Shopping cart and combined shipping invoice.

I just got this message from a buyer, and I am not sure of the answer.  I hope someone can help.

"Hi, I have all my items in
my Shopping Cart, but if I proceed Ebay sends me directly to Pay Pal and i
don't believe from there I can request an invoice. Are you able to see my
Shopping Cart? I tried to copy the Shopping Cart for this message but it will
not;;;;;please let me know how I can proceed."

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Hi triber, I got two buyers message me the same thing as you got.

I guess there is new thing happening in ebay.com right now that force buyer to do IPR.

These buyers who inqury me has more than 100 feedback, I doubt they don't know how to buy multiple purchase without using chart.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Or ebay force them to use chart.

Whit chart, combine shipping won't work unless seller specify the discount rule for combine shipping.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Hi triber -- I've had this same issue recently with multiple purchases from US buyers.  I believe the problem is that the "Request Total from Seller" option is no longer available during checkout, because you either pay for your cart or you don't.  EBay.ca and .com used to be quite seamless in this regard, but not anymore. 😞

I eventually asked my US buyer to proceed through to checkout and I refunded the excess shipping on the combined order.  It wasn't an ideal solution, since I paid FVF on the original shipping total.

One point though: you may, just maybe, be able to see the selected items in your "Sold" items list, and if you choose "Send Invoice" from the drop-down menu on one of the items, you should be able to combine them on one invoice from your end.  I just did this today for a multiple US purchase and it worked fine.  However, I can't tell you what the US buyer did or saw at her end with respect to the shopping cart, and these were all BIN items, which may make a difference. 

I think next time I'll call eBay when this occurs and see what they suggest.  You might want to try that. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

..."next time I'll call eBay when this occurs and see what they suggest."

This would be a great question for the Wednesday 1:00pm "Board Hour" with eBay.ca staffers and managers.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Found this in ebay.com discussion boards.

Looks like these the issue:

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/Checkout/Requesting-A-Totalinvoice/5200147166

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

..."next time I'll call eBay when this occurs and see what they suggest."

This would be a great question for the Wednesday 1:00pm "Board Hour" with eBay.ca staffers and managers.

I may be away on Wednesday during the Board Hour.  Would you be willing to ask this? 

I have no idea how my US buyer today managed to choose 4 items (presumably using shopping cart) without paying, which then showed up on my "Sold" list, enabling me to send a combined invoice.  This didn't work for a previous US buyer I dealt with. 

I have set automatic discount rules for combined shipping, but this doesn't seem to have shown up in this case because the buyer hadn't yet paid. 

The whole thing is very mysterious.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

"I have no idea how my US buyer today managed to choose 4 items (presumably using shopping cart) without paying, which then showed up on my "Sold" list, enabling me to send a combined invoice. "

That is normal IF the buyer does not use the Shopping Cart.

The buyer clicks on "Buy it Now" on four items over a period of time. You should have received an email from eBay confirming each purchase.  The items show up in your sold list.  You have the ability to send a combined invoice.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

"Would you be willing to ask this? "

I'll try to remember if I am around early Wednesday afternoon.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I called eBay, and they asked me to hold while they found out. The rep then came back and told me that the buyer has to go to their "cart", and at the top of the page they can click on

“request total from seller”. Then I should have the option to send them the combined shipping invoice.

I have told my buyer, but I haven't heard back yet, so I don't know if it works.

The rep told me it was because I have "immediate payment" requested. I told him that I had never had that on any of my listings because I get a lot of multiple sales.

I will be interested to know if that option is actually there, I have never used the cart, so I haven't seen the page.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I called eBay, and they asked me to hold while they found out. The rep then came back and told me that the buyer has to go to their "cart", and at the top of the page they can click on

“request total from seller”.

Aha!  I'd be very interested if you'd post a follow-up here.  One of my US buyers couldn't find the "Request Total from Buyer" line -- perhaps they've moved its location?

I'll look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

That is normal IF the buyer does not use the Shopping Cart.

But I thought the shopping cart was automatic on all BIN purchases made on eBay.com?  Are you saying it's possible to "Commit to Buy" without the item going into a cart?  Maybe I had a very savvy buyer who understood the workaround. 

I must say I'm totally perplexed about this.  It seems to me we currently have two very different systems between .com and .ca that don't mesh terribly well much of the time. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

"But I thought the shopping cart was automatic on all BIN purchases made on eBay.com? "

No.

Some buyers use it, most do not.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

" It seems to me we currently have two very different systems between .com and .ca"

That is correct.

eBay.com offers a Shopping Cart for buyers while eBay.ca does not and I do not expect eBay.ca to offer one any time soon. The dual currencies used on eBay.ca prove to be very challenging for a shopping cart!

I remember ten years ago when sellers were begging eBay to have a Shopping Cart.  eBay.com created eBay Express with a shopping cart.  It lasted a few years and was a great disappointment.

Then the Shopping Cart was revived a few years ago on eBay.com.

Somehow, management now seems to want to push it, to force buyers to use it.

Many sellers who wanted a Shopping Cart ten years ago are now rethinking their position due to the well known "Cart Abandonment" problem.

http://www.emarketer.com/Article/Retailers-Rethink-Shopping-Cart-Abandonment/1009645 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I just received this from my buyer

There is NO symbol by the Shopping Cart....and I searched all over the Shopping Cart Page...I am quite Computer literate so I don't think it is me....When I go to the next step to Pay all i can do is leave a Message for you in the Box before they send me to Pay Pal, and I know once I am at Pay Pal they won't give me a chance to contact you. So, I wrote them a letter on your behalf as a Seller, and for us Buyers, from the Shopping Cart Page and to Customer Support.....it is Not Fair to you Sellers or us Buyers for them to make it difficult and I know they are taking a cut of the Shipping Fees from you which stinks too. So, hang in there and we can get this resolved. They used to let us change the shipping on the invoice pages, but No more, and that worked well when the Sellers gave us a Shipping Quote ahead of time"

I am going to tell her to call eBay and see if that helps.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply