Why does ebay allow seller(s) to ask rediculous charges for mailing an item There is one sellers asking $ 57.00 for mailing a postage stamp

stampsfriesland
Community Member

Typical eBay. Ask a question and then are told to ask your question again. Does eBay not understand English or is it that they do not comprehend  what the question is all about. ?  If eBay does not intend to give an answer , simply dont make us fill in these type of forms to begin with.  If 1 + 1 = 3  then perhaps eBay is right and we were wrong all along.

Regards  and good luck eBay ,

Leona in Kelowna.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Why does ebay allow seller(s) to ask rediculous charges for mailing an item There is one sellers asking $ 57.00 for mailing a postage stamp

Depends on where he is, where you are and what service he feels he requires.

If I were selling a Unitrade #3  I might want to use something more secure (and expensive) than lettermail.

OR it could be a typo. I had a shipping fee of $999.00 once when I missed a decimal. A nice person notified me.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Re: Why does ebay allow seller(s) to ask rediculous charges for mailing an item There is one sellers asking $ 57.00 for mailing a postage stamp

Hello Leona,

If a collector seeks a certain postage stamp and the shipping fee is $57, it may be that it is a valuable stamp.  Thus, it is probably shipped by expensive courier, insured, signed-for, all that.  You did not post an item number so it is difficult to tell at this point.

When you see an item you like but the fee is exceptionally high, say, by courier or Priority on a cheap little item, - unless the listing states that the seller ships no other way, you can always ask about cheaper services.  Coming from the US the favourite is First Class International, but there are size/weight restrictions so larger and expensive items come Priority.

Cost is usually associated with how the item is shipped.  An item might fit in an envelope but if it is very valuable a seller is not going to just lick a stamp and pop it in a mail box.

It has nothing to do with ebay per se.  Sellers choose how to ship an item and list the costs for that service.  Depending on the item and the seller, - and of course, your attitude toward the seller, - you may be able to negotiate it down, often considerably.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

What's the value of the stamp.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Interesting question- I was sending some money to South Africa and priority worldwide for just a letter envelope was going to be around $100!!  for that price I could have bought it a plane ticket.  If something is that valuable it is possible that the shipping rate could be that high.  The range for Canada to other countries starts at $66.16 and goes to $126.  Ridiculous if you ask me...!!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
If you think the shipping cost is too high,you always have the choice of not bidding on or buying the item. I agree that without the listing number we can't see if the high shipping cost mentioned by you is truly out of line or not.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Here's an example of a seller who is charging for First Class International

However, I suspect he will actually be sending the stamp with a higher level of security than the S&H implies.

(No one is selling a Unitrade/Scott #3 at the moment. The Twelvepenny Black, for those of you who are not instantly familiar with every stamp of Canada, sells for around $120, 000 Cdn. )

Message 7 of 7
latest reply