is an ebay store worth the 20 bucks

I am from Canada and have bought things on ebay for years. I have recently though about selling on ebay, but not sure if it's worth it or not?  especially when shipping from Canada to the US.... Would anyone be so kind to share there. Canadian ebay experience?  

Enjoy your day!

Tracy

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Hi Tracy.

I do not see any current or recent listings for you.

When do you plan to start and how many listings do you expect to list every month? 

What value on average per listing? 

What category? (the value of a store depends largely on the category and volume)

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

actually the price just went up to 25.00 and you need to sell a lot of items to make it worthwhile not too sure if im going to get rid of the store or not? guess it depends on first of all do you have a lot of things to sell thats the deal breaker,if you can sell 500.00 a month its a good deal but if you only have a dozen sales at 10.00 each not a way too go.hope that helps a bit

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Probably not any time soon, as being a new seller you'll be restricted on how much you can sell.  Unless you are going to sell electronics in the 4% fee categories, where the 6% difference doesn't take much to cover the store fee.  Huge number of people start to sell things, never sell much of anything and quit, so might as well start listing and see how it goes.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Probably not any time soon, as being a new seller you'll be restricted on how much you can sell.  Unless you are going to sell electronics in the 4% fee categories, where the 6% difference doesn't take much to cover the store fee.  Huge number of people start to sell things, never sell much of anything and quit, so might as well start listing and see how it goes.

Toby is spot on. I was selling for 2-3 years, a loooooong time ago, before I opened my store. I had good business and good idea of what was going on. I have had a store for around ten years now.

What do you sell?

Photobucket
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@abayomiabys wrote:

I am from Canada and have bought things on ebay for years. I have recently though about selling on ebay, but not sure if it's worth it or not?  especially when shipping from Canada to the US.... Would anyone be so kind to share there. Canadian ebay experience? 

You don't need a store to start. I've been selling on eBay for 12 years, and I'm only now considering paying for a store.

You get 50 free listings per month without a store on eBay.CA (listing in Cdn$) plus 50 free listings on eBay.COM (listing in US$). Just make sure to avoid 1 and 3 day listings (those have extra fees).  The basic store includes 250 free listings per month plus 250 auction listings in some categories.

A store has discounted Final-Value-Fees (FVF) of 4% to 9% (depending on category) versus 10% for non-store.

Selling Basics

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/selling-basics.html

Non-store fees

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/fees.html

eBay Store fees

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/storefees.html

-..-

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I have never sold anything, just bought. Have lots of folkmanis puppets to sell. Not really looking to make an living, just a little extra each month. Probably sell them between $5 and $100 as many are rare. 

My biggest concern is shipping?  How do people find shipping from Canada into the US?  Don't most people purchase from the .com site and not the .ca? Can someone in Canada list on the .com?

wow... THANK YOU for the many relays!!  I really appreciate those who took the time to respond.  

Tracy

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Don't bother with a Store just yet.

How do people find shipping from Canada into the US?

This is less of a problem than you may think. Your smart buyers will look a the total cost and either buy or not.

We do pay more for shipping than our American competitors.

• If you are in the Toronto area, you might look into ChitChat Express after you have settled in to a selling rythym.

Canada Post is the most efficient way of shipping.

You will probably want to use a Delivery Confirmed service, but all CPOs parcel services are Delivery Confirmed/tracked.

Fixed Price listings are more popular than auctions.

If you do decide to do auctions, your starting price should be an amount that you would be content to sell for.

Calculated Shipping tells your customer exactly what she will pay for delivery to her doorstep. Choose ONE service that makes YOU feel secure about shipping.

• The customer who asks you to reduce your shipping price is not a nice person.
  • There's a lot to be said for Free Shipping, but I don't think it will be appropriate for your puppets.

You have 80 keystrokes FREE in your titles. This is your best advertising tool. And its FREE.

Look at your listing on a smartphone.

Revise until it tells you the important information clearly. (what it is, what it looks like, how much it costs, shipping fee).

Those puppets are well into 'squeee!" territory.

http://www.folkmanis.com/17/home.htm

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

I typically only have about 200-300 listings, and while the FVF discount is nice, the main reason for doing so was to be able to put the Store on vacation whist away on vacation.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

A Store is an easy way for a potential buyer to find your inventory.

Without a store... your inventory is everywhere on eBay.

With a store you organize your inventory.... and people can find you very easily.

Stores work best with lots of inventory,...  and more so if your store is branded with a specific category.

eBay is big with a lot of inventory....  a store makes it easy for a buyer to find you.

At first the buyer looks everywhere... and then they find your store.

There is nothing preventing you from opening a store for one month ... so that you can go on vacation

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@abayomiabys wrote:

Enjoy your day!

Tracy

If you are low volume with high priced items - NO!

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Don't bother with a Store just yet.

How do people find shipping from Canada into the US?

This is less of a problem than you may think. Your smart buyers will look a the total cost and either buy or not.

We do pay more for shipping than our American competitors.

• If you are in the Toronto area, you might look into ChitChat Express after you have settled in to a selling rythym.

Canada Post is the most efficient way of shipping.

You will probably want to use a Delivery Confirmed service, but all CPOs parcel services are Delivery Confirmed/tracked.

Fixed Price listings are more popular than auctions.

If you do decide to do auctions, your starting price should be an amount that you would be content to sell for.

Calculated Shipping tells your customer exactly what she will pay for delivery to her doorstep. Choose ONE service that makes YOU feel secure about shipping.

• The customer who asks you to reduce your shipping price is not a nice person.
  • There's a lot to be said for Free Shipping, but I don't think it will be appropriate for your puppets.

You have 80 keystrokes FREE in your titles. This is your best advertising tool. And its FREE.

Look at your listing on a smartphone.

Revise until it tells you the important information clearly. (what it is, what it looks like, how much it costs, shipping fee).

Those puppets are well into 'squeee!" territory.

http://www.folkmanis.com/17/home.htm

Some good advice but just one correction.....CP parcel services within Canada have delivery confirmation but there are parcel services to the U.S. And overseas that do not have it.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2016

The problem with zombie threads is that the information in them may be out of date or incorrect.

@happy_pigeon

@ohmygoodsca

Message 13 of 13
latest reply