Shipping BIG items to the USA

jvj_enterprises
Community Member
Maybe someone has some experience in this area. I have to ship a NIKKEN King Size Mattress to Texas. 955 of my items are small packet, but every once in a while I do something silly like sell a King size mattress to a state thousands of miles away. Any suggestions on sending LARGE items to the USA would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

x-modz
Community Member
General freight would be the cheapest, likely.

I'm slightly biased, as I work for the company, but checkout www.tstoverland.com. I'm not sure where you are located, but if we cover your area, we can offer premier service at competitive rates.

Otherwise, I've found CanPar to be the chepest US bound shipper for large items like this, but it's going to be more expensive then freight.

Either way, it's going to be a costly affair, however. Can't immagine ever selling something like that on eBay...
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Sorry, but CanPar does not provide direct service to the USA. They would interline which is always less timely and more expensive.

UPS would be a far better alternative than CanPar although packaging should always be a concern with them. They are not gently with freight and notoriosly bad at paying claims.

Bill

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

x-modz
Community Member
UPS is NOT cheaper then Canpar! Please check your information.

I assure you - I didn't mention them simply off hand - I used to deal with them exclusively for large items.

At one point, I was selling Bicycle Trailers on eBay... Boxes were fairly large, weight 31# each. Once cubed, the weight came out to 90+ Lbs.

I was shipping anywhere from 2 to 20 per day.

I looked *EVERYWHERE* (Including Purolator, FedEx Ground, UPS, even Greyhound!) for the cheapest shipping, and CanPar beat them all hands down for pricing.

I know that CanPar is interline in the USA, but it worked stellar for me. Their US Partner is Airborne Express, which was reliable, and fast.

I assure you, UPS would be FAR more expensive..if they even took it a matress at all, as they have dimension limits.

Cheapest yet, like I mentioned, would still be LTL freight, however. I work in the logistics industry, so I'm informed about this sort of thing.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Relax, x-modz, nowhere did I say that UPS was cheaper. Please check my posting.

I assure you, I spent twenty-five years in the import/export business. Freight is a factor that I am familiar with. CanPar also has dimension restrictions as you should know.

Yes LTL is probably the best option and there are tons of small companies that are prepared to work "off" tariff. TST/Overland (when it was AllTrans) was one of the companies that was reluctant to move from the tariff.

My suggestion to the OP is to approach some of these smaller companies and ask if they would quote a price based on top-fill. Sometimes that may garner a slightly better price.

Bill

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

dtech_electric
Community Member
If it's over 30lbs....UPS will destroy it!

This is not Slander....this is true..(at least in my case). Every single item over 30lbs, that I have shipped or received from UPS has been destroyed in one form or another. There are a million stories of how the Handlers abuse packages...

Insurance is another Joke..! They won't let you insure used items at all.....and if you insure new stuff for anything for over a thousand dollars, the package will be ripped open and inspected for valuables! All my stuff is usually too big to actually steal, and usually doesn't appear to be easily pawn'able. So my items do usually end up getting there.....spilling out of the half ripped open boxes. Call for a claim...and they will tell you to leave the box exactly where the driver set it (usually in the middle of your front door) until somebody can call you in a few days to arrange a visit a few days after that. So after a week you can finally close the front door, but it will still be months before you can actually get the money....And we all know....TIME IS MONEY!

CanPar sounds like a great idea for big items...something I never thought of.....CanadaPost is Great but takes some
thinking to calculate the weighs and restrictions. Greyhound in Canada is Awesome!...Rates that are competitive with CanadaPost and Door to Door service that is faster than ANYONE! Go Dog Go..!

Of course this is all just My opinion....Hehe...You guys may be getting a lot of it...

Darcy
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
Isn't the CanPar USA partner FedEx Ground? x-modz you are saying it's Airborne? I think one day a Canpar rep told me it was FedEx GROUND...
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
The Airborne relationship is apparently over.

My neighbour (who drives short haul between Toronto and Ayr for CanPar) suggests that packages shipped by CanPar from Ontario to the USA may actually be taken to a UPS warehouse/distribution centre in the USA. Wouldn't that be something.

dtech, UPS will accept insurance for all items shipped... they just won't pay for personal effects or for items shipped by individuals. If you are shipping business to business they will honour claims (but its like pulling teeth). UPS also has one of the worst conveyor systems that routinely chews up and spits out packages.

I learned the hard way that you don't ship oversized/odd sized items by UPS. Two years ago I shipped an antique crokinole board to a customer in Kansas. When it got to the other end the bubble wrapped used to protect the wooden board had been melted onto the board leaving a very undesired fish-eye effect. After a little investigation I learned that the UPS conveyor motors run very hot and are positioned at the corners. If an odd-sized/shaped package should get jammed at a corner it would find itself up against those very hot motors (the melted plastic explained).

It took two and a half months to get that claim paid. I never logged my time but I'm guessing I probably had to spend close to six hours on the phone with UPS terminals and the NB claim centre.

Bill

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
treasure: So it's by UPS ... mmmmm interesting!
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

x-modz
Community Member
Aabros:

Last I shipped with CanPar, they were still using Airborne in the USA. I had *excellent* service with them - out of hundreds of *LARGE* items shipped (Bicycle Trailers), I only had 2 damaged, and claims were paid for both by Canpar within a week.

It wouldn't surprise me that they deal with FedEx Ground now however, but I can't immagine that it's anywhere near as fast as Airborne used to be.. Just FedEx "Ground" vs. "Airborne" would seem to indicate a difference.

Canpar is now owned by the same company that owns TST Overland (My employer) - Transforce...

I should probably be more in the know then I am, apparently.. 🙂

Treasure-Pot:

Often going with the "Cheapest" LTL option doesn't pan out to be the "best deal" in the end.

I'll be the first to admit that TST Overland won't be the cheapest LTL option, but I can certainly say that we are one of the premier carriers.

There are cheaper alternatives, sure, but you're unlikely to get the professionalism, guarentees, service, and other perks that a larger company can offer.

That, and it's genuinely a good company..and I've worked for more then my fair share of trucking companies through the years. Employees make far-above-average wages, drive good safe equipment, are treated very well, and have pension and benefit plans that just about anyone else in the industry envies.

Say what you will, but I'd pay a little extra in the end for top-knotch service, along with knowing that I'm dealing with a company where the employees are actually names, not just numbers on a Rolodex. That, and if my freight got damaged, or lost, I would get a resolution, not just an "Oh well" on the phone.

I've worked for companies where the employees were simply a "Butt in the seat", and the boss had the mind-set that for every employee he had, there were "10 More" waiting at the door if need be. It wasn't fun.

I simply won't do business with companies like that, regardless of "Deals" they may offer.

Okay, I'll settle down now.. 🙂

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Of course the other side of the coin may be that larger companies tend to be much more rigid and lack flexibility.

My experience with larger trucking firms goes back to the Maislins and Glengarry's - both relatively large firms that did not survive their largeness.

Smith Transport, Highland, Dominion Consolidated and others also got large and where are they now?

I beg to differ - there are many small companies that offer the "professionalism, guarentees (sic), service, and other perks". Don't sell small companies short... they are often bending over backwards to please their customers because they are small... every customer is important to them. I wonder to what extent most large companies extend this level of "professionalism, guarentees (sic), service, and other perks" to small, infrequent customers.

I think its great that you have such a high opinion of your employer but not every small company out there operates like an Apex or Mowat. The level of service provided by companies like Challenger and BMO have seen them grow considerably in recent years. They don't operate shabby or poorly maintained equipment either. In fact, TST would be hard pressed to stack their equipment up against a BMO for road-worthiness.

x-modz, I am well aware of the principles of purchasing service and that the "cheapest" doesn't equate to the best. Having said that, I'm also aware that sometimes "premium" doesn't equate to better but often has a direct correlation to infrastructure and overhead. "Premium" pricing occasionally has more to do with the encumbrances that come with size.

To bring this whole conversation back to earth though, the OP was looking for suggestions for shipping a mattress to Texas. I don't get the impression that he is looking for a daily scheduled pick-up. This scenario is closer to a one-shot deal. I maintain he would be far ahead looking for a small to moderate size company that would give him a sweet deal for top-load rather than a large company that lacks the flexibility to quote anything but tariff for an infrequent customer. That does not in any way, shape or form run down TST Overland. The observation I am making is that it might not be the best solution for the scenario the OP painted.

Bill

Message 11 of 11
latest reply