Shipping Charges .

b5c5
Community Member

Whats up with the shipping charges from the United States , What a joke !!!!

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Shipping Charges .

marnotom!
Community Member

USPS re-jigged its rates and offerings at the beginning of the year.  The most noticable difference is with very small items.  The difference between the First Class International letter rate and the First Class International package rate for items of the same weight used to be really small.  Now it's considerably larger.  You might be running into this.

You may also be encountering listings where the Global Shipping Program is being used.  While a viable option for larger, more valuable items or ones that are more fraud-prone, it's not so hot for items that are smaller and more modestly valued.

Many U.S. sellers are getting into the GSP without realizing what it looks like for international buyers.  You can tell a GSP listing because there's eBay generated text that says that all your import fees will be taken care of prior to delivery or something to that effect.  There are also info buttons ("?") you can click on for more info.  Use them.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Shipping Charges .

But why are shipping rates for these items automatically rated first class and not economy rates. I had no option to adjust shipping even though I am in absolutely no rush to get my product. I have waited 20 years to find a few things and I can wait a few more days for shipping if it is 1/2 the price. I wanted 10 x 8.5x11 books soft cover from a single seller weighing less than 5 lbs and yet was going to be charged 100$ for shipping 30$ worth of product that is used books??? I don't understand that. I had no choice but to refuse to buy the product.

Still looking for it though...

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Shipping Charges .

@kitenterprises wrote:

But why are shipping rates for these items automatically rated first class and not economy rates. I had no option to adjust shipping even though I am in absolutely no rush to get my product. I have waited 20 years to find a few things and I can wait a few more days for shipping if it is 1/2 the price. I wanted 10 x 8.5x11 books soft cover from a single seller weighing less than 5 lbs and yet was going to be charged 100$ for shipping 30$ worth of product that is used books??? I don't understand that. I had no choice but to refuse to buy the product.

Still looking for it though...

First class is the least expensive way to send a package from the U.S. to Canada. There is no such thing as an international economy option.

Do you happen to have an item number for the listing that you are referring to? That $100 shipping rate doesn't sound right so I wonder if there is a glitch.

As far as not having any option on which service the seller uses to send an item...it is the seller's responsibility to make sure that you receive the item and if it doesn't reach you, then they have to refund you. That's why it is the seller's decision on how to send a package. It's that way in all retail....if you order from Chapters you can't tell them how you want the item sent....its their decsion. But as you said, you are the one who makes the final decision on whether or not to buy from a particular seller.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply