 47
latest reply