Shipping domestically (Canada to Canada)

Hello my fellow Canadian Ebay Members:

I am new to Ebay and I am looking forward to sell hookah pipes and accessories. I am based in Toronto, Canada.

The package size would be anywhere between 2 lbs to 30 lbs.  

My biggest concern is about shipping.

What shipping method is the best to use for domestic shipment that is from Canada to Canada? I am looking in having tracking number for each shipment so that there is no confusion according to Ebay I believe when dealing with lost packages

Additionally how do I know how much would insurance cost for a product?

I will be offering free shipment since I am a new seller and have no ratings. By offering free shipment, Ebay will award 5 stars for shipping and handling

Since I will be offering free shipping, this will bring me to my next question. How do I know how much shipping will cost since there will be different combinations of what customers might want me to ship.

In another point, I am launching an ecommerce website for selling hookah pipes and accessories this September shipping only to Canada. I am looking to register with a courier company (UPS or Canada Post) to integrate their pricing in my website.

Is it cheaper to use my account with the courier company which I am going to register to or use ebay shipping labels which I read in the help section they offer for discounted prices.

My aim is to build a long term relationship with the courier company so that I can enjoy better rates down the line and have discounts on shipping which I can pass to my customer.

At the moment I am not that much experienced, I would like to stick shipment only to Canada since I believe shipping outside to Canada will result me to fill lots of paperwork’s and also I would not know how much shipping will cost since I do not have a concrete package size for each categories.

Any help/input in the above different topics will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Just so you know, the heaviest parcel you can bring to a Canada Post Postal Outlet for shipment is 30kg.

Shipping in Canada is expensive. No matter if you go with Canada Post, or with a courier. Canada Post will generally be cheaper, couriers will be more expensive but will typically give you a faster service.

To find out a rate for Canada Post, use the following link:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e1s1

You can play around with weights and dimensions and see what costs would be for you. Keep in mind, prices vary by weight, size, and location. All domestic parcels come with a tracking number. All domestic parcels with Canada Post come with $100 insurance included EXCEPT for Regular Parcel. What sellers normally use is Expedited Parcel. This service gets you $100 insurance (with option for additional), and a tracking number. You can print your postage off of Paypal and enjoy a discount of between 13%-18% off most parcel services. Additionally, you could sign up for a small business account with Canada Post (Venture One Program: http://www.canadapost.ca/web/business/ventureone.page ) and save 5% off of counter rates.

If you wanted to create an account with a courier, that would be a lot more work. You would for starters need to be a registered business, and then you would have to call the company and speak with a rep. They will then begin the process of creating an account. Your discount depends on the amount you ship.

In my honest opinion, your best bet is to ship via Canada Post. It would cost much more than it's worth to ship via a courier service. Keep in mind, Canada Post's insurance does not cover glass or ceramics, and as far as I know, most hookah pipes are made out of glass or ceramics.

Put a package together, and bring it to your local post office. Go, get the exact weight, dimensions, and a shipping quote to a sample location. The clerks there would also be able to go into depth about services.

Hope that helps a little. If anythings unclear, feel free to ask.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

If you are in toronto see if chitchat express can help you.  Paypal expedited is slightly cheaper then CP retail.  Certainly possible to get far better rates with CP or elsewhere...if you have volume

There was someone who used to post here a few years back trying to sell hookas and shisha on ebay...briefly

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Look into courier costs.

Since you already have a courier account this may be the best way to go.

The dotCA Sell Your Item form includes the option of UPS shipping, but no other companies. TurboListter, Auctiva  and GarageSale have listing forms that may have other choices.

Or compare your courier with UPS and if they are reasonably close, just pretend you are shipping with UPS and adjust any differences with the Handling Charge.

The Handling /packaging charge does not show as a different line item on your buyer's invoice.

I'm sure you are already aware that the maximum duty-free to the USA is $200. Americans are not used to paying duty on imports and there may be some pushback.

I'm pretty sure your hookahs are not manufactured in a NAFTA country, so duty will apply.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

What shipping method is the best to use for domestic shipment that is from Canada to Canada? I am looking in having tracking number for each shipment so that there is no confusion according to Ebay I believe when dealing with lost packages

You get a discount if you print your labels on PayPal.

https://www.paypal.com/shipnow

You can also print labels for non-eBay transactions, by the way. If you have a US PayPal account, that same link will allow you to print USPS and UPS (US) labels.

If you want tracking, I'd use Expedited Parcel -- it's often cheaper and faster than Regular Parcel, but not as expensive as Xpresspost.

A tracking number won't prevent your item from getting lost, btw. It will only protect you from false "item not received" claims.

For expedited parcel, $100 insurance coverage is included for loss and damage. There are third party insurance companies that insure shipments using Canada Post and they're usually cheaper than Canada Post insurance.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/shipping-insurance.html

http://www.insurepost.com/

http://www.shipsurance.com/online_shipping_insurance_rates.asp

I will be offering free shipment since I am a new seller and have no ratings. By offering free shipment, Ebay will award 5 stars for shipping and handling. Since I will be offering free shipping, this will bring me to my next question. How do I know how much shipping will cost since there will be different combinations of what customers might want me to ship.

Retail (no discount): http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/personal/findARate?execution=e2s1

http://www.canadapost.ca/textonly/tools/pg/prices/default-e.asp

I build in the cost of shipping to the most expensive place I ship to, but this won't work for lower value items IMO.

At the moment I am not that much experienced, I would like to stick shipment only to Canada since I believe shipping outside to Canada will result me to fill lots of paperwork’s and also I would not know how much shipping will cost since I do not have a concrete package size for each categories.

When you sell an item on eBay.ca, go to your Sold items and you'll see "Print shipping label". You'll be redirected to PayPal and all the necessary info is filled up for you.

For international transactions, the only other thing you need to do is sign the customs label generated by PayPal after you've printed it.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

@hookahstore123 wrote:

Hello my fellow Canadian Ebay Members:

I am new to Ebay and I am looking forward to sell hookah pipes and accessories. I am based in Toronto, Canada.

The package size would be anywhere between 2 lbs to 30 lbs.  

My biggest concern is about shipping.

It shouldn't be. Shipping is easy as long as you have the materials and a procedure

Lost packages doe not happen hardly at all. I deal with one out of a thousand. Where should you focus, on the one, or the other 999? Tracking, in Canada comes with Expedited.

Insurance is a waste of money. The first $100 is free with Expedited anyway.

I will be offering free shipment since I am a new seller and have no ratings. By offering free shipment, Ebay will award 5 stars for shipping and handling

Worrying about stars is out of your control. Concern yourself about service.

Since I will be offering free shipping, this will bring me to my next question. How do I know how much shipping will cost since there will be different combinations of what customers might want me to ship.

You don't know as rates are based on distance, Eastern VS Western Canada, how many time sit is handled. I use "best guess".

In another point, I am launching an ecommerce website for selling hookah pipes and accessories this September shipping only to Canada. I am looking to register with a courier company (UPS or Canada Post) to integrate their pricing in my website.

Canada is 5% of my sales. World is 5%. The USA is 90%. You do the math. What you "think" you will do, and what you will end up doing, is two different things.

Is it cheaper to use my account with the courier company which I am going to register to or use ebay shipping labels which I read in the help section they offer for discounted prices.

For places off the main highway, couriers hand-off to Canada Post anyway. Purolater is owned by CP.

My aim is to build a long term relationship with the courier company so that I can enjoy better rates down the line and have discounts on shipping which I can pass to my customer.

That is great, but the customer is not your competitor. Be mindful of what the competition is doing on pricing, service, etc.

At the moment I am not that much experienced, I would like to stick shipment only to Canada since I believe shipping outside to Canada will result me to fill lots of paperwork’s and also I would not know how much shipping will cost since I do not have a concrete package size for each categories.

I have never had any paperwork at all. None. International rates are far simpler than domestic rates.

Any help/input in the above different topics will be greatly appreciated

I "think" you are trying to hard to figure out everything ahead of time. Good luck with that. There is a few hundred years of experience posting on these boards and we are constantly learning, updating, getting caught in something. Focus on selling.

Thank you

Photobucket
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Focus on selling.

You're right Inuk.

Newbie may stress themselves out too much on the "What Ifs." right now.

OP seems to be on the right track though & I'm sure they will be back with any concerns.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply