Seller rating

I just lost my top seller rating because of negative feedback for shipping and handling charges. ( 1.15% ) no more discount from Ebay. I have 100 % positive feedback.

I guess people just don't realize how much shipping costs us to ship to US. I actually lose on it after paying the FVF on shipping. I really think this DSR is totally against sellers, just not fair at all.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Seller rating

I don't know if it would help, but I notice you are using Tracked Packet. Have you compared the cost of Expedited Parcel USA? I believe this service includes insurance and Delivery Confirmation, plus you can get a discount of 20-25% off PO counter prices if you print your label through PP.

Since you are in a high fraud category, I would not consider using a service that does not include Delivery Confirmation. Tracking is not necessary. Only DC. (And of course Signature if the payment was over $250 US including shipping fees.)

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Seller rating

I have a feeling that spring update might change something in the DSR system ... This will always be an issue until they change that ...

Many customer will in there head without even really knowing determine what is too much of too little ..

Example ... Selling A heavy bulky item for say $9 with $30 shipping a customer will ask Why does it only cost $9 but the shipping is $30 ..Buyers is assuming shipping should be associated with the price for reasons unknown but these things are annoying and will never change until ebay tinkers with the DSR system which they know is very flawed

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Seller rating

It's really sad that buyers do not understand S&H = Shipping & Handling! They seem to go off the price of postage on the envolope BUT forget the TAXES which are not shown + the Fees now charged by Ebay & the time & effort put into protecting the item for shipment.It's all about a very small amout BUT they never mention the GREAT Deal the recieved on the item purchased LOL S&H fees is how I lost my "Top Rated" title it's SOOOOOOOOO unfair BUT we have NO Control. Bring Back where Sellers can leave Negitive Feedback again!!!! 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Seller rating

I would suggest either going with switching the asking and shipping prices (which is lower $10 item with $25 shipping or $25 item with $10 shipping) or even, in the short run, to recover the TRS discount to Free Shipping ($35 item with Free Shipping).

And don't forget we are allowed to include Handling Charges to cover packaging and taxes. But not self-insurance premiums or other eBay fees.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Seller rating

The DSR rating on shipping is just Ebay`s way of minimizing the number of top rated seller discounts it has to hand out.

Of course its unfair to rate sellers on factors outside of their control.

Ebay could just as easily include a DSR for buyers to rate the attractiveness of the post office delivery person, or the weather on the day the item was delivered.    Both of which are just as outside the sellers control, as the cost of shipping.

As for the suggestion sellers should increase the cost of the item to cover up the cost of shipping!    Thats tantamount to suggesting you stop selling.    If your item is $35, and the other guy`s is $10, you won`t be getting any more low DSR ratings, because you won`t be selling anything!

To further show how crooked this ebay system is, consider my recent experience.

I too lost my top rated seller status because of some DSR 1 and 2 ratings on shipping.    But get this, all three of them, came from one buyer, and one combined package.   The buyer was in Australia, and to minimize the cost of mail, he asked me to ship his three purchases in one box.   I happily did so.   ie, three purchases, but just one package, and one mail charge.    But get this, he apparently thought the mail cost was too high (even though I only charged the mail rate, and the mail rate was clearly shown on the package postal mail sticker), so he left me three DSR 1 or 2 rating for shipping.    ie, one package, but three low DSR scores!    Apparently he was very happy with everything inside of my control, as he left me very positive feedback too!   But just like that, I was no longer a top rated seller.

But it gets better.   Canadian sellers can qualify to be top rated sellers in two different ways. In the Global program, OR the US only program.    My offending buyer was in Australia, so I lost my Top rated selling status in the global area, but my US standing was still fine.   I still met all the requirements for a ebay.ca member to qualify for top rated seller status in the US.

But for some crooked reason ebay removed my top rated US status too!    The reason shown on my seller dashboard is because I don`t meet the tracking info upload requirement for the US (right below that it clearly states that Canadian sellers don`t need to meet the tracking upload requirement).   So Ebay has removed my top rated seller status in the US because of a reason which does not apply to me as a Canadian seller!     Thats the very definition of unfair.

So in summary, Ebay will use any unfair opportunity it can to prevent you from getting that 20% seller discount.

And yes, I`ve phoned ebay, and asked them to fix the above - but nothing has changed.    Ebay is not stupid, they know exactly what they are doing.

I don`t mind the loss of the 20% seller discount, but I really don`t like the reduced exposure that goes with it.   My sales have fallen off a cliff since my top rated seller status was unfairly removed.   The solution is to not sell anything for a year, until those unfair DSR`s disappear.

If you are a long time Ebay seller, you will know that its far easier to obtain top rated seller standing, than it is to retain it.   One of the side affects of Ebay`s DSR shipping policy, is to shut down long term sellers, and favor newby sellers.   Now thats a backward`s strategy - drive off the experienced, honest sellers, and replace them with unproven newbies!   Just one more nail in Ebay`s coffin.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply