Seller hasn't shipped item!

Hello folks.  I purchased a vintage Schwinn Stingray bicycle from a seller in Quebec.  The bicycle was $295.00 plus $100.00 shipping.  The shipping was originally $43.00 but after I paid for the bike the seller requested additional funds to cover the extra shipping charges.   Since I realized that shipping of this bike would be more than $43.00, I paid the rest of the shipping.  I paid for the bike on January 24th.  It has been 18 days since I paid for it and the bike hasn't been shipped.  According to the estimated time of delivery, it should have been here by now.  That can't happen if it isn't shipped.  I contacted them  about 10 days after purchase and they did answer me stating that they had just moved and would ship in a few days.  I sent another message a few days later and have not heard back.  I sent another message this morning and still haven't heard back.  I don't know if the seller has regrets about selling the bike, or the amount they got for it but a sale is a sale and they should honor it.  Doesn't look like I will be getting this bike and they will probably then relist it and try for more money.  Should I wait a bit longer or file a item not received case against them?  Thank you in advance for any advice that can be provided.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

mpit7628 wrote:

Should I wait a bit longer or file a item not received case against them?  

That is entirely your decision.  You have to do what YOU want and what will make YOU the happiest.  

Personally, I think you have waited long enough.  It's one thing for items to be slow to arrive because they are mailed Surface, or are stuck in Customs, or the postal system is slow.  But this seller hasn't even sent it out yet.  

After all this time and they still haven't mailed it, obviously this is not someone who cares very much about customer service.  If there is a problem of any kind it won't be a great seller to deal with.  

If it were ME, and this is all just my opinion and not my advice to YOU,  even if I hated to lose out on a really good deal, I would file and get my money back.  I would not bother to communicate any more as I would consider that a waste of time.  Sure, the seller might relist at a higher price, but with no money and no item, I would not feel I am very far ahead anyway.  

A quick recap: 

You have 30 days after that LAST date of delivery to file a claim on eBay.  

On PayPal you have 180 days after you PAID to file a claim.  

Make the choice that you yourself will feel best about.  You still have some time to decide.  

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Second thoughts, 

You know, I just looked that up, and it doesn't look to me like this seller just moved.  There are other things for sale, and that have sold.  And in the bicycle picture, look at all those bottles and junk on that table, that cupboard full of things.  This isn't someone who is packed and ready to move, or someone who just moved.  Maybe, but it sure doesn't look it to me.  

What bothers me most is this, 

" It has been 18 days since I paid for it and the bike hasn't been shipped."

Looking at this and other listings from the seller, and surprisingly all that great feedback, there is no excuse for not mailing an item after 18 days.  

There is not much that can happen now on the weekend, but like I said, just if it were ME, but if it were me and without any further attempts at communication on my part, if I did not have a shipment notice and tracking number by mid-day Monday, I would file the claim.  

Something about this just stinks.  Maybe I'm wrong, but 18 days?  I don't blame you for being annoyed.  I wouldn't like it either. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Since I realized that shipping of this bike would be more than $43.00, I paid the rest of the shipping.

ook at all those bottles and junk on that table, that cupboard full of things.  This isn't someone who is packed and ready to move, or someone who just moved.

I get the feeling that the seller is overwhelmed by the difficulty of packing and shipping a bike.

You might help him by letting him know that moving companies sell boxes for exactly this purpose, and will ship bikes as well-- usually on a per pound basis (so the $43 might have been reasonable).

Message 4 of 4
latest reply