USA and International Shipping via DHL Global Mail - insanely low rates

I do lot of imports with DHL Express and they solicited me up and approached with interesting offer that trumps CanadaPost hands down, so I think those of you who do not have access to other 3rd party shippers and are at mercy of CanadaPost may find this interesting. Not sure how new DHL GM is in Canada, because they do not even have Canada website yet, so they may be just starting up here. Also keep in mind that DHL Express is different business entity as DHL GlobalMail although you may be able to inquire from former about the latter.

DHL GM prices may be individualized and my samples are from their Mississauga location in CAD.

To USA they offer Parcel Direct Standard ($2.63 for 1oz, 4.38 for 1lb) and Parcel Direct Expedited ($2.66 for 1oz, $4.94 for 1lb). Shipments to USA are delivered by DHL GM to USPS hub closest to recipient and delivery is performed by USPS.

Internationally rates vary, for example Globalmail Business Standard at 0.06kg/1lb - $0.64/$7.23 to Russia through $1.10/$6.11 to UK, $1.37/$8.17 to AU, etc.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Do they have office in downtown Toronto?

I know there is a lot of DHL express here, should I contact them to inquire DHL GM?

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Sorry, I don't know much, asked how they got my number and he said from his buddy at DHL Ex.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I used DHL Global Mail for a few years in between my DIY system through USPS and before ChitChat started up.

In the beginning it was a pretty good service but they started to introduce minimum billing amounts that I simply could not meet. The US service, Standard Mail, is a bit slow, maybe as fast as using Canada Post but definitely slower than using USPS (via ChitChat) First Class or Priority (it is cheap however).

On the International side, it was not so good, definitely not as good as the International service available through ChitChat, neither in price or delivery speed. The one advantage over ChitChat is the allowable package size/weight is more flexible and they do offer an upgraded service with some form of tracking (I never used it so can't comment on price or service).

If you have substantial volume you may be able to negotiate some good rates from DHL.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

If I remember correctly....

DHL started big in Canada... many years ago..

and then cut back... apparently they could not compete...within Canada.

but seemed to do well elsewhere....

The emphasis on their website... DHL Canada ....  appears to be international shipping

More at a previous discussion here...

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/Be-careful-Seller-ships-with-DHL-Huge-costs-at-Canadian-Cu...

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

An interesting history of DHL... worldwide and in Canada.

http://www.cbj.ca/dhl_express_canada/

I get he impression DHL was bigger in Canada at some time in the past.... more trucks, and more visibility....But today it shows up "periodically"

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

The problem with DHL is the price quoted and invoiced dont always matched, you have to watch them all the time and then it's the hassle of getting your money back. On my last invoice for Christmas shipping I was charged on my credit card between $58.00 and $68.00 for each shipments, when I was originally quoted $28.00 online. I have dispute those charges and no one is contacting me.  Good luck! Christine

Message 7 of 7
latest reply