Am I being too suspicious of this seller?

So I bought something 2 weeks ago, seller messages me yesterday asking if they can refund me and have me pay them at a different Paypal address. Offers to give me $5 off my purchase for this favor. Big red flag, I respond heck no and posted neg feedback immediately (I've had cases in the past where I got a refund for something never received, but they took the item down or something and I couldn't leave feedback as a warning to others). I also put a reminder in my phone to follow up the day after the estimated delivery date so I won't miss the dispute window, as I assume now it's all a big scam. 

I assumed that the tracking number they posted was bogus and they never really sent it, but I just checked and it actually has my postal code, which surprised me. Was I jumping the gun and being unfair to this seller? Any chance this could actually be a valid request and not a big scam?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I agree that is a red flag, although the tracking number is reassuring.

But now I wonder what's in the package?

Remember that in addition to a Dispute* for Item Not Received, that you can also make a dispute for Not As Described and that an INR can be changed to a NAD if necessary.

The only problem with the negative FB, is that those are really hard to remove if the transaction actually ends up being fine.

I've had cases in the past where I got a refund for something never received, but they took the item down or something and I couldn't leave feedback as a warning to others).

That's odd. Usually the winner of a dispute can leave appropriate feedback. There is a perk for PowerSellers that blocks FB for seven days, which most of us peasant sellers don't have.

* which can be opened in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Is it that you can't leave feedback for 7 days after the dispute, or from purchase? Those would have been a while after purchase. I figured there was some loophole they were taking advantage of, because I just got a message that the item no longer existed when I tried to leave the feedback. It's possible I misunderstood the issue.

I agree on the feedback, that's why I'm second guessing myself now. I don't want to be scammed, but I don't want to "scam" either. I just wanted to make sure I could  leave feedback, but now I think maybe I jumped the gun.

I'll definitely keep the NAD in mind if the item in the package isn't right.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply