Refund question

This buyer bought an item almost a month ago and only managed to send pictures of the item's broken parts (they can be reglued) yesterday asking for the money back, at my answer that I have no problem with it as soon as I get the item back, she answered she won't spend anymore money on it and to do whatever I want. 

What is your suggestion? Refund and forget about the item?

can she open a case with eBay and get a refund without having to send the item back?

thanks.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Refund question

What is the value of the item?  How much would it cost to send it back?

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Refund question

@rio1953 wrote:

This buyer bought an item almost a month ago and only managed to send pictures of the item's broken parts (they can be reglued) yesterday asking for the money back, at my answer that I have no problem with it as soon as I get the item back, she answered she won't spend anymore money on it and to do whatever I want. 

What is your suggestion? Refund and forget about the item?

can she open a case with eBay and get a refund without having to send the item back?

thanks.

I find it curious that you mention the item can be "reglued" Exactly what does that have to do with anything? Unless you advertised and sold the item as broken and easily reglued, not only does it have nothing to do with thtis instance but it might make one believe that you think it is entirely reasonable for someone to be satisfied with receiving a broken item so long as they can "easily reglue" it. I'm just commenting on the appearance of the statement. As for it taking almost a month for the buyer to get pictures to you, did they contact you previously about the damage and are just now getting you the pictures or has it been almost a month since they purchased it and this is first contact regarding the damage? Also, they may have purchased it a month ago but when did theyn actually receive it. Shipping time, depending on your mode of shipping, could have eaten up most of that month. Regardless people have busy lives and it may simply be a case where the buyer just did not have the time to make contact any faster. You haven't told us how long they have actually had the item.It is not of huge import but it does fill in a blank.

As far as the circumstance is concerned, obviously, if the item arrived broken and was not advertised/sold as such, the buyer has a strong NAD or SNAD case. They will, in all likelihood win that case if it is put to Ebay. I would be asking myself what I would want with a broken item back. Even if it can be reglued selling it again, as a repaired item, in most cases is not worth the effort. Looking in your sold items I see nothing of significant enough value that, if offered in damaged and repaired condition, will pull a high enough sum to not only be worth the attempted sale but also the risk of the customer not being happy with the repair job and then being right back where you started.

If you are not disputing the fact the item arrived damaged then that begs the question as to why the buyer should be on the hook for the return postage as well. They entered into a "Good Faith" agreement to purchase an item that I am assuming was not damaged and it arrived in a condition other than what was advertised. The buyer does not deserve to be burdened with any costs in this in addition to what they have already suffered. If you need to recoup the costs I would suggest you file a claim with the shipping carrier, and if that is not possible then it is simply one of those cases where you bite the bullet and move on. If biting the bullet is necessary then there is no need to worry about the return shipping of the item as again, you can't expect the buyer to pay that and if you insist on receiving it back that expense will be yours.

From eBay's policies on returns:

"check the Return policy section of the listing. If you're returning an item because it isn't as described in the listing, the seller is responsible for return shipping charges, regardless of the seller's return policy. "

A big part of this business, or any busines for that matter, is providing the highest level of customer service possible so that when instances like this occur your buyer walks away feeling that despite the bump in the road, they will be happy to deal with you again in the future.

Step up and be the kind of seller that anyone would want to deal with again and take pride in that.

Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Cheers,

thD

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Refund question

The buyer can file an item not as described claim through ebay for up to 30 days after estimated delivery date or through paypal for up to 180 days after payment so you will probably have to refund unless you can prove that the buyer broke the item themselves when using it.  But...that's almost impossible to prove and if you fight the case and lose, you will receive an unresolved claim strike.

If the item is now useless to you it makes sense to refund the buyer without requiring a return.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Refund question

She sent photos of the damage.

So the item is broken.

She has 60 days to leave feedback and (trash?) Detailed Seller Ratings.

Refund.

It's a business expense.

Move on.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Refund question

Thanks. I will refund.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply