September 2nd 2015 Weekly Session

Hello Canadian eBayers,

September already!? Yup.

Continuing with the new format, I'll leave this thread open for most of the day and come reply to your posts on & off throughout. Here are the bugs reported in the last few sessions which I am still tracking:

• Full shipping FVF charged on combined orders with discounted shipping (dutchman48)
  • SYI form stripping the weight off when switching back to USD on an item that was originally in USD and set up with calculated shipping (block36)
  • SYI preventing relist and Sell Similar if the original listing had a non compliant photo (pierrelebel)
  • Notifications reappearing in the header (pocomocomputing)

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

(If I might butt-in on the above subject raised by pierrelab, I've reported to a Customer Service Rep that I spoke to once that the messages a seller receives from ebay after opening a buyer-requested Cancel Transaction request has either misinformation in it or a headline that contradicts its body copy. This would be very confusing for any new seller trying to figure out what to do or what not to do.) 

Message 41 of 47
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:
Listing in USD or CAD on eBay.ca won't change anything to how buyers on eBay.com see items. Neither can be added to the shopping cart on eBay.com.
Raphael, I must disagree with this.  From tests some of us did a while ago, it was clear that those sellers who were listing in $Cdn would not have .com buyers seeing the "Item Not Available" messages simply because it prevented .com buyers from accessing their cart at all.  
This is a better situation than my own (I list in $US on .ca), because my .com buyers have been running into these messages and what I call the "dead-end cart".  In other words, .com buyers who purchase from Canadian sellers listing in $Cdn on .ca don't have the cart available, but they also aren't "turned away" from purchasing by these messages and/or a cart that won't work.  
I realized this after listening to 'mjwl' describe her tests and explaining that she was never seeing those "Item Not Available" messages.  If I switched to listing exclusively in $Cdn, the .com cart won't work for my U.S. buyers, but at least they won't think my items aren't for sale.  It's a band-aid answer.  
"Only items listed on eBay.com can be added to the cart on eBay.com."
Yes, I know, this is the very reason I'm considering switching all my listings onto .com, despite the work and time involved in doing so, and despite the higher FVF costs on shipping.  

Message 42 of 47
latest reply

May I push my luck and ask a couple of additional questions?  I'm really in a rather desperate state over this issue and don't know which choice to make (I wish I didn't have to make any choice, as up until mid-2013, it worked beautifully listing in $US on .ca). 

1.   What is the best method to migrate all my listings over to .com?  I presume I have to work from new listings, i.e. not "Sell Similar" or "Relist"? 

2.   Is there any penalty or black mark involved if I end all my listings on .ca in order to re-list them on .com?  I don't want to accidentally create a duplicate listing. 

3.   Will my automated discount rules (e.g. buy 5, get free shipping) work on .com? 

Yesterday, having yet another buyer who wanted to purchase several items tell me she couldn't make it work, and then disappear (without buying), was the last straw.  

I hate leaving .ca and I hate to have to re-do all my listings, but I really see no other way to make the dysfunctional eBay checkout system work for me. 

Thank you for leaving this post open for a while.  I need the help. 

Message 43 of 47
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Okay, thank you very much. I will continue to report the person both by phone and using the 'report an inappropriate message' link.

Can you shed any light on how this member is still able to contact me despite being added to my 'blocked member' list more than a year ago, after the first message? We've never done business together. Like ever. I would know if we had.

Do I really have to allow him or her to remain a 'follower'? Can't that be overridden somewhere? 

Can you provide advice as to exactly what additional steps can I take to protect myself from these threats of retaliation (for whatever it is that someone else might have done) so that I'm not left to face a pile of trouble that undermines my ability to conduct successful business here? In the most recent three messages, the member makes it quite clear he/she is prepared to do whatever it takes. I take what I do here on ebay seriously and I don't want to see my hard work lost to the actions of an angry, confused person with a grudge against a third-party that I don't even know. What is to prevent a person from creating ten new accounts or guest purchases and attacking any single seller with unpaid items, items not received, items not as described et cetera....? I'm worried.

Thank you again,

Maureen 

Hi Maureen,

I know that getting emails like this can be worrisome, but know that one of the worst offences on eBay is to disrupt another member's business or normal activity on the site. If that person acts on their threats, it won't be long before they are off the site for good.

I really think your best course of action is to report this person each time they send you emails that aren't related to a transaction, and ignore them completely after that. These emails aren't worth your time once you've reported them.

Message 44 of 47
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Good morning Raphael

On the subject of wrong messaging, you may have noticed "Your traffic reports will become inactive on Sep-22-15."

That is also incorrect.  Why?

Hi Pierre,

I'm not familiar enough with traffic reports to say why, or even if this is wrong. What would the right date be?

Message 45 of 47
latest reply

Hi rose-dee,

@rose-dee wrote:
1.   What is the best method to migrate all my listings over to .com?  I presume I have to work from new listings, i.e. not "Sell Similar" or "Relist"?  

Correct. In order to move listings to eBay.com you have to start new listings from scratch there. Best way to do this is probably to start listing on eBay.com instead of relisting on eBay.ca as your current listings sell or expire. You can even open 2 browser windows and log onto both sites at the same time, click Relist or Sell Similar on eBay.ca to get to the listing form, create a new listing on eBay.com and copy-paste each entry with the windows side by side.

@rose-dee wrote:
2.   Is there any penalty or black mark involved if I end all my listings on .ca in order to re-list them on .com?  I don't want to accidentally create a duplicate listing. 

Doing that would mean a lot of work in one shot. I wold favour the method I proposed above, if you only moved ended listings you wouldn't run the risk of creating duplicates. But if you preferred to end everything on .ca and create all your listings on eBay.com, you could. 

@rose-dee wrote:
3.   Will my automated discount rules (e.g. buy 5, get free shipping) work on .com?

Yes, but you may have to re-create them there. You would also be able to use Sales Maximizer which is a more robust version of Markdown Manager with added features, like buy 1, get 1 free and that kind of things.

Message 46 of 47
latest reply

This concludes our chat for this week. Thanks everyone and see you next week!

Message 47 of 47
latest reply