why do most U S ebay retailers do not ship to canada

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

oskye
Community Member

I have found many often will ship up here if you ask nicely.  🙂

From what I`ve seen and been told, many do not offer it because they have gotten tired of complaints from buyers about the costs; are worried the buyers will refuse to pay the costs; think they might get stuck paying any duties or taxes, etc.  

But the main reason is they don`t understand it. If they`ve never mailed to a foreign land (you know, like us!), it seems a little scary and they worry they might get burned; the item may get sent back at the border; it might never arrive; they`ve heard horror stories about other postal systems, and they`ve heard there is a tonne of paperwork and customs forms.

I`ve walked some of those sellers through the process, reassured them that the `mass of forms` is just a little tag that says what the parcel contains and how much it cost, that they can get the price from the UPS site, any border fees are the buyers responsibility and turn up when the buyer receives the parcel (so no worry for the seller).

Most are then willing to try - are happy to find it is not an issue - and then usually open their other listing to Canada.  Which is good, because otherwise they are cutting themselves off from a  good portion of a potential market.Seller's with outrageous ship prices really are cutting off a good piece of their market.  I once did and informal survey of the prices a certain item fetched over a few months.  Anytime one went for a very low price, I saw it was from a seller who didn't ship to Canada!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

The USPS will pick up parcels to US destinations at the seller's home, but to ship outside the USA, the seller has to make a specific trip to the PO and wait in line to ship.

For small sellers, especially those with small children or in rural areas, this can present difficulities.

In contrast, Canadian sellers can drop any parcel for any destination into the nearest corner postbox.

Also in the US, domestic Confirmation of Delivery costs about 25 cents. Delivery Confirmed service to Canada starts around $20. You may find that some sellers who do ship to Canada will have surprisingly high S&H because of this.

As suggested, always ask the seller. Those who are really adamant about not shipping to foreign destinations will have your question blocked. Others may never have thought of it.

Don't allow sellers to ship to Canada by UPS.

You can also weed out xenophobic sellers by searching on the eBaydotCA site rather than eBaydotCOM.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

oskye
Community Member

Sorry - slight finger slip above.

..."get the price from the UPS site, any border fees"...

-  I meant USPS !!

Yeah, you don't want UPS or Fedex or whatever because they charge you an extra brokerage fee just for the pleasure of carrying your item across the border and "all" the paperwork, etc.  This fee can be quite significant.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply