scam - They sold me a fake watch

I have been trying to get my money back from  for the fake vintage Breitling they sold me.

The seller is very rude and even after I have shown the watch to various jewelery stores who have comfirmed the watch is a fake, the seller says that the Breitling dealer is "Ignorant".

Don't buy anything from this ebay seller, he will stall the delivery and then send you a fake.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: scam - They sold me a fake watch

Have you filed an Item Not As Described dispute with eBay/Paypal?

Include the rude emails in the text of the Dispute.

You have only 45 days to do this.

You may be required to return the watch with Tracking. This can be expensive. PP will not refund, generally, without proof that the seller has the item back. You will not be refunded the return shipping cost.

You have 60 days to leave feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. At the same time you will be asked to leave Detailed Seller Ratings. The normal rating for a normal transaction is Five Stars. The lowest rating is ONE star.

You don't have to prove anything about the watch, you just have to return it. And for the record, if you did not get a written appraisal from your experts, which would be a paid service, your claim would not hold up in court. The eBay Dispute service is cheaper, faster and more likely to result in a refund.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

What do you mean "You don't need to prove anything about the watch"? Doesn't Ebay require that you provide some measure of proof that you did not receive the item as described?

If not,  then doesn't this effectively mean that anyone can return for full refund anything as long as they claim item is not as described within 45 days of purchase, and then return it with tracking to the seller?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

<< Doesn't Ebay require that you provide some measure of proof that you did not receive the item as described? >>

No.

How can ebay demand proof?  Moreover, who would sort out all the tiddly discrepancies about what is

or is not "significantly not as described", . . .  and at what cost?

All ebay can pragmatically do is offer general guidelines in a "one size fits all" format.  Think about it, -

if a seller lists a cardigan as "emerald green", and the purchaser insists it is "lime green", -

why would ebay get involved?

As long as the item is returned in the same condition the buyer received it, - that's about all ebay can ask

of users.

Thus, it is very important for sellers to be as accurate as possible describing their items, particulary when

pointing out any irregularities, defects or damage.

You can see from the following link that ebay simply tells buyers to mail the item back at their own

expense if they are not happy.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

In sending an item back, the buyer loses a shipping fee, - and Delivery Confirmed mail services are

expensive.  No one will mail something back unless it was expensive to begin with and quite unsuitable

when it arrives.

People shop on ebay because they want to have certain items, not because they want to mail items back.

In ebay's words:

PayPal will generally require the buyer to ship an item that the buyer claims is Significantly Not as Described

back to the Seller (at the buyer's expense), and PayPal will generally require a Seller to accept the item back

and refund the buyer the full purchase price plus original shipping costs.

Ebay simply cannot waste resources quibbling over definitions of "significant".  So basically, if an agreement

cannot be reached between seller and buyer, buyer can return the item at his/her own expense.  The cost of

doing so, however, usually makes the practice prohibitive.

<<doesn't this effectively mean that anyone can return for full refund anything as long as they claim item is not as described>>

Yes.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Ok thanks :). It does make sense, I just wasn't sure what to do if the seller says "Sorry, my return policy is 7 days, it is now day 8, you are out of luck."

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Ebay will force you to return the fake at your own expense.

You will have no item and be out return shipping, thereby suffering a net loss for this transaction.

This is the ebay rules !

It would appear they are enabling thugs to sell counterfeit items.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

If not,  then doesn't this effectively mean that anyone can return for full refund anything as long as they claim item is not as described within 45 days of purchase, and then return it with tracking to the seller?

Yes.

Welcome to retail.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I know retail is like this, but I didn't know Ebay's policy could override vendor return policies.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I called and filed a fraud complaint with eBay about . Unfortunately a few months past before I found out that the watch was a fake and it past the eBay timeframe for a standard dispute.
eBay assured me that they would be conducting an internal investigation against .
I am really not happy that a fraud can not be handled with more seriousness by eBay. This makes me loose faith in the entire buyer protection policy.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Hello 'bondjames',

<<This makes me loose faith in the entire buyer protection policy.>>

Oh no, a loss of faith would be a terrible thing. Smiley Happy  Well, you phoned in your complaint so at this point

there is not much more you can do.

Ebay is not going to do anything more for you about it.  That promise to "investigate" is just patting your head

and saying "There, there".  It would be beastly expensive for ebay to conduct any type of inquiry, particularly

with a vendor who has all that positive feedback.  Ebay is not going to hassle an ostensibly good seller on your

say-so.

Is there any chance your payment came from a credit card?  If so, you could try calling the 1-800 number

on the back of the card and inquire about the card company's consumer protection plan.  You would be

required to mail it back at your own expense using a Delivery Confirmed service. 

If this is an option, have all the transaction details and card statement in front of you when you place the call.

Life is full of learning experiences and these are rarely ever fun and often uncomfortably expensive.

In future you must be very careful when choosing a vendor.  I must say, to spend $2,000 on a watch from

Mexico, -- gosh, you're a lot more courageous than me.

Now that you know about timelines and deadlines, in future always have your item authenticated the second

you get it in your hands. 

Does the watch work?  If it keeps good time, your only consolation may be that the transaction has not been

a total loss.  Sure, you know it's a fake, but all those people you want to impress with your "Breitling" will not.

(That is, after all, why you bought that thing.  If you simply wanted to know at any given moment roughly what

time it is, you could have found a far less expensive piece to suit the purpose.)

Best wishes 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

"You can see from the following link that ebay simply tells buyers to mail the item back at their own

expense if they are not happy.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html"

???

I did not read that.  Not sure where you find "if they are not happy".

The policy deals with "goods not as described" and then gives you specific deadlines to meet.

If you failed to meet those deadlines, you may be more successful with your credit card issuer and a chargeback.  However, here again, there is no "if the buyer is not happy" refund policy.  This is not WalMart or The Bay..

Your credit card issuer may require you provide evidence (from one or more experts) the watch is not genuine.

For those of us not familiar with the transaction, what was the eBay listing number?

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

<< ??? >>

That's really one of your favourites, isn't it. Smiley Happy

I was not quoting the ebay page, -- I provided the link so that the reader could get the official ebay

version for himself.  Nowhere did I say, 'note where it says, "....".

<<The policy deals with "goods not as described" >>

Right.  And if a person is unhappy with the purchase it is as easy as filing a Not as Described claim,

and ebay/paypal is not going to say, "Really?  How so?  Prove it."

<<and then gives you specific deadlines to meet.>>

Yes, I know that, -- and it is a point that was made abundantly clear earlier in the thread.

<<  However, here again, there is no "if the buyer is not happy" refund policy.>>

Not officially, of course not!  I assume the reader to whom I was speaking has sufficient intelligence

to sort that much out for himself.

He whose inquiry I was addressing was wondering "doesn't this effectively mean that anyone can return

for full refund anything as long as they claim item is not as described within 45 days of purchase"

and if you have read the entire thread you will see that the answer is "Yes".  It may not be Walmart, but it

is still retail.

Bored, are we?

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

???

"in reply to blue_wister"

My post was clearly NOT addressed to you.  Not sure why you feel it was.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

<<My post was clearly NOT addressed to you.  Not sure why you feel it was.>>

Because the portion you quoted was copied directy from my reply to another user. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply