VERY dangerous spoof PayPal email

coastwindchimes
Community Member
Hi all,
I've had a ton of spoof emails pertaining to be from eBay or PayPal, and most if not all have been pretty clearly spoof. Well, a couple of days ago I got one that was almost good enough to fool me~ dangerously good, I would say. Until just now, when I at last heard back from PayPal, I was not certain if this one was real or not, but if I had had to bet, I would have bet it was legit.

Get this: it had my full name and it had a real message that I sometimes send to customers~ my actual message! It said that it was from PayPal, and a customer had canceled a payment request. The only thing that raised my suspicion was that the place where it was suppose to be a message from my customer was my message~ but I just figured she had not errased my message. And then the link back to PayPal, while starting with https, looked not quite right.

But I have to say, despite being acutely aware of all the garbage emails trying to scam passwords, this one very nearly got me. So watch out. Tim.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

shoplineca
Community Member
The last one that I recd from PayPal that was different from the rest (I have already received 2 today frm PP and 2 from eBay) said a cutomer paid me $914 for a laptop computer.

I wasnt selling a laptop but it called for me to click on the link which of course would take me to an unsecure place to enter all my personal data assuming I was curious and wanted to see who paid me and confirm that the money was in my PP account.

Malcolm
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

coastwindchimes
Community Member
Yes, I get a bunch like that, but have never had one with my full name, and even a real message that I actually wrote to some customer~ that's scary. It is also strange that PayPal took over two days to confirm that it was a spoof~ in my experience, they usually confirm within minutes or hours, at the longest. Tim.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

auctiondropnship
Community Member
Give you a tip

If a bidder asks for your address when an auction is going with your name ...Do not give it out

Todd
Auction Drop N Ship
Drop It, Sell It, Ship It

Canada's Ebay Drop Off Store
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

mkahiel
Community Member
eBay tool bar catches all these emails and fake sites. It is not just a menu.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply