marked as shipped

does any one know wht sellers are allowed to mark an item as being shipped when they have only created a shipping label?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: marked as shipped

How would  you know the seller has only printed a shipping label??!  That's a strange comment.  When an item is shipped the yellow ship sign is shown in your Purchase History....but I hear some sellers forget to do this.   I haven't had that experience and also I get a msge from ebay and paypal confirming it's shipped.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

What is your real problem?

The seller marked something as shipped but it has not yet arrived?

It takes about 10-15 days for arrival from Europe.

It takes about 15-20 days for arrival from North America.

It takes about 30 days for arrival from Asia.

If more time than that has passed , first ask the seller for the date of shipping and the service used. Do not allow the seller to 'ship a replacement'. This is a common scam with Asian sellers. It won't arrive either.

If you don't have a satisfactory answer, go here:

http://resolutioncentre.ebay.ca/

and file an Item Not Recieved dispute.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

As soon as a shipping label is printed through ebay or paypal the item is automatically marked as being shipped. The seller has no control over that.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Hmm, interesting, I learn something new on here all the time!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

They do this probably for a bit of nice automation for the seller.  In my experience it's not caused any trouble at all.  You've paid for the shipping label, there's no reason NOT to use it on a parcel and ship it out immediately, within the stated time frame for shipping or ASAP.  That's what I do and it appears my sellers are doing the same.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

when the seller makes an electronic shipping label they mark it as shipped when in reality it hasn't even been shipped  I think this is wrong and misleading

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

it should not be marked as being shipped when the seller has only made an electronic shipping label and has not realy shipped the item I think this is misleading and wrong it should only be marked as shipped when it has been taken to or picked up by the shipper!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

a shipping label does not mean item has been shipped this is misleading and should not be allowed on ebay if your going to advertise fast shipping wel do it  don't use the system to lie  for you

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

when you try to track an item it tell you item has not been received at the shipper but an electronic shipping label has been created sometimes it takes 2 to 3 days before the shipper receives the item this is my problem ebay and paypal allow this misleading information which I think is wrong marking an item as being shipped when it has not

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

This is why I keep telling buyers that tracking does them no good at all.

Tracking benefits the seller, who can use it to prove that a complaining buyer really has recieved his item and should not get a refund.

All it does for the buyer is cause emotional upset and drama.

Give the item time to arrive. If it doesn't arrive by Day 30, ask the seller the date of shipping and the service used. If he doesn't have a satisfactory response, file the Item Not Recieved dispute before Day 42 and get your money refunded.

Meanwhile, get out of the house and enjoy the faint beginnings of spring.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hello 'bigted99',

The problem is not the shipping labels, - the problem is not understanding the procedure.

As PJ tells you, once you place your order and the seller processes it, the seller prints off a mailing label. 

"As soon as a shipping label is printed ... the item is automatically marked as being shipped."

"Shipped", here, is not misleading.  The item is on its way.  If you personally feel there should be

no indication until you are able to see that it is half way to your house, that is your misunderstanding,

not anything misleading about the system.

Think of the sellers who must send out hundreds or even thousands if items per day.  Your order

comes in, they wrap it, slap the label on, toss it into a bin to move out with the other orders.  It is simply

not possible for that seller to scrutinize each and every order to know when yours will in fact have hit

the mailbox.  There may be many people handling it along the way before it leaves the shop.

Ebay has the system set up this way.  Even a small vendor who only sells a few items per month can

be assumed to have processed the order once the label is printed.  At the very least it tells you the seller

is serious about getting the item to you.

Once you know how to use the shipping-tracking information privided to you, you will find it very useful

indeed.

Sure, it's too bad that all sellers do not have the option to switch that on or off, - so that the major sellers

can have it on, and the small ones can mark your item shipped later in the week when they send that

friendly little note to tell you it's finally in the mailbox.

But that option is not yet available, - most likely because too many sellers, big and small, were not using

it at all and that causes far more problems than the present form.

The existence of a label means the seller fully intends to send it to you.

After all, as 'hocotate' states, when a seller has paid for and printed the label, "there's no reason NOT to use it on a parcel."

From there, you only need to know how to read the information.  If your items has not yet been checked into

a postal outlet, the tracking tells you 'electronic shipping info received'.

What that means in English is that the label has been printed.  What's the difference if a little brown envelope icon

has or has not been highlighted?

Once the item enters the postal system, the tracking information will show it.  This enables you to know if

a seller mails your item in a reasonable length of time, or retains your item for 3 weeks.

Even if a seller keeps the item back for 3 weeks (mistakenly thinking he needs to wait out that 21-day hold)

when the item does finally get into the mail stream, you will know it is on its way.  Similarly, if you paid

immediately (not an e-cheque) and the seller hasn't mailed it for over a week, you may feel justified in asking

the seller where it is.

In either case, the availability of this information greatly reduces false 'not received' claims.  A buyer who

knows his item has been delayed but is finally on its way will feel greatly relieved and be more willing to

wait for its arrival rather than blindly react with a claim.

Your item will be 'checked in' at various points along the way, and even if it is held up in Customs for a

few days, the tracking info will tell you this.  All you have to do is click on the number provided.

It will even tell you if a signature is required, in case you need to have someone available to sign

for the parcel in your absence.

If clicking the number doesn't seem to work, any genuine tracking number will certainly register here

when the item enters the country:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/track/personal/findByTrackNumber?execution=e1s1

There is nothing misleading about the system.  The item is being sent to you, and the best way for ebay

to let you know this is to indicate it once your address label is printed.

A major seller will have slapped it on your package right away.  A small seller will fiddle around with

scizzors and glue a bit first.

Like people who lose money because they don't know how to file for refunds, when you know how to interpret

the tracking information you are given you will see that it is extremely handy to have at any stage of the delivery.

What causes 'emotional upset' is not the existence of the tracking sytem, but rather the buyers' not

knowing how to read it.

No system of any kind will be beneficial to its users if they do not understand it.  That lack of comprehension

on the part of some users does not equate with a lack of utility of the system for those who do.

Just like filing for refunds, -- know how the thing works so you can get the most out of it.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply