are there any other Canadian buyers out there who have recently had experience with this new Global Shipping Program?

timakire
Community Member

i was none too happy to discover that "import charges" of almost 50% of the purchases prices of 2 items i bought yesterday were automatically added onto my invoices when i went to Paypal.

i cannot find anything in announcements to explain this new charge and the US sellers i was dealing with seem to be in the dark about it too. 

we all know that we may have to pay duties, etc. to Canada Revenue on international purchases but i'm very opposed to having these automatically added to every purchase - especially when you don't even find out they are being charged of the amount of the charges until after you have already committed to buying an item.

i'm hoping someone can fill me in on when this started, the logic behind it, and if there is a way around it - i would much prefer to only pay duties that CRA imposes at delivery not have 50% added to every purchase.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

are there any other Canadian buyers out there who have recently had experience with this new Global Shipping Program?

Hi timakire.. Ebay has a new Global Shipping Program with US sellers signing on. Customs charges are paid at checkout . Seller ships to a depot and Pitney Bowes assigns/pays CRA and reships package to buyer.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/globalshippingprogram/faq.html

When looking at listings if a seller is using this program..in first section under shipping cost , will see..import charges..to be provided at checkout.

And yes, sellers signing on  have no clue how buyers are impacted.However, seller has no control over this process and is not receiving anything other than their portion of the stated shipping cost.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Hi timakire.. Ebay has a new Global Shipping Program with US sellers signing on. Customs charges are paid at checkout . Seller ships to a depot and Pitney Bowes assigns/pays CRA and reships package to buyer.

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/shipping/globalshippingprogram/faq.html

When looking at listings if a seller is using this program..in first section under shipping cost , will see..import charges..to be provided at checkout.

And yes, sellers signing on  have no clue how buyers are impacted.However, seller has no control over this process and is not receiving anything other than their portion of the stated shipping cost.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I have had the same experience I paid 50% import dutieson the value of the object  in buying through Global shipping program. Never have paid more than 26% when I paid duties at my door. This is unacceptable and I will avoid such deals in the future.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply